PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a solution: 2 year old wakes up baby sister

mjhom
11-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Help! My 2 year old wakes up in the middle of the night or during naps & flings open her baby sister's bedroom door & wakes her up because she's looking for me. How do I keep her from waking up the baby - who is colicky, by the way. I thought about getting a door latch for the outside but would that be safety hazard if there is a fire? We have a levered door handle so not sure if that would work anyway. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

By the way, we tried telling my 2 year old not to open her sister's door- that strategy has not worked at all... This happens about 2 times a day!!

Thanks!!

Simon
11-12-2011, 09:20 PM
How about a baby gate across the bottom half of either girl's door? You can choose to try and keep Dd1 in her room (though that may lead to very loud yelling). Or, you can keep her out of Dd2's room.

acmom
11-12-2011, 09:31 PM
You could try one of the child proof door knob covers on the baby's door. I think I have seen them for the lever kind of door handles too.

Is she opening that door unintentionally because she thinks its your room? If so, maybe you could put some sort of big sign/picture on the doors so she has a visual reminder which door is which (like a pic of the baby on that door and a pic of you on your door or a stop sign pic on the baby's door).

lhafer
11-12-2011, 09:52 PM
We had safety latches for our lever door knobs in our last house. We've managed to do without them in our current house. But I found they worked very well.

There were these (or something very much like them) http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Dorel-Lever-Handle-Child/dp/B004B4IYJK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321149091&sr=8-3

MomToOne
11-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Why can't she find you? Are you with the baby or in three separate places? Can you be close to her when it's time for her to wake up - at least for the nap time issue?

MoJo
11-13-2011, 07:05 AM
My solution was the two year old sleeps with me. Except that she's now three and still sleeping with me! But at least the baby gets to sleep.