PDA

View Full Version : NYC Mamas, help : ) - Maclaren Volo? WWYD

berlinsoul
11-11-2011, 06:19 AM
A friend of mine, living in NYC, is getting her first child.
As her main stroller she got the B-Agile as a gift and seems pretty happy with this choice.

As a lightweight stroller she was about to register for a Mac Volo and I said that I don't think this might be a good idea (no recline, smallish wheels, not usable after birth, less comfortable for the baby and the parents then a stroller with slightly bigger wheels and recline). Of course it's one of the lightest strollers on the market and it is perfect for NY public transport.
She said, everybody in NYC does use a Volo.
What would you recommend? I told her to look at the Cybex Ruby or Onyx or Uppa Baby G-Luxe, but I have no experience with both of them.

(I told her to wait after the baby is born and she knows better what is important to her, but she really wants to put it on her registry list.)

Thanks for your advise!! :loveeyes:

mmommy
11-11-2011, 08:31 AM
In NYC and love the Volo. Great for when your kid is too big to wear and too small to walk and you need to run about town and use the subway.

swissair81
11-11-2011, 09:14 AM
She could always get a Triumph or a Quest. Just tell her she can't use them for the first few months. I have no experience with either Cybex or G-Luxe. I also don't own an umbrella stroller (on purpose), so what do I know?

crl
11-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Well the Ruby doesn't have full recline and is heavier than the volo so I wouldn't suggest it and the Onyx seems awfully heavy to me for the NYC subway where you have to carry the stroller up and down stairs. (Loved my Onyx though.)

Since she is getting the B-Agile, she might be fine baby wearing until the baby is able to sit in the volo. I'm not are what the B-Agile weighs, but I would guess based on my memory of the BJCM that anything with a cushy seat and full recline will not be all that much lighter.

Maybe a MacLaren Ryder, like Albert Thurston? Not sure if you can register for those though since they aren't a current release. Someone recently had a thread on the perfect stroller for Paris and their metro. That might be helpful.

Catherine

ETA: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=405586&highlight=Paris

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Not in NYC, but I live in a major metro area and have a Volo. I really like the Volo although it took me a while to come around to it. The wheels are small but the ride isn't bad considering how small they are. DD absolutely LOVES this stroller, to the point where she screams when I try to put her in the BJCM now. I love how light it is and the arm strap is awesome. DD likes to walk sometimes now, and it is nice to be able to easily carry the stroller and hold her hand. Just make sure your friend knows that she can't use the Volo until her baby is bigger and doesn't need the recline (is that 6 months old? It seems upright for a 6 month old to me. I probably wouldn't use it until 10+ months personally. I got it for my DD when she was over a year old).

♥ms.pacman♥
11-11-2011, 09:30 AM
not in NYC, but I have a Volo. it was the perfect stroller when we stayed in downtown Toronto with DS (we didn't have a car, just used subways). the lightness and how you can carry it with the strap while going up and down subway stairs is great. also, the small size is great for when you have to go in those tiny little convenience stores and such. a BJCM or such would have been way too cumbersome IMO.

Minnifer
11-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Also in NYC and, yes, lots of Volo love here, but I think she should either hold off or get a slightly heavier umbrella w/a recline that she can use starting at 3 months (Quest or G-Luxe - I don't like Macs b/c I kick the back when I walk so prefer Uppas). Even if she waits until 6 mos like she needs to to use the Volo, I think she's gonna regret not having a recline esp if she is out and about with the baby for a while, as most of us in the city tend to be. Before 3 months she'll probably want to babywear anyway, as PPs have mentioned, or she can just use the B-Agile which, even though heavier, is so easy to fold it should be manageable (I've known plenty of people who have used their BJCM on public transportation). I almost hate to mention it but she may want to also have a snap n go frame and bucket seat which is super convenient for taxis and restaurants in that first 3 months - I didn't do it this time w/DS but in retrospect it would have been nice to have as an option.

berlinsoul
11-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks you all. This was really helpful!!
So, I will tell her to go with the Volo but not using it for the first 9-10 months.
I recommended the Quest, but now I am afraid she won't be happy with the extra weight. And if so many people are happy with the Volo, she cannot go wrong :), right!?
@ Catherine: I thought the Ryder is as heavy as the Quest? This might be too much for her. Besides, she is as small as I am so handlebars might be too high.
@ Minnifer: Great, I will tell her about the snap&go option. but I have no idea what a bucket seat means ;)

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I have no idea what a bucket seat means ;)

Infant car seats

berlinsoul
11-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Infant car seats

ah ok, thanks :)

crl
11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks you all. This was really helpful!!
So, I will tell her to go with the Volo but not using it for the first 9-10 months.
I recommended the Quest, but now I am afraid she won't be happy with the extra weight. And if so many people are happy with the Volo, she cannot go wrong :), right!?
@ Catherine: I thought the Ryder is as heavy as the Quest? This might be too much for her. Besides, she is as small as I am so handlebars might be too high.
@ Minnifer: Great, I will tell her about the snap&go option. but I have no idea what a bucket seat means ;)

I am not sure of the exact weights, but I am sure the Ryders are heavier than the volo. But I also think the Ryders are lighter than the Cybex Onyx and most other umbrellas with a flat recline. I'd probably just baby wear until a volo would work, but some people don't like babywearing, etc. If I really needed a NYC subway stroller with good recline though, I'd be looking at a Ryder, because I think it is one of the lightest that has that. That's why I mentioned it. Hope that makes sense!

Catherine

ETA. Oh, and as a general FYI, the Cybex handlebars are really high!

jerry_mishkata
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
A friend of mine, living in NYC, is getting her first child.
As her main stroller she got the B-Agile as a gift and seems pretty happy with this choice.

As a lightweight stroller she was about to register for a Mac Volo and I said that I don't think this might be a good idea (no recline, smallish wheels, not usable after birth, less comfortable for the baby and the parents then a stroller with slightly bigger wheels and recline). Of course it's one of the lightest strollers on the market and it is perfect for NY public transport.
She said, everybody in NYC does use a Volo.
What would you recommend? I told her to look at the Cybex Ruby or Onyx or Uppa Baby G-Luxe, but I have no experience with both of them.

(I told her to wait after the baby is born and she knows better what is important to her, but she really wants to put it on her registry list.)

Thanks for your advise!! :loveeyes:

Tell her to definitely register for an ErgoBaby, it is MUCH more convenient in NYC than the lightest stroller! It is the first choice for many parents here, especially ones using public transport.

Volo or g-lite are both great choices for using subway or buses in NYC. I see so many quests and gluxes here though, NYC parents often spend more than 2-3 hours out doing errands and then a recline for the kid to nap becomes important. I am very weak-handed (due to injuries to wrists) and I used a g-luxe since 6 months (wore DD exclusively before that, she hated strollers). The recline mattered, I could go to the zoo, park, etc with subway and come back in the evening. DD would have a place to nap if I didn't wear hrt for some reason (say it was too hot).