PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a pickle ornament?

indigo99
11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd never heard of this until a neighbor brought one to our exchange-an-ornament party last year. Then I saw one at Hallmark and am considering starting it this year, but I'm not sure I want an actual pickle.

Kymberley
11-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Is there a reason behind the pickle? Because I can see getting DH one, he's kind of obsessed with them. :D

indigo99
11-13-2011, 08:54 PM
What I heard is that you hide it somewhere on the tree, and then the child who finds it first gets a reward (like opening the first present).

octmom
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I got one a long time ago, but it broke at some point. When we were at WDW last spring, I bought a new one in Epcot's Germany. I just googled to find the legend to share here and learned that there are some problems with the story: http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm

I still like the idea of it. :)

MommyofAmaya
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM
We have a pickle, but no tradition to accompany it. It was a gift to the pickle-lover of the family (me!).

babystuffbuff
11-13-2011, 09:21 PM
We don't have a pickle ornament, but I do want to order one from my hometown deli, since their pickles are my favorite:

http://www.zingermans.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=P-GPO

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Since FIL is from Germany, yes we do!

Penny's Pappa
11-13-2011, 09:29 PM
I've never heard of such a thing!

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

liamsmom
11-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Ok, I've never heard of this tradition, but...I've had a pickle for about 10 years now! I received one through a Secret Santa at work years ago and was quite delighted at the time. It was my first year of getting a Christmas tree as an adult, and the pickle was pretty much the nicest ornament we had. I'm not sure if I'll to adopt the tradition or not, but I'll certainly think about it.

justlearning
11-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Interesting thread! My grandparents immigrated from Germany and we never celebrated this growing up, nor I have I ever heard of the tradition. DS is giving a presentation next month to his K class about Christmas traditions celebrated in the US that originated from Germany, so it could be fun for him to include a reference to the pickle ornament.

rin
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Interesting! My family's German, and I'd never heard of the pickle tradition until this thread, but it's kind of a fun idea. I've seen the ornaments at stores, but never really thought much about it, I guess. Cute idea!

buddyleebaby
11-13-2011, 09:46 PM
We have a pickle but don't play the game you described.
Ours was part of a set of ornaments for newlyweds. I can't remember what is was supposed to represent.

Ceepa
11-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I've toyed with the idea every year, but then decide I don't want anyone getting upset because they have to wait a year to try again.

vludmilla
11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I used to have one and it broke. It was a Christopher Radko one.

Liziz
11-13-2011, 11:03 PM
We don't, but I grew up with a pickle ornament (and the tradition that the person who found it got a small (very small -- chocolate bar or something) gift). I know I'll want to get one in the future for my family, too.