PDA

View Full Version : Email to teacher to notify them about an upcoming absence/vacation?

khalloc
11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
DD is in Kindergarten. We have a vacation planned in early December. She will miss 6 days of school. I was going to email the teacher ahead of time (like today). I figured she might need some time to get materials together in case she wants us to practice stuff with DD while we are gone.

How to word this? I dont want to make it seem like we dont care about school and are taking her away (we are going to Barbados), but I'll probably not do this once she gets a little older because I wont want her missing school work.

What would you write?

lhafer
11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I would just say it like it is. You are going on vacation in early Dec, and she will be missing x, y, z days. Would it be possible to get her school work they will be working on during that time so she can keep up with the class during her absence.

Have an awesome trip!

blisstwins
11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Just make sure you mention that you are sorry