PDA

View Full Version : For 20 month old...tricycle question

BabyH
11-13-2011, 03:01 PM
What do you think? The Radio Flyer Big Wheel or the Schwinn Trike? I know it probably depends on how tall he is and which one would be easier for him to learn to pedal..... but I'm mostly concerned with comfort! My gut feeling is the big wheel.... but I thought I'd ask in case others have personal experience :)

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-79Z-Big-FlyerTM/dp/B002KKCNH6/ref=pd_sim_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Roadster-12-Inch-Trike-Blue/dp/B000TLC4JA/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1321210701&sr=1-1

army_mom
11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't know anything about the Radio Flyer trike but we have the Schwinn Roadster and it is really nice. DD could not reach the pedals (and actually pedal herself) until she was about 2.5 but she has really short legs. She wheels all around now and loves her bike! It is adjustable and I think she will be riding this trike for years to come. I think the Schwinn is super easy to pedal and steer as long as their little legs reach it. I believe it is very popular on this board. Maybe someone who has the Radio Flyer can give some feedback.

If you are not in a hurry, the Schwinn went down to around $30 last year mid December from Walmart or Amazon.

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2011, 03:36 PM
We bought this Fisher Price one last year for ds2 who just turned 3 when we bought it. It gets play every day (we only use it in the house on our hardwoods):
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rock-Roll-Ride-Trike/dp/B00284CAY0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321212804&sr=1-4

I'd pick the Radio Flyer (or this one :)). The Big Wheel style is just more fun, imo! (eta- we own a fancy tricycle and it never god much play so I am biased. Of course, we didn't allow that one in the house!)

Beth

roseyloxs
11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Big Wheels are usually for older toddlers (4/5 and up). The first review states that his tall 4 year old could barely reach the pedals.

mommytoC
11-13-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't know anything about the Radio Flyer trike but we have the Schwinn Roadster and it is really nice. DD could not reach the pedals (and actually pedal herself) until she was about 2.5 but she has really short legs.

DD#2 has the Schwinn Roadster; she could ride it beginning around 22 months, but is very tall (>97th percentile). 6+ months later, the seat is still all the way forward. We both love, love, love the Schwinn, but I would recommend something like the Radio Flyer trike (rather than bigwheel) if you want your DC to ride it now.

wellyes
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Big Wheels are easy to peddle, and easy to crash. For a toddler I'd definitely get a more upright one! More challenging = better at developing skills, worse at getting road rash (there is plenty of time for that down the road LOL).

BabyH
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Big Wheels are easy to peddle, and easy to crash. For a toddler I'd definitely get a more upright one! More challenging = better at developing skills, worse at getting road rash (there is plenty of time for that down the road LOL).

Oh, that's good to know. I guess I thought the closer to the ground he is, the easier it'd be.... (sometimes I don't know why my brain thinks the way it does). I love the look of the big wheel but I can always get him that later. The Schwinn is so cute! I'll track both of them on camelcamelcamel just for my information :)

Thanks to all :)