PDA

View Full Version : On this Veterans Day...

TwoBees
11-11-2011, 09:35 AM
I want to give a giant BBB shout-out and thank you to all of the veterans and active military and their families (I know there are a bunch on here) for giving so much for our freedom. We love you.

:bighand::applause::thumbsup::heartbeat::grouphug: :superhero:

amldaley
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I was thinking about this earlier. You were all so supportive during DH's last deployment and I don't know how I would face his upcoming one without the BBB. So thank YOU all! Thank you for the love and support and humor you provide our military families with on the Board.

hillview
11-11-2011, 10:05 AM
i want to give a giant bbb shout-out and thank you to all of the veterans and active military and their families (i know there are a bunch on here) for giving so much for our freedom. We love you.

thank you all!

TwinFoxes
11-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I want to give a giant BBB shout-out and thank you to all of the veterans and active military and their families (I know there are a bunch on here) for giving so much for our freedom. We love you.

:yeahthat: Families go through so much without a lot of acknowledgment.

DietCokeLover
11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
There are no adequate words to express my level of appreciation.

BabyMine
11-11-2011, 10:27 AM

:yeahthat:THANK YOU !!!!!!

JTsMom
11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Great idea. Thank you very much military members and families!
:cheerleader1::bowdown::bighand:

♥ms.pacman♥
11-11-2011, 10:40 AM

:yeahthat:

pretty much says it all...can't thank you guys enough!

:signthankspin:

lmwbasye
11-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I was thinking about this earlier. You were all so supportive during DH's last deployment and I don't know how I would face his upcoming one without the BBB. So thank YOU all! Thank you for the love and support and humor you provide our military families with on the Board.

I wholeheartedly agree here. You are also all so patient with my seemingly constant BP. The support is appreciated more than you know and this board is very often my sanity when I think I might lose it. So, thank you!

SkyrMommy
11-11-2011, 11:05 AM

:hug: Well said.

plusbellelavie
11-11-2011, 11:11 AM

:yeahthat: A very big THANK YOU for all you and your family and to your active duty family member for all they do for this country! It is greatly appreciated even if it is not always expressed. You are all so awesome!

crl
11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Would people post their military service and family members' service? I am convinced that we as a nation fail to appreciate service adequately in part because we fail to identify with those who serve--military service seems foreign and removed to so many people. I think sharing puts a "face" on the people we are sending off into war (declared or not).

My father served for 20 years in the Army. My father-in-law served 26 in the Air Force. My BIL is active duty Air Force. My SIL served in the USMC. And dh served 13 years in the USMC.

Thank you to all who serve and their families.

Catherine

roseyloxs
11-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the support! BBB (especially the stroller board) have been a great escape for me on hard days.

Thanks to all the other past and present military members and families! Its been such an honor to be part of this amazing family.

missym
11-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks to all of our veterans, current service members, and their families!
:bighand::cheerleader1::bighand::cheerleader1:

boogiemomz
11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, indeed. Your sacrifices are immensely appreciated and far too seldom acknowledge. Love and thanks. :grouphug:

Cam&Clay
11-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Well, you are welcome! And thank you to everyone on the BBB who has supported me through deployments and being 6 hours away from DH for two years! I couldn't have done it without you all!

DH is in Afghanistan now and says they had a brief ceremony there this morning but it's business as usual. We miss him so much.

DS2's preschool is having a ceremony in about a half hour. DH will be featured in a power point about veterans. I'm hoping it will help attach some meaning to why Daddy is away right now. He still thinks he is coming home "tomorrow."

dcmom2b3
11-11-2011, 11:58 AM
My dad was among the Allied forces that liberated Buchenwald. He refused to talk about it when I asked. But, over the years things seeped out, including his seeing lampshades made of human skin. He cried remembering that.

I have the utmost respect for military families. Thank you for your sacrifices, your commitment, your honor and courage. Today, and every day.

smiles33
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Thank you all to our past, current, and future members of the armed services! I like CRL's idea to list affiliations. I don't think of ours as a military family since it's 2 generations removed now. None of our parents served (other than my dad's compulsory 1 year service in Taiwan before he left for the US to earn his PhD).

My maternal grandfather was a colonel in the Chinese Nationalist army and he eventually fled with the rest of the army when Communist forces took over in the 1940s. Ironically, DH's grandfather (a 2nd generation American-born Chinese man) was the only non-white member of his US Army unit during WWII and sent to the Pacific region. Unlike Japanese Americans who were in segregated units, DH's grandfather was the only Chinese-American in his unit. His army buddies called him Spud (he is only about 5'5"). I get chills whenever he has talked about flying over the "Hump" and being more terrified during that flight than being on the ground.

Anyhow, I always thought it was amazing that DH's grandfather was in China trying to help the Nationalist Army during WWII fight the Communists and Japanese forces. Makes me wonder if they ever crossed paths. Sadly, my maternal grandfather passed when I was 2 or 3 so I don't recall anything about him.

wimama
11-11-2011, 12:37 PM
:yeahthat: Thank you!

AnnieW625
11-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you to all of the vets out there!

My side of the family
One of my paternal great grandfathers served in the Army during WWI
One of my paternal great grandfathers served in the Navy during WWI
My paternal grandfather served in the Navy during WWII
Three of my great uncles served in the Army in WWII
My uncle served as a Huey pilot in the army in Vietnam
My uncle spent 40 yrs. as a reservist with the Air Force, and now works with the National Guard.
My cousin spent 8 yrs. as a mechanical engineer I the Air Force
My cousin is currently on active duty as a weapons officer in the Air Force.
My mom says that is rumored that we had relatives who were straight off the boat from Ireland and were Confedreate gun runners during the Civil War.

DH's family
FIL spent 20 yrs. in the Air Force as a jet engine mechanic, he spent time in Thailand during Vietnam.
DH's maternal grandfather was in the Army in WWII, and landed at Normandy. He was part of the forces that liberated France.
DH's grandfather was in the Army Air Corp in WWII, and then the Air Force in Korea, and Vietnam.
DH had three aunts in the Army; one went to Iraq twice
DH had one uncle in the Army during Vietnam
DH had one uncle in the Navy
DH has one cousin in the Navy
DH has one cousin in the Air Force
DH has one cousin who is in the Army reserves

rlu
11-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Would you all please send up P+PT for the family of SSGT Stephen Dunning, USMC EOD, who was killed in Afghanistan two weeks ago? I am friends with his mom and attending his memorial service tomorrow. If you feel moved to do so, the family is asking for donations to the Wounded EOD Warriors Foundation in Steve’s name, WWW.WoundedEODWarrior.org.

FIL was a Marine and an atomic veteran, meaning he witnessed an atomic test done in the late 50s. It is presumed that exposure caused the cancers that took him from us ten years ago (he never met DS).

DH's paternal grandfather was career Navy.

My dad served in the Navy as did his brother.

elektra
11-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Yes, thank you to all the military families!

larig
11-11-2011, 01:52 PM
yes, thanks to you all! The children and spouses of the deployed deserve our care and support so much. Thank you for what you do for your spouses. And thanks to your spouses for volunteering to protect our country.

And, thanks to past vets and their sacrifices. If you haven't seen google's search page today, take a look, it's quite lovely.