PDA

View Full Version : Why are Geotrax so expensive? Any good alternatives?

misshollygolightly
11-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I want to buy a build-your-own road type toy for a 2yo boy in the family we've adopted for Christmas (through the Salvation Army). I know he likes cars and trucks and likes to build roads, though he doesn't have any sets of his own. I'm having a hard time finding a build-your-own road set that is age-appropriate and reasonably priced! The HotWheels stuff is the right price, but too fidgety and difficult for a 2yo, I think. But the Geotrax stuff (which I think would be perfect!) is sooo expensive! WHY is it so expensive? Is it really worth it? Would a 2yo be content with a small set, or do you really need a lot of it to have any play value? My other alternative, I guess, is some of the plastic Thomas stuff, but I don't know if he's into trains (just said cars and trucks), and I hardly know where to start with the Thomas stuff because there's just so much of it! Suggestions? I want to be able to buy one "starter set" kind of thing that will be entertaining enough for a 2yo for a good while even if he never gets an expansion pack. I might be able to get a second vehicle or piece of track for his stocking. And I'd prefer to spend under $30 on this part of his gift (preferably less...but maybe that's not realistic?).

elbenn
11-10-2011, 08:51 PM
It's not under $30, but I just ordered the Timbertown Geotrax set on Amazon for $40. If you have other items you want and you have a master card, you can do a special today where if you order $100 of toys, you get $10 off today and they send you a coupon for $10 off $50 for a future purchase. There is a separate thread about it with the coupon code.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-GeoTrax-Control-Timbertown-Railway/dp/B001W1YG56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320972571&sr=8-1

MissyL11
11-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Not Geotrax but look at the Iplay Build A Road sets on amazon. My DS has it and loves it. It comes with a track that can be put together and 2 cars. The only problem is the cars take batteries so you might want to include a set of batteries with it.

misshollygolightly
11-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Not Geotrax but look at the Iplay Build A Road sets on amazon. My DS has it and loves it. It comes with a track that can be put together and 2 cars. The only problem is the cars take batteries so you might want to include a set of batteries with it.

Oooh, thanks! This looks awesome! I found a set for 23.95 w/ free shipping! Thanks so much :-)

MissyL11
11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
No problem....glad I could help. My DS got it when he was 2 and now he is 4 and still plays with it. I am sure the boy will love it.

kristac
11-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Late to post but look at this :)

http://www.littletikes.com/kids-toys/little-tikes-big-adventures-construction-peak-rail-road