PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Squash???

trcy
11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
DH's friend gave us his extra acorn squash (no idea why he would have extras). So now we have 4 of them sitting in our kitchen. I have never had acorn squash before and I am unsure how to prepare them. Any ideas? TIA!!!

kedss
11-13-2011, 09:59 AM
cut them in half, put butter and brown sugar in each half and bake them, or you could stuff them and bake?

lizzywednesday
11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
The cafeteria at work does a stuffed peppers-like stuffing for acorn squash and it's one of my favorite dishes!

They will do a grain, like rice or barley, with dried cranberries or raisins, plus chopped nuts in the center portion where the seeds would be. So you could think of it like a pilaf preparation plus roasting.

I've thought about using quinoa instead of rice because it's a complete protein and I wouldn't have to use nuts to make it a good dinner entree.

At any rate, roasting the squash makes it very tasty! (Roast empty in olive oil, salt & pepper, cut side down at like 350F for half an hour to an hour, or 'til the flesh is tender.)

My dad also puts a scoop of apple pie filling into the center and roasts it, stuffed, cut-side up, like I might with a pilaf/stuffing mix like the cafeteria does!

JElaineB
11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
I cut them in half lenthwise (can quarter them as well), scoop out the seeds and microwave them (covered) in a glass pie plate with some water until they are desired tenderness (about 5-10 min for 2 halves depending on size). They do turn out nicer if you bake them but I ususally forget to start them earlier. I like to make a sauce of brown sugar (I use sucanat) or maple syrup with butter, a pinch of salt, walnuts and raisins (in a separate small pot on the stove or if I am really lazy I just throw the sauce ingredients in the hollowed out half for a minute or two in the microwave when they are about done).

rin
11-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Cut them in half & put them cut-side down on a cookie sheet with a little oil, and toss some carrots onto the cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 until soft, probably 45 min or so. Saute up some onions & garlic, throw the onions, garlic, acorn squash, & carrots into a blender with some chicken broth. Simmer the whole affair until the flavors seem blended. I like to add a little fresh rosemary as flavoring, and depending on how it all tastes I might also add a bit of butter, brown sugar, or salt. My DD LOVES this soup!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Like PP's I nuke them until they are done. Then I stuff them with stuffing, spinach and asiago; sometimes veggie sausage. In fact we had that this week. Or you can do soup.

katydid1971
11-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Cut them in half and dig out the seeds. Poke the flesh with a fork then brush it with melted butter fill the cavity with a mix of half cream half maple syrup. Bake at 350* for 45 minute to 1 hour. It is sooooo good. Better the nest day.

trcy
11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Mmmm....all of these ideas seem yummy and easy. I am glad I have 4 of them. Can't wait to try out all of your idea. Thanks!!!!