PDA

View Full Version : If you have a 2nd fridge or freezer...

Twoboos
11-10-2011, 09:54 PM
where is it in your house?

Our 2nd fridge is in the garage right now, but I'm wondering if it would be better in the basement. Less temperature fluctuations to worry about?

lhafer
11-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I had to get a second frig when my breastmilk decided to take over our regular frig. I keep it in our laundry room. We don't have a basement. We could keep it in the garage, but our summers get 100+ degrees frequently, so I am not sure if that would make it run all the time.

hellokitty
11-10-2011, 10:15 PM
We have a second fridge in the garage and a deep freezer in the basement. I like having the fridge in the garage, b/c when I buy stuff that I usually put in there (organic milk, which my kids go through a lot of, produce, yogurt, etc.), I can just unload it directly from the car into the fridge instead of lugging it through the house and down into the basement.

kristenk
11-10-2011, 10:20 PM
We have a second fridge in the garage. The only problem (and it's a biggish one) that we run into is that the freezer starts thawing when it's cold enough outside. For our fridge (and maybe a lot of others?) the thermostat that controls the temp of the fridge *and* freezer is in the fridge. When the fridge temp hits a certain point, the motor kicks in and cold air goes into the fridge AND freezer. During the winter, the air in the garage is so cold that the fridge temp doesn't rise as much as normal so the motor isn't running as much. That's fine for the fridge, but not enough cooling for the freezer. Thus, lots of stuff that's not staying frozen.

The garage freezer doesn't get much use during the winter months.

HIU8
11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Second fridge/freezer and separate upright deep freeze are both in the basement. IF we had room in the garage I think I would I would like it there only b/c it's not as far to get to it.

ahisma
11-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Chest freezer. Basement.

We don't have a garage.

KrisM
11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
We have ours in the garage and bought a model made for the garage, so no issues with the freezer not working right.

lil_acorn
11-10-2011, 10:52 PM
extra fridge is in the basement. I know some people leave theirs in teh garage if they use grocery delivery services.

maestramommy
11-10-2011, 10:53 PM
We have a second fridge, actually the newer fridge, in the basement. The one in the kitchen came with the house.

JMS
11-10-2011, 10:54 PM
We have ours in the garage and bought a model made for the garage, so no issues with the freezer not working right.
:yeahthat:
We have a Gladiator (made by Whirlpool I think) that we bought at Sears. It's made for extreme temperatures and works great. We also have one in the basement in our new house (came with house), but my plan is to leave it unplugged except for parties or special situations where I need more refrigerator/freezer space. It seems so easy to leave the overflow in the garage b/c that's how I get from my car to my kitchen.

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
basement.

Beth

KrisM
11-10-2011, 11:06 PM
:yeahthat:
We have a Gladiator (made by Whirlpool I think) that we bought at Sears. It's made for extreme temperatures and works great. We also have one in the basement in our new house (came with house), but my plan is to leave it unplugged except for parties or special situations where I need more refrigerator/freezer space. It seems so easy to leave the overflow in the garage b/c that's how I get from my car to my kitchen.

Thank you. I couldn't remember Gladiator and was too lazy to Google it :).

Kymberley
11-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Both are in our kitchen, along with a small deep freeze.

babyonway
11-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Second fridge/freezer and deep freeze (for BM) in garage.

We have a second fridge in the garage. The only problem (and it's a biggish one) that we run into is that the freezer starts thawing when it's cold enough outside. For our fridge (and maybe a lot of others?) the thermostat that controls the temp of the fridge *and* freezer is in the fridge. When the fridge temp hits a certain point, the motor kicks in and cold air goes into the fridge AND freezer. During the winter, the air in the garage is so cold that the fridge temp doesn't rise as much as normal so the motor isn't running as much. That's fine for the fridge, but not enough cooling for the freezer. Thus, lots of stuff that's not staying frozen.

I had this problem too and didn't realize what the problem was until I had a fridge guy come look at it. Bought a refridgerator heater (http://frigidaire.stores.yahoo.net/gakithecokit.html)for about 20 bucks and fixes the problem with the freezer in the winter months.

wellyes
11-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Chest freezer. Basement.

We don't have a garage.
me too.

connor_mommy
11-11-2011, 01:08 AM

I had this problem too and didn't realize what the problem was until I had a fridge guy come look at it. Bought a refridgerator heater (http://frigidaire.stores.yahoo.net/gakithecokit.html)for about 20 bucks and fixes the problem with the freezer in the winter months.

Was the refridgerator heater easy to install?

twowhat?
11-11-2011, 01:14 AM

I read about these issues as well when looking into getting a garagae fridge. We ended up getting one (garage is the only place we'd have room for a second fridge) and I think our winters are mild enough to not have this problem but if not then we'll get the heater as well.

One thing to think about - apparently most fridge manufacturers will VOID the warranty on a garage refrigerator.

LexyLou
11-11-2011, 02:02 AM
2nd fridge/freezer in the garage. No basement here in CA. It's actually our old fridge before we upgraded to the french doors.

MommyAllison
11-11-2011, 02:16 AM
2nd freezer is in the basement - and the steps go down from the kitchen, so it is very close. Our garage is detached, so we'd have to get bundled up in the winter to go out to the freezer.

ladysoapmaker
11-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Yesterday DH finally got the 2nd freezer (that no longer worked) out of the basement and cleared enough space to move the chest freezer from the detached garage.

We no longer have to walk outside to get food from the freezer. YEAH!

Jen

Pyrodjm
11-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Chest freezer. Basement.

We don't have a garage.

Same here.

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Ours is in the basement, but that is because we don't have a garage, not for temperature reason.

amldaley
11-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Our is in the garage, as we do not have a basement.

It gets plenty hot and humid here in the summer and I do wish we had a more stable place to keep it. It has to run pretty hard in the summer.

I would only move it to a basement if the basement is dry. Ever place I have ever had a basement was very near a body of water, so they were all fairly damp. Stuff just rusts out faster.