PDA

View Full Version : iPad questions

TwoBees
11-11-2011, 01:14 PM
We are thinking of getting an iPad as a family holiday gift and I have a few questions.
1. Can you set up separate user accounts on the iPad so that different users can access only their apps and email? (Similar to the users accounts with Windows XP, where each person can have their own desktop).

2. Do you like reading books on the iPad? Is it hard on your eyes? How does it compare to the Kindle and Nook?

DietCokeLover
11-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I have no idea about the separate accounts.

But, I really like reading on my ipad. I have looked at my mom's Kindle and I much prefer my ipad. I haven't found it to be hard on my eyes and I confess I am on mine way too much.

wellyes
11-11-2011, 01:26 PM
1. No, but you can adjust where the apps show up. The way we handle is that I put my apps on the first 2 screens, DD's on screen #3 and DH's on screen #4 (his are all geeky games like Fieldrunners).

2. I personally was disappointed in it as an eReader. It's OK but not revelatory the way some people think Kindles are. I don't have a Kindle so I can't compare, but I do think reading a paper book is more comfortable. You can adjust the brightness which does help.

TwoBees
11-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Do both of you find the selection of books available on the ipad to be large enough and diverse enough for you?

KLD313
11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I find it hard on my eyes but I'm very sensitive to light. I just read in night mode so the background is black and the words are white. I find the iPad I'm general too bright so I just turn the brightness all the way down and when my SO uses it he turns it all the way back up.

BayGirl2
11-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I also have a separate screen for DSs apps.

I like it as a reader. I read a lot at night and now can leave the light off so I don't disturb DH or the baby.

The iPad has apps for iBooks, kindle, and others so any book for other readers is available.

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Do both of you find the selection of books available on the ipad to be large enough and diverse enough for you?

You can download a Kindle App for your iPad and have access to the entire Kindle library which is voluminous.

I think it is a decent e-reader but not great. I do find it hard on my eyes after long periods of reading and I think it is a tad too heavy for an e-reader. I much prefer reading on my Kindle, although if the iPad is what is available, I will still read on it.

lhafer
11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Have both a kindle and an iPad (which I'm typing on now). I prefer my kindle as an ereader because I find the iPad bulkier and more awkward to hold. I read in bed at night and have to get in weird positions to prop it up. I don't find it hard on my eyes at all.

Recently I lost my kindle. I want a kindle Fire for Christmas. For me that's the best of both worlds. Fingers crossed.

kboyle
11-11-2011, 04:13 PM
i don't suggest it as an ereader either. i will read some library books on it with the overdrive app, but prefer my nook eink reader. ds1 has also read on it, but prefers the eink, we have gotten him a kindle for xmas.

and no, you can set up user accounts like windows. you can set up more than 1 email account to be pulled in the mail app, but then you have access to each others accounts.

Melaine
11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm happy with my ipad as an ereader but I think I would prefer the Kindle. The ipad is kind of heavy and bulky for reading and I think the Kindle would be better from that aspect. Still, I love the ipad and use it all the time.

peanut520
11-11-2011, 05:00 PM
1. no answer for you
2. i dont really like it. it is especially bad if you are trying to read in the sun on vacation, but it is not great for everything in the sun.

still love my ipad2

roseyloxs
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
1. No and it would be awesome if this feature existed. I also wish it had some sort of kid-mode where you could disable safari, mail, app store, adult apps, etc.

2. We use the kindle app. Its okay. A kindle is easier to read but I don't want to own both so I put up with the ipad or use kindle on my mac.

larig
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
1. No and it would be awesome if this feature existed. I also wish it had some sort of kid-mode where you could disable safari, mail, app store, adult apps, etc.

2. We use the kindle app. Its okay. A kindle is easier to read but I don't want to own both so I put up with the ipad or use kindle on my mac.

I put things in airplane mode when DS has the iPad/iphone. That might help with #1. I have written to apple that there need to be some parent controls. My wish is to limit the volume. DS LOVES to turn it up all the way (he won't use headphones).

For as little as I read on my iPad, it's fine. I wouldn't be a big kindle user if I had one. I haven't read a lot for pleasure since grad school.

Gena
11-11-2011, 08:08 PM

You can disable Safari, YouTube, app store, in app purchases, iTunes, etc through Settings - General - Set Restrictions. You'll need to set up a pass code, then you can easily toggle these features on and off.

DS likes to read on the iPad. I perfer to read on the kindle. DS has low vision, so the backlit screen helps him a lot.