PDA

View Full Version : Inequality

arivecchi
11-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Given the recent discussions about the amounts of money brought in by big 10 football programs and the Wall Street protests, I found this opinion piece really interesting. I had not thought about all the forms of inequality we are perfectly ok with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/opinion/the-inequality-map.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

hillview
11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Given the recent discussions about the amounts of money brought in by big 10 football programs and the Wall Street protests, I found this opinion piece really interesting. I had not thought about all the forms of inequality we are perfectly ok with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/opinion/the-inequality-map.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Humm thanks this is food for thought. I agree a lot of it I don't think a lot about.
/hillary

wellyes
11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Brooks is such a deft writer. His critical eye on the culture is sharp. But - at the same time - this is a strangely fluffly piece for him to publish in a time when every major city is erecting a Hooverville-style encampment. I pass by "Occupy Boston" every time I walk to work. I have to think making a wry little humor column on inequality right at this moment is a bit of a slap at that movement.

liamsmom
11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
That was pretty interesting. I agree that I don't have a problem with the elite-status passengers getting a separate line/services for flying. Most of them are flying every week for work and know what they're doing. Heck, I do my best to get behind the lone business man in line at airport security because I know he'll be fast. I do have a big problem with the "express" lines at amusement parks. Rich people do not get on and off roller coasters any faster than we commoners.

When I was a kid, I remember my dad talking about a new co-worker from India. The man was having a hard time adapting to the office culture. Basically, he expected the secretaries and other subordinates to literally stand behind him when walking around the office. As you can imagine, they weren't having it.

georgiegirl
11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Too funny.

Although I disagree about supermarket inequality...it's okay to feel superior when shopping at Whole Foods v. Safeway...lol. But at the same time, target is super cool.

roseyloxs
11-11-2011, 11:57 AM
this is a strangely fluffly piece for him to publish in a time when every major city is erecting a Hooverville-style encampment. I pass by "Occupy Boston" every time I walk to work. I have to think making a wry little humor column on inequality right at this moment is a bit of a slap at that movement.

Agreed. It seemed like fluff to me and I did not find it all that thought provoking. I saw my first group of 'Occupy' protesters this weekend in Trier, Germany. It's spreading....

arivecchi
11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I am sure it is meant as a reality check for the protesters in a way. Is it not ok to point out that they are complaining about one type of inequality but not others? It does not make a whole lot of sense to me to complain about CEO pay but be ok with what celebrities and sports stars make.

arivecchi
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Agreed. It seemed like fluff to me and I did not find it all that thought provoking. I saw my first group of 'Occupy' protesters this weekend in Trier, Germany. It's spreading.... I guess your fluff is my interesting. ;). I do think it is though provoking which is why I went through the trouble of posting it.

mommylamb
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Brooks is such a deft writer. His critical eye on the culture is sharp. But - at the same time - this is a strangely fluffly piece for him to publish in a time when every major city is erecting a Hooverville-style encampment. I pass by "Occupy Boston" every time I walk to work. I have to think making a wry little humor column on inequality right at this moment is a bit of a slap at that movement.
:yeahthat: I usually think Brooks brings a really interesting perspective on things. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't, but I respect him most of the time. But, this seemed like a very odd column to me and it did seem like he was being a bit sarcastic in an unnecessary way. I hardly think foreign tourists are seeking him out on the streets to ask about this.

And honestly, I think a lot of his "points" here were just nonsense. First of all, it is perfectly acceptable to wear clothing that signals your religious affiliation. People do it all the time.

Anyway, I really agree with Wellyes that this was a way at poking fun at people who are talking about economic inequality by belittling their cause. And, i say that as someone who is not overly taken by that movement on a personal level.

roseyloxs
11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I am sure it is meant as a reality check for the protesters in a way. Is it not ok to point out that they are complaining about one type of inequality but not others? It does not make a whole lot of sense to me to bitch about CEO pay but be ok with what celebrities and sports stars make.

At least sports stars are not receiving handouts from the gov't and then giving themselves huge bonuses even though they don't perform or produce.

arivecchi
11-11-2011, 12:28 PM
At least sports stars are not receiving handouts from the gov't and then giving themselves huge bonuses even though they don't perform or produce.

Are you referring to the TARP program that has earned the government money?

There are obviously many faults in the banking industry, but at least the banking industry is quite important to our country. Sports and entertainment are great but nowhere near as vital.

roseyloxs
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I guess your fluff is my interesting. ;). I do think it is though provoking which is why I went through the trouble of posting it.

I figured. The concept is interesting but I think the execution was poor. I am sure there are actually legitimate points about inequalities we accept without argument. These points were not worth my time though. They were petty and not all of them were even true IMHO. Airport lines, really?

roseyloxs
11-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Are you referring to the TARP program that has earned the government money?

There are obviously many faults in the banking industry, but at least the banking industry is quite important to our country. Sports and entertainment are great but nowhere near as vital.

I don't know what I am referring to. I gave up trying to read into it because it just makes me angry. I am sadly apathetic about too many things nowadays. I was not arguing that the sports industry should receive handouts but that CEOs should not make as much money as they do when they can't even keep their companies afloat without the taxpayers help.

azazela
11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I liked it. Thanks for posting. :love-retry:

wellyes
11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Sports players pay taxes, or go to jail if they don't. 280 big public firms paid none: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/business/280-big-public-firms-paid-little-us-tax-study-finds.html?scp=2&sq=corporate%20taxes&st=cse

Of course they didn't act illegally, but that's part of what the protesters are protesting against. The absurdity of handouts and breaks to an already very profitable set of industries.