PDA

View Full Version : S/O: Brussel Sprouts at Wegmans

JMS
11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Wegmans has packages shaved brussel sprouts that are so good when cooked! They come with a small packet of chopped shallots and a package of some sort of seasoned oil, that I didn't use.

I sauted the shallots in olive oil then added the brussel sprouts and S&P and continued sauting for about 10 minutes, stirring often. I also made bacon and crumpled in the brussel spouts. My secret ingredient is a little bit of brown sugar. DH, who doesn't really care for brussel sprouts and turned his nose up when he saw it, had seconds! :)

brittone2
11-11-2011, 10:53 PM
I will have to look for these tomorrow. Taking the kids for photos early in the morning and we'll be right near Wegman's. We love brussels sprouts. Sometimes we add a tiny touch of maple syrup. Very good w/ butter and bacon ;)

s7714
11-11-2011, 10:58 PM
No Wegmans near me, but those sound really good!

sewarsh
11-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Wegmans has packages shaved brussel sprouts that are so good when cooked! They come with a small packet of chopped shallots and a package of some sort of seasoned oil, that I didn't use.

I sauted the shallots in olive oil then added the brussel sprouts and S&P and continued sauting for about 10 minutes, stirring often. I also made bacon and crumpled in the brussel spouts. My secret ingredient is a little bit of brown sugar. DH, who doesn't really care for brussel sprouts and turned his nose up when he saw it, had seconds! :)

Are they in the frozen vegetable section?

JMS
11-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Are they in the frozen vegetable section?

No, they are fresh, cut in-store. They are in the produce section, near the fresh squeezed OJ. I liked them so much that I asked about them the next time I was in the store. A guy in the produce department said they were very popular and he thought they would be a regular item and not just seasonal. If you really like brussel sprout and/or your kids will also eat them, buy two packs :)

overcome
11-12-2011, 10:39 AM
I love Brussels sprouts. These sound fabulous! No Wegmans near me. What does shaved mean?

I usually roast Brussel sprouts in oven with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Delish.

lil_acorn
11-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I love Brussels sprouts. These sound fabulous! No Wegmans near me. What does shaved mean?

I usually roast Brussel sprouts in oven with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Delish.

shaved = sliced really really thin - like cole slaw or really thin shaved beef

brittone2
11-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Had some for lunch today. Yummo. I am thinking I'll just send them through my food processor or chop on my own next time. The shaving really ups the surface area so you end up with more carmelized pieces, kwim?

BabyH
11-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Sounds so delicious. DH and I eat brussel sprouts all the time. Usually we just roast them with olive oil and bacon. Yum!

JMS
11-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Had some for lunch today. Yummo. I am thinking I'll just send them through my food processor or chop on my own next time. The shaving really ups the surface area so you end up with more carmelized pieces, kwim?

Yeah, they are a bit pricey. I guess you're paying extra for the convenience. I was thinking about the food processor also. We are living in temporary housing and my FP is in storage. If you try it before me, post a review :)

I think you are right about the carmelized pieces!

amldaley
11-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Shaved Brussels Sprouts????????????????????????????

No Wegmans here but I am off to Google how to shave the sprouts myself....

bekahjean
11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I was at wegman's yesterday and found these shaved sprouts. They were so SO good. I did use the basting oil that they supplied, but I don't know how much additional flavor it added. I also added chopped cooked chicken with a few minutes left in the 10 minutes. It was so good. I think I'll buy them every time I go. I am also going to try slicing them myself, but it might not be worth it depending on the cost per pound. I want to eat it again. Right now.

boolady
11-21-2011, 10:56 AM
It's definitely worth it pricewise to shave them yourself, with a knife or a mandoline.

bekahjean
11-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you tried it with a food processor? I'm planning on buying several pounds of them today, and I know I don't want to spend $6/lb on Brussels sprouts. I just hate cleaning my FP. I do have a ceramic mandolin that would do a good job.