PDA

View Full Version : what age for Bitty Baby?

lhafer
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
How old was your child when you got them a Bitty Baby (or similar) doll?

My 20 mo old LOVES dolls. She has several. Some are cheaper, some are more real looking (Corolle), and some aren't (Stella doll). DD1 has a Bitty twin (just one of them) but she isn't into dolls, as she says they are too hard. She prefers stuffed animals. DD2 doesn't really play with the Bitty Twin, and I wonder if it's because she has hair. She always gets crazy excited when we go down the doll isle at the store, and she's always drawn to the "baby" looking ones.

Her birthday is in Feb, and was wondering if a Bitty Baby was in order. I wasn't going to get her a doll for Christmas - just doll stuff (stroller, highchair, etc).

newg
11-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Well DD1 got a bitty baby from DH's aunt for her first birthday.......(totally stole my thunder, but that's for another post ;))
I ended up putting it away because it was so much bigger than DD1......and it's actually still in the closet.
DD2 will also be getting a bitty baby from the same aunt this christmas and I'm planning on doing the same thing, as we are giving DD2 a corolle doll.

DD1 also has a corolle doll that DD2 "gave" her last summer.......so she was 2.5.......and it is by far her favorite. It has also become DD2's favorite ;), which is why she is getting one this christmas!

I think the bitty babys are a little too hard to manage at a young age, which is prob. why they suggest 3+. To get them in a stroller or high chair you have to physically move their legs........whereas the corolle dolls have more "floppy" legs.
You could always get it for her and if it doesn't work out just save it for later!

HIU8
11-13-2011, 04:45 PM
DD was 4 when she got a bitty twin (basically a bitty baby with hair). In her case a bitty baby would have been appropriate around 3 1/2 but not earlier.

MommyAllison
11-13-2011, 05:22 PM
DD got one when she was 2, and it has been a favorite ever since. It was not too young for her.

AnnieW625
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I was thinking of getting one for DD2 (from DD1) for Christmas this year but she ended up taking a huge liking to DD1's Baby Huggums doll (made by Madame Alexander that DD1 never played with), which is the perfect size for an 18 month old so now I am thinking of waiting until her 2nd birthday in April.

DD1 rarely plays with her single Bitty Twin doll either because it doesn't have blond hair, and that's the doll she wanted. DD1 never really played with dolls either.

chiisai
11-15-2011, 09:34 PM
DD will be getting a bitty baby for the holidays (will be almost 23 months).

I took it out and looked at it and the only thing I can see is that it might be too heavy for her to lug around. But, other than that, I can't see it being a problem; I don't see her trying to pull the eyelashes off, etc., and the doll won't be in bed with her.

She does have a corolle calin doll, but that hasn't gotten any love. What she does adore is the corolle large rag doll. So, not sure how much she'll like the bitty baby - we'll see!

I did call American Girl about whether it had pthalates, since someone mentioned it to me (I was trying to figure out if that was the reason for the age rating). The CS person said they do, but that they are at approved levels for kids under 3 (those more likely to mouth stuff). I'm ok with this, myself.

abh5e8
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
dd got bitty baby last christmas...she was 3 years 11 months. it was great. at 18 months both she and ds got a baby huggums...and i love this doll for the toddlers. perfect size and nice soft body, but easy to wash the hands/feet/face.

abh5e8
11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
we are giving ds2 (age 14 months) a huggums for christmas this year.