PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Nutcracker Soldier?

hbridge
11-12-2011, 02:37 PM
DC wants a Nutcracker Soldier for Christmas. While, in theory, this is a simple request, I know that we will be cracking nuts with it so it has to work.

Where do I go and how do I know that it will work?

We live in the middle of no where so an on-line resource might be best. I don't want to spend very much, but since there is very little DC is asking for, I'm not sure of my price point.

elliput
11-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Do you have a World Market close by? Target carries some also.

hbridge
11-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Never heard of World Market and I don't get to Target very much since it's a ways away...

kristac
11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I think the ones at Target are decorative only

s7714
11-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Hmm, I collect Nutcrackers and have yet to see one that is functional AND decorative in the traditional looks like a soldier way. I saw a couple functional ones last year that looked a snowman and Santa... I'll look through the sites I have bookmarked and see if I find anything!

s7714
11-12-2011, 08:37 PM
I think the ones at Target are decorative only

Yes, they are. Most companies make them out of soft woods that wouldn't withstand cracking real nuts. Some of the really expensive ones are supposed to be capable of cracking small softer nuts, but there's no way I'd use them for that considering they're $300+ each! A metal one is ideal when looking for function.