PDA

View Full Version : Little boy hair cuts?

Edensmum
11-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I have an older dd and have always just trimmed her hair to keep it long, healthy and even. That's not working for ds, as I don't want really long hair for him, so I managed to cut it awhile back into a basic cut that was fine, but he's 23 months old and not cooperative and I'm afraid of getting too close to him with sharp scissors.
I don't really want to buzz cut him, and I don't think he'd sit still for that any better.
What do you do with these little guys to keep them basically tidy looking?

hillview
11-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I used to cut DSs hair in the tub while they were playing. They had longer boy cuts so it wasn't terrible if I wasn't perfect. Around 2.5 or so I took them to a barber. You would be impressed with how well some little ones sit when it is someone else doing the cutting! Oh and I would take them to watch DH get his hair cut too ...

georgiegirl
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
DS has long hair for a boy ( the shaggy cut.). He's 2 and I've cut it about 7 or 8 times. My most recent success involved watching Mickey mouse on my iPad while sucking a sucker. I've also done sucker + feet in the sink with water running. That worked better than bath. When he was younger I'd try to cut it when he fell asleep in his car seat. No matter what I do, it's always relatively uneven somewhere.

I guess I should have been happy that my first, a girl, didn't have hair until she was 2 and I didn't cut her hair for the first time until she was almost 3.

WatchingThemGrow
11-14-2011, 12:46 PM
We go to a kids hair place every 2-3 times. They make it look much better than I do and I can tend to the other DC while the stylist cuts, instead of screaming at them to be quiet while I have scissors in my hand. (just being honest!)

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I always take ds to get haircuts. We found a salon that has a woman that specializes in kids. She has toys, videos (if parents are ok with them), lolipops... :)

Beth

carolinamama
11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I just take the boys in for haircuts. I can't imagine they would stay still for me but they do great for someone else. A lollipop helps too for DS2 but DS1 has outgrown needing anything to stay still. Now they just go to the local Great Clips but I did take them to a kids place that worked really well with videos and such. It's just further away and I'm all for convenience at this point. I think I'm going to try a barber shop soon though to get a better cut for DS1 who has tricky hair.

mom2khj
11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
DH takes DS to the barber, same one he usually goes to but who is also used to doing kids hair. I'm impressed at how well they do with how wiggly he is!

indigo99
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I did it in the bath too for the first cut. He was busy playing with cups, and I gave him his own comb to hold and tried not to let him see the scissors. Once he did, it was over.

The second cut was just recently, and it didn't go as well. He would not be still even in the bath, and it ended up looking horrible for a few days until I could make another attempt. Now it's shorter on one side than the other (since he sits sideways in the tub), but I decided to leave well enough alone for now.

elektra
11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
DH is in charge of hairdos at our house. It's bonding time for him and the kids so he takes them to the haircut place closeby and both kids sit really still when the barber does it.
(FYI- after DH brought DD home with what amounted to a buzz cut that caused way too much family drama that, I now write out specific directions on a piece of paper he hands to the stylist. :))

ahisma
11-14-2011, 01:47 PM
We have a talented local barber who has been cutting hair for 50+ years and charges $8. I used to do it myself but for $10 including tip we go to the pro.