PDA

View Full Version : Kindle 3G or Kindle 3G Touch?

Tammy
11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm a beginner with the e-readers and would like one for Christmas. I don't see much difference between these besides a slight size variation and the 3G has a keyboard and the Touch is multi-touch it says. Just looking for opinions on which you like better and why? Thanks!

icunurse
11-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I haven't played with the Touch, but one concern I have been hearing is that having to touch the reading screen could cause smears over your reading surface. Not sure how valid a concern it is, but maybe check into it or perhaps someone here can address it?

ahisma
11-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Do you plan to type, take notes, etc. on it? If so, I'd go with the keyboard.

I don't type but have the keyboard. The keys don't bother me.

DH does type (note taking for books he teaches, evaluates, etc.) and has the keyboard. He said that he can't imagine typing on the touch. As someone who types on the iPhone I totally understand where he is coming from.

kboyle
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
i prefer the button vs the touch screen to turn the pages. it's kinda a pain to swipe at every page turn.

wildfire
11-13-2011, 02:40 AM
I have a nook touch, so I can't give specifics on the Kindle, but I think some of it is very similar. The screen on the nook doesn't really get many noticable finger prints on it (same screen as the Kindle), I also don't swipe when eating. My cover came with a cloth so if it does, it's easy to clean. Usually if I'm using the cleaning cloth it's because of dust or lint that is bothering me. :) The nook also has buttons at the side if you don't want to swipe (and I can set it for which buttons are forward or back), I would guess the Kindle may have something similar. I like not having a keyboard and having the more compact reader.

Maybe check and see if your local Best Buy has any that you can play with. Actually touching and feeling the reader is the best way to decide, I think.

eagle
11-13-2011, 05:46 AM
not sure but i think you can tap (maybe you can swipe as well? dont know) the screen to turn pages