PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Couponing Question

HIU8
11-13-2011, 07:32 PM
So, I'm watching extreme couponing and I'm wondering something....They mentioned that one of the people gets 13 newspapers weekly. Do you think it's 13 of the same papers or 13 with some the same and some different? I thought maybe they got regional papers b/c the coupons would probably be the same, but I'm not sure.

I'm intrigued by the whole extremeness to the couponing. However, I see a number of items bought that I would not buy (packaged food related at least). I do use coupons on my shopping trips, but not nearly what the ppl featured use.

lalasmama
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I haven't actually watched the show... However, I get multiple newspapers. When I get our local "big" paper, I get two. Why? So I can use *2* coupons on all the 2/$x things! For instance, we have Fruitables juice boxes that DD loves. They come up on sale around her 2/$5. Last time, I only had 1 newspaper, so only one $1 off coupon. Don't get me wrong, I was happy that it was 2/$4... but it could have been 2/$3 had I gotten that second paper!

HIU8
11-13-2011, 09:51 PM
So, and I'm asking this b/c I honestly want to know, it's worth the cost of 2 papers for the coupons? I ask this b/c we don't use a whole lot of the coupons that come each week every single week. Sometimes I get a whole bunch and sometimes it's maybe 1 or 2. I find that I don't use a coupon just b/c it's a coupon if it's not a brand that we already use (but maybe I need to change that).

TwoBees
11-13-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm certainly not an extreme couponer, but I saved $20 at the grocery store over the last 2 weeks using coupons. I only get one paper but a coworker and I do a coupon-swap: after we are each done going through the coupons, we swap what's left. It's great because she uses stuff I don't, and vice versa. I also sometimes print out online coupons . My grocery store also doubles coupons with a face value of up to $0.99. So at $0.75 coupon can be like gold on a low-price item. For example, I got several items today for free because they were $1.50 and I had $0.75 coupons, which doubled. But I don't buy stuff just because I have a coupon---so many of the coupons out there are for processed and packaged items anyway. Also, I didn't plan to get those items for free, I just got lucky that they were on sale for $1.50. :)

HIU8
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I do not believe my main grocery store doubles coupons anymore. It has not happened for me in a LONG time (I have to check on that). I also routinely save $15-$30 a shopping trip without much effort, BUT I'm still spending $120/week (after savings) on food and essentials for a family of 4 (with a 5th adult who eats with us 4 nights a week).

overcome
11-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Check out couponmom.com. Lots of info there. Also they cross reference what your store has on sale with coupons that are out there so you can use a coupon on a sale item and maximize your savings. I've been trying to keep track the past few weeks. It's fun. But I agree, there are coupons for lots of stuff I don't buy. Also, you need to check your store's coupon policy.

Melaine
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I do not believe my main grocery store doubles coupons anymore. It has not happened for me in a LONG time (I have to check on that).

I was going to say the same thing. I'd love to know what stores still double if I have any locally.

HIU8
11-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Ok, my main grocery store doubles coupons up to 99 Cents. You can only do that for 4 identical items. You can only present a total of 16 coupons for a specific item (the first 4 will be doubled if they are below $1 and the rest are face value). Good info to know.

misshollygolightly
11-13-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm not an "extreme" couponer, but it's well worth my while to get two paper subscriptions: one daily local paper and one Sunday subscription for the big city paper nearest me (happens to be the chicago trib). The cost-of-living is higher in the city and companies market more heavily there, so the Trib often has different/more/better coupons than the local paper. But some of them are the same. Anyway, this way I have access to a bigger variety and can stack coupons or stock up on a great deal. Plus, I enjoy reading the Chicago Trib on Sun. afternoons ;)

OKKiddo
11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Also, you can google coupon clipping services and then only order the coupons that you use (but then you can order them in the quantities that you want).

alleycat
11-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Why? So I can use *2* coupons on all the 2/$x things! For instance, we have Fruitables juice boxes that DD loves. They come up on sale around her 2/$5. Last time, I only had 1 newspaper, so only one $1 off coupon. Don't get me wrong, I was happy that it was 2/$4... but it could have been 2/$3 had I gotten that second paper!

You can use two coupons for 2/$x items?? Good to know. Definitely would be happier saving another dollar.

Indianamom2
11-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Melaine,

If you live near a Meijer, they will double all coupons up to $.50 every day.

I've usually only done what I would consider minor couponing, but the last time I did it, I saved something like $30 with the coupons I had plus in-store specials and Meijer coupon doubling. It can definitely be worth it, but you have to be careful not to buy what you don't need/won't really use. A lot of my coupons were for things like toothpaste/brushes, soap, cleaning supplies, deoderant and makeup. All things that won't go bad and most of which I actually needed or would need very soon. But once I've stocked up on those things, then I don't have much need for the coupons.

Melanie
11-14-2011, 12:28 AM
I've always wondered, as well. Whenever I see posts on message boards of all the stuff people are hoarding it looks like such crap or diapers and formula.

We shop at TJs anyway. I do try to remember to use my Costco coupons when they come for the items we stock up on (like TP and Kleenex). I get toiletries at Target, so occasionally will notice a coupon they've sent me or was printed out, but not often. Whenever I have saved coupons they seem to expire before I need them.

This whole sub-culture intrigues me because I feel like if I just spent a little more time I could figure out how it could save me money - LOL. Clearly I must be missing something b/c they're not all just eating Pop Tarts and Jiffy.

wellyes
11-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Yes, I believe they are getting multiple copies of the same paper.

