PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel Glee has jumped the shark?

american_mama
11-14-2011, 01:51 AM
I am almost hating Glee this season. Am I the only one? I think it might be canceled at the end of the season because it is just awful.

I just watched "Pot O Gold", the second to most recent episode, and was practiclly gagging. Half the episode about Brittany's belief in leprechauns and a green-wearing Irish exchange student? Like we care? Quinn appears to be a completely different character; making her angry and vengeful about having lost Finn,her baby, her self-image all is interesting but the "I'll get my baby back" plotline is bizarre. It would be better if she become an insidiuous versin of Sue. And Mercedes has quit Glee - again - but is missing her Glee friends and seeming to re-consider - again. Recycling plotlines in only the third season? Mr. Schue has been reduced to nagging and "you can do it!" style motivation. Does he even have any other dialogue? Sue is always overthe-top and I found it fun, but it's just grating now. She's over-over-over the top.

I googled the Irish charactr and learend about "The Glee Project" and the need to incorporate those reality show winners in various plotlines. The amount of singing talent on the show is increasing and the last scene with Irish boy's voice was pretty cool. But it just seems like the singing numbers are packed together with less and less plot in there, and what plot there is makes little sense.

Am I alone? Do you think the show will make it another season?

kijip
11-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Jumped.the.shark.

It is now unwatchable IMO.

MMMommy
11-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Yes! I thought it jumped the shark way before this season.

94bruin
11-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Not exactly sure what "jumped the shark" means, but I haven't watched any episodes since the first one this season. We have all the episodes on our DVR, but no desire to watch them...

new_mommy25
11-14-2011, 04:11 AM
Boring Boring Boring. I'm over it.

TwinFoxes
11-14-2011, 07:19 AM
I missed the Irish episode, but it doesn't matter because nothing happens on that show! The one I just watched involves Artie setting up the football coach on a date. So lame. Totally jumped the shark.

amldaley
11-14-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't thnk they ever recovered from the "Oops - we are about to lose all our Stars as we made them Seniors too soon, let's just pretend they were Juniors."

Although this past weeks episode was watchable enough that I actually did watch the whole thing.

mariza
11-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I've only ever watched two episodes of Glee and never thought the show was anything but a vehicle for the
music. However, I will admit that I didn't watch in the beginning so there may have been more to it at that point. I do love the music though so I created a Glee station on Pandora and get my Glee fix without the nonsense :)

amldaley
11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Not exactly sure what "jumped the shark" means, but I haven't watched any episodes since the first one this season. We have all the episodes on our DVR, but no desire to watch them...

Jumping the Shark refers to the episode on Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark while waterskiing. It basically means the show has past it's prime, it is grasping at straws to stay alive, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

secchick
11-14-2011, 08:55 AM
I have deleted the last few episodes without watching and just this week deleted the program from my shows to record. It is truly terrible now. It is worse than Heroes in terms of precipitous decline after an awesome first season.

wellyes
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I think it is MUCH better this year than last year! It has always been inconsistent, but there have been stellar episodes. I thought last week's episode about Rachel and Kurt having sex for the first time was surprisingly tender and dignified and sweet. And I'm loving all the West Side Story performances.

From what I understand, the show creator has moved on and is now doing "America Horror Story". So there are a new set of writers, and they are introducing a bunch of characters from the reality show "The Glee Project" (the Irish kid, the new Dalton singer last week who was hitting on Blaine). Goal is to keep the series going, of course. But I don't mind. At some point Brittney was a new kid, and Mike Chang. Blaine's a new kid, too, and he is just so pretty. And charismatic.

I agree the Quinn angle is very lame, they just didn't know what to do with her. But it's kind of a no-win situation.... do you root for the distraught and unstable woman who regrets giving her baby up, or the adoptive mom? But that actress is stunning and has a movie career so they are going to keep her. And any excuse to keep the adoptive mom around, they'll take (I forget her name, the Broadway superstar who is married to Taye Diggs.)

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2011, 10:20 AM
I definitely think this season is really weak, but I have to say that the last episode with Kurt and Blaine and Rachel and Finn losing their virginity was surprisingly good compared to the rest of the season. I think I must have missed the Pot O' Gold episode because I don't remember it at all. It definitely isn't the best show in the world, but it is some thoughtless television that I can watch while I am crocheting baby blankets, so it works.

fortato
11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I think I'm just tired of the same stuff. And I can NOT stand hearing Kurt sing anymore.
Maybe I've graduated....

OH, but if they keep showing Puck with his shirt off, I will keep watching. I'm skanky that way.

wendibird22
11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, pretty lame. The storyline with Brittany and the Irish boy was annoying...nobody is THAT dumb. To me they really jumped the shark last week with Puck and the adoptive mom. Eeeewwwww!

cdlamis
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Jumping the Shark refers to the episode on Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark while waterskiing. It basically means the show has past it's prime, it is grasping at straws to stay alive, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Had no idea about its origin- thanks! I love useless tv trivia. :)

Twin Mom
11-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Haven't watched one episode yet on my Tivo this season so I guess that says alot right there.

gcc2k
11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm still watching, but I can't really tell you why. I really hate the Quinn story-line and now with Puck and the adoptive mom (Idina Menzel) falling for each other it's really turned me off. :barf: But like a PP said, it's mindless television while I pump.

TwinFoxes
11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
But like a PP said, it's mindless television while I pump.

I think pumping does something to your mind that makes you more accepting of really bad TV. I watched "Paris Hilton: My Search for My New BFF". :bag

fauve01
11-14-2011, 12:54 PM
IMO it's been bad for a while! Every week (for a couple years now!) DD and i fast forward through the whole show and only stop to listen to the music.