PDA

View Full Version : Military Wives or others in the know - Gift ideas for new Navy Commander?

Melbel
11-12-2011, 02:28 PM
A very dear friend's husband had his change of command ceremony on Tuesday. She has been planning details for months, and as I understand it, this is a great honor. With all of the upheaval at DS' school, I have completely forgotten to ask how everything went, even though we have talked several times. :bag Today was my catch up, get myself organized day, and it finally occurred to me that the big day was this past week. They live out of town, so we were not planning on attending the ceremony/reception.

I had also intended to send a gift to mark the big day. Is there an appropriate gift to mark this honor? Perhaps a crystal frame for a picture from the event? Any other thoughts?

roseyloxs
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
A frame sounds nice. I had never thought to get our friends a gift when they got a command. If your friend did a lot of work for the change of command ceremony maybe a small gift for her would be nice too. Does she like massages? or some other pampering type gift card.

AshleyAnn
11-12-2011, 02:47 PM
I've never heard of giving gifts for COC events. A frame would be a good idea if you feel the need to do something

nfowife
11-12-2011, 02:50 PM
What is he taking command of? A framed illustration of the aircraft ( squadron specific) or ship is nice. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Melbel
11-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I've never heard of giving gifts for COC events. A frame would be a good idea if you feel the need to do something

What is he taking command of? A framed illustration of the aircraft ( squadron specific) or ship is nice. Depends on how much you want to spend.

I was not sure if we should send a gift or not. Normally, events that involve a ceremony reception seem to lend themselves to gift giving. Of course I am feeling guilty too for being a slacker friend!

He is actually Fed Ex pilot, but was promoted to Commander for the Navy reserve. I could track down our invitation if that would help clarify.

roseyloxs
11-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Ooh. That's a cute idea. You could do the squadron/batallion/whatever you call it patch too if there is no obvious aircraft/ship/tank type thing to use. Or frame the patch, enlarge a photo of it, something along those lines.

Melbel
11-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Do you have any recommendations on where to find this? In his bio that I helped proof, it states he is with Eagles of VT-7 at NAS Meridian, Mississippi. I know he has served as a flight instructor. It is all so foreign to me, so I apologize if I am not stating it correctly.

roseyloxs
11-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Do you have any recommendations on where to find this? In his bio that I helped proof, it states he is with Eagles of VT-7 at NAS Meridian, Mississippi. I know he has served as a flight instructor. It is all so foreign to me, so I apologize if I am not stating it correctly.

You can google "McDonnell Douglas T-45 Goshawk" to find more images.

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/shared/images/logo_vt7_150x150.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/T-45A_Goshawk_03.jpg/300px-T-45A_Goshawk_03.jpg

Melbel
11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
You can google "McDonnell Douglas T-45 Goshawk" to find more images.

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/shared/images/logo_vt7_150x150.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/T-45A_Goshawk_03.jpg/300px-T-45A_Goshawk_03.jpg

Thank you so much for your help.

nfowife
11-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Here are 2 websites:
https://aviationartofjoemilich.com/t-45-goshawk-tw-2 I've ordered from here, and been very satisfied.

http://usmilitaryart.com/aircraft_profile_drawings.htm I've ordered from here as well. They don't have the T-45 but they can do it. I prefer this one because they can customize the drawing with the VT-7 Logo which is a nice touch. But I don't know your budget.

Another idea is a nice beer stein:
http://www.mugworksonline.com/
with the plane or squadron logo and his title.

Pilotbaby
11-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Flying squadrons often have other names with mascots and squadron colors in a addition to the official name. If you can ask his wife about that, you might be able to find something cute with the mascot or colors.
As the others mentioned, you don't really have to give a gift though, buts its a nice idea:)

amldaley
11-13-2011, 09:55 AM

This is the type of gift that we will receive upon exiting the Command from his subordinate officers.

amldaley
11-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Honestly, unless your affiliation with him is military related, I would not get him anything unit specific. These are the types of gifts he will receive from his military colleagues.

Gifts are usually not given upon taking a Command, but usually when they leave.

Would you have given him a gift is he was a civilian and taking a senior executive position with a corporation?

I think a bottle of champagne or scotch might be nice or some cigars if he partakes in them "at the club" (socializing with his fellow officers at the Officers Club is part and parcel of the job usually unless he is a teatotaler).

nfowife
11-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I was giving my opinion as the wife of a Navy pilot. But seeing as how you are not in the military community, I think Ann-marie's suggestion of liquor or cigars is most appropriate. It's safer to not give a military-related gift. You could also get something for his wife in a cow theme. We call the CO's wife the COW (Commanding Officer's Wife) and the cow print gifts are a fun tradition.

Melbel
11-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Thank you all for your insights on military life. The CO is not a big drinker, and his wife has mentioned in the past that they get alcohol gifts frequently. He does not smoke, so cigars are out. I did find a Waterford frame at a great price on amazon, and with prime quick shipping, I decided this was a safe way to go. Thanks again ladies!

ha98ed14
11-13-2011, 02:17 PM
You could also get something for his wife in a cow theme. We call the CO's wife the COW (Commanding Officer's Wife) and the cow print gifts are a fun tradition.

I just have to say this must really suck if she is a large woman.

amldaley
11-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I just have to say this must really suck if she is a large woman.

It is a term of endearment that, even though the Navy and the USMC now try to call CO's wives the COS (CO's SPOUSE), we still continue the tradition. I have never known one to be offended by it.

amldaley
11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I was giving my opinion as the wife of a Navy pilot. But seeing as how you are not in the military community, I think Ann-marie's suggestion of liquor or cigars is most appropriate. It's safer to not give a military-related gift. You could also get something for his wife in a cow theme. We call the CO's wife the COW (Commanding Officer's Wife) and the cow print gifts are a fun tradition.

That is a really sweet and nice idea.

OP - I know you already found the frame, but I love the above idea, too. It would be a nice way to congratulate your friend, as she has accompanied her husband on his career and recognize the position she now holds.