My coupon experience:
- start the Sunday paper subscription thinking "with the coupons it will pay for itself!"
- try couponing, realizing I'm buying stuff I never would have normally
- think "I'll just clip what I would normally buy anyway"
- realize I always forget those, like, 3 coupons
- ignore coupons for a year or two
- see a thread about couponing, think "I should do that", repeat whole cycle.

I don't think couponing is necessarily compatible with the whole "eat only at the exterior aisles of the grocery store" thing. I do know that with a little work I would never have to pay for toothpaste & toilet paper again. But so far I'm not into it.

overcome
11-14-2011, 01:18 AM
My coupon experience:
- start the Sunday paper subscription thinking "with the coupons it will pay for itself!"
- try couponing, realizing I'm buying stuff I never would have normally
- think "I'll just clip what I would normally buy anyway"
- realize I always forget those, like, 3 coupons
- ignore coupons for a year or two
- see a thread about couponing, think "I should do that", repeat whole cycle.

I don't think couponing is necessarily compatible with the whole "eat only at the exterior aisles of the grocery store" thing. I do know that with a little work I would never have to pay for toothpaste & toilet paper again. But so far I'm not into it.

LOL. So funny! I could have written this post. Right now, I am contemplating subscribing to the Sunday paper.

mskitty
11-14-2011, 01:31 AM
So, I'm watching extreme couponing and I'm wondering something....They mentioned that one of the people gets 13 newspapers weekly. Do you think it's 13 of the same papers or 13 with some the same and some different? I thought maybe they got regional papers b/c the coupons would probably be the same, but I'm not sure.

I'm intrigued by the whole extremeness to the couponing. However, I see a number of items bought that I would not buy (packaged food related at least). I do use coupons on my shopping trips, but not nearly what the ppl featured use.

I do a home subscription to the Sunday paper. If it is a really good week (usually the first week of the month), I will go buy an extra paper or two. I also have my aunts and MIL send me coupons through the mail if its something really good like $3 diaper coupons or things that only have a coupon twice a year. Generally I try to combine coupons with a sale price to get the best deal. Sometimes that is the week the coupon is in the paper; sometimes its a few weeks later.

I've done some extreme couponing but it takes a lot of time and energy. Coupon clipping services can be a good deal if you are looking for something specific buts it's not worth actually buying multiple papers. You have to read the preliminary coupon lists before the paper is published as sometimes the coupon services sell out very early with popular ones like Quaker old fashioned oatmeal which is a pretty rare coupon. For just our family, I don't think it is worth it. It was very worthwhile when my husband was in charge of a Christmas family adoption thing for multiple families and was able to get a ton of stuff practically free.

Personally I favor getting rain checks. Get a rain check for a fabulous price and then you have a month to find some great coupons to go with the great price. I did this last month with a one day sale at a local grocery store for $6 Huggies jumbo packs and then found a bunch of $3 Huggies coupons so I bought a bunch of Huggies for $3 a jumbo.

I think it is also good to know the seasonality and cycles of prices. For instance, Super Target has frozen turkey breasts for 99 cents a pound this week. That is a stock up price for me. If I have the space, I'll buy several and put them in the freezer plus cook one this week.

mskitty

ladysoapmaker
11-14-2011, 08:21 AM
I've been couponing since I was a little girl. My mom taught me. I buy 2 newspapers each sunday. Generally the local and one of the near-by cities. And the local paper delivers an ad insert with grocery ad and sometimes coupons to houses that don't get sunday delivery and occasionally I will receive in the mail coupons with the Advo inserts.

I find by going through ads and using coupons I can save about 30% of my grocery bill.

It is easier to use coupons this time of the year as they tend to offer more coupons for staples.

The coupons I don't use, I take to a local group and we exchange them. Also expired and useless to us coupons get pack and sent to a group affiliated with the armed services so they can use them.

Jen

MSWR0319
11-14-2011, 08:33 AM
I saw the episode you are talking about last night and I think he was getting different papers. He may have been getting a couple of each, but I'd say at least a few different papers. Even in one city, the papers can have different coupons. I thinki remember them saying different papers.

I'd check with your Meijer on their doubling policy. Mine will only double up to $.50 on two like coupons.

I don't know that'd call myself "extreme" but I don't pay for toothpaste, toothbrushes,razors,etc. we live in a rural area so I don't get my groceries super cheap because I don't buy a lot of processed food and we only have one local store and a Walmart, with a Meijer about a half hour away. So I figure saving on toiletries let's me spend more on groceries. You can still use coupons, just not to buy stuff they buy on TV. It does take time, so sometimes I just skip hitting the drugstores for the week.

AngelaS
11-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm not a big couponer (I mostly shop Aldi and they don't take coupons) but I can get the Sunday paper for $1 each at the dollar store. :)

catsnkid
11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I usually won't buy 2 papers. Generally I get one. I russle through them to make sure the inserts are the same- sometimes one paper won't have an insert. Then I get my mom's and my neighbor's leftovers. Sometimes I have up to 4 duplicate coupons. We noticed that the NY times had different coupons then the CT papers.
I made out at BJ's on cereal- you can use one MFG coupon per item, and one BJ's coupon. I bought 3 big boxes and "only" had 2 MFG that were buy 2 or 3 BTW. I saved 7 dollars off of 3 double boxes.

HIU8
11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
My couponing friend wants my inserts that I don't use (I cut out the coupons I want). She refuses to buy a paper. Told me point blank that she wants it for free. Now, I paid for my Sunday subscription and I refuse to give her my coupons that I don't use. She is employed. I am not. She can afford to buy a paper and get the coupons. I know a lot of ppl would not agree with me, but I do not like the idea that she told me that she wants it free from me. I feel like I'm being used.

Are coupons very specific to certain areas or all they somewhat regional? Can I get a NYT for the coupons and use them in DC?