PDA

View Full Version : For fun: Fanstasy Holiday Song Covers

Uno-Mom
11-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I admit it, I'm a sucker for Christmas music. I don't inflict this on my husband, but when I'm alone in the car, those holiday music stations switch on as soon as they become available.

Today Josh Grobin's "Oh Holy Night" came on and I again thought, as always, how utterly satisfying that version is to me! Don't you love it when that perfect match happens between beloved song and artist? Here are a few more of my favorites: Springsteen - "Santa Claus is Coming to Town..." Boney M - "Mary's Boy Child..." (young) Michael Jackson - "Mommy Kissing Santa Claus..."

Well, I got thinking about those "perfect" versions that were NEVER MADE. Here's an abbreviated list of covers I LONG to hear:

Queen - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
Pavarotti - Silent Night (I wouldn't mind if Josh would do this one, too!)
AC/DC - Rudolph (imagine how Bon Scott singing about "reindeer games" hee hee)
Zeppelin - Carol of the Bells
Dave Mathews Band - Winter Wonderland

What would be on your list of fantasy covers??? (Any holiday or folk songs welcome on the list - not just Christmas!)

DietCokeLover
11-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I melt at Josh Groban's O Holy Night. I become a blubbering mess.

rlu
11-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I think Martina McBride could sing the phone book and it would sound great. Just realized she has a second Christmas album, that's going on my list. I love her version of O Holy Night. It looks like between the two she's covered the standards.

Need to think over the fantasy cover idea. Thinking Tom Petty something laid back (I know he was on two of the Special Christmas albums). Wonder what Def Lep would sound good playing.