PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy in buying a MB Duet 5 months before DS2 arrives?

fumofu
11-12-2011, 01:49 AM
DH and I test drove a MB Duet last weekend. I like it so much (therefore, DH must love it too :D), I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 20% discount at hipbabygear.com this weekend. Will I get buyer's remorse if I get this so early before my baby even arrives? Are there strollers coming out soon I should hold out for?

I'm intimidated by the wider double strollers, but still like a SBS because my lack of depth perception will not go well with a tandem. We own a Bee+ so we're used to a slim stroller with a great push. I would love the air tires for our stroller hikes on rougher terrain.

What accessories do you all use on your MB's? I read on the other Duet threads that the Mac liners work. How about parent consoles and footmuffs? DS2 will be a spring baby, so I've got time before I need to shop for those. Will my Bugaboo universal footmuff work?

I'm also considering getting the carrycot, but I'm not sure how likely I'll use it. I plan on using the carseat for quick in-and-out trips, and just putting the newborn directly in the fully reclined seat for longer ones.

Whoops, this got a bit long. But it's hard to justify such an expensive purchase. Any comments will be appreciated, thanks!

poohbear
11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Hmmm.... duet resale is tough to determine, but you may end up losing a little money on it. HOwever if you know it's the stroller for you, then I don't see why not...

I actually am considering ordering a bjcmd gt - but I can cancel it up until it ships (which will be after LO #2 is born)...

crl
11-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Personally I'd hold off. I think the Duet looks like an awesome stroller but that is pretty far ahead to buy. Life changes and you might find yourself with different needs that you anticipate so far ahead. And based on my experience with the San Francisco Craigslist, MBs are not that easy to resell (sold two Swifts and both times it took a really good ad with good pictures, a few weeks and selling for what I thought was the minimum fair price given condition).

Catherine

hoodlims
11-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I think you'd be better off re-selling a BOB Duallie, so you may want to look at those.

fumofu
11-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for everyone's input.

crl, I'm in the Bay Area, and am surprised at how few MB's are listed on CL. I just learned of the BJCMD GT through StrollerSWAP, and after reading the specs (http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-869/city-mini-gt-double/Detail) on peppyparents.com, I think this will be too wide for my liking. Same for the BOB Revolution SE Duallie - they're both at 30.5" wide vs 25-26" for the Duet.

The poor resale value would be my only gripe, if I end up finding something I like better and will have to sell the Duet. Maybe the trick is to stop my research after I buy the Duet and just enjoy it for what it is?!

scriptkitten
11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
for rough terrain i'd look at a used bob Revolution duallie.

i have the BOB and the Duet and I have to use my Duet on rough terrain as part of my pre-school commute 2x a week and its not that fun. its definitely not a "navigate the stroller with one hand and casually drink my latte with the other" kind of stroller when you have 60lbs of kid inside.

with the bob i can jump curbs one handed while texting and holding a latte.

hoodlims
11-12-2011, 10:03 PM
for rough terrain i'd look at a used bob Revolution duallie.

with the bob i can jump curbs one handed while texting and holding a latte.

She is apparently much more talented than I am!

poohbear
11-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I changed my mind on my initial comment. I wouldn't buy it now. Somewhere you will be able to get a duet for 10-15% off when you need it. Plus you will lose a few months on the warranty if you buy now. And you have to store it. And your needs might change in the meantime. Or your oldest may go through a growth spurt and suddenly not fit ;)
I would wait...

fumofu
11-14-2011, 01:54 AM
poohbear, do you know if Mountain Buggy's are part of the exclusion list when companies have discounts (like Bugaboo and Uppababy)? I haven't taken notice of MB's til recently.

And also, does the warranty of a stroller start on the day of registration? Will I get the full warranty period if I buy a stroller in 2011 but wait until 2012 to register?

Thanks!

PeppyParents
11-14-2011, 08:44 AM
poohbear, do you know if Mountain Buggy's are part of the exclusion list when companies have discounts (like Bugaboo and Uppababy)? I haven't taken notice of MB's til recently.

And also, does the warranty of a stroller start on the day of registration? Will I get the full warranty period if I buy a stroller in 2011 but wait until 2012 to register?

Thanks!

Hi,

Warranty starts from date of purchase, as the manufacturer will ask to see your proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. Otherwise, everyone would just wait to register the stroller as soon as something breaks on it. :)

poohbear
11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks!

Hi,

Warranty starts from date of purchase, as the manufacturer will ask to see your proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. Otherwise, everyone would just wait to register the stroller as soon as something breaks on it. :)

:yeahthat: Many retailers offer discounts off MB throughout the year inclduing baby on the run/hip baby gear....

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Not a fun answer, but I would wait. You never know what will happen in 5 months. Something amazing and new could come out, your older kiddo might decide that he/she hates the stroller, your older kiddo might go through a major growth spurt (and the duet seats are kind of on the small side) etc. There are always deals to be found. Plus, it will be unused taking up space in your house. I would just wait 3 or 4 months, or even until after the baby arrives. I will probably wear the new baby a lot in the beginning and keep DD in the single stroller for a few months.

fumofu
11-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I will wait til close to or after DS2 arrives to buy a stroller. Maybe something will spark my interest more than the Duet. :)

scriptkitten
11-15-2011, 07:10 AM
She is apparently much more talented than I am!

Lol. I live out of my Bob. It's like an extension of my arm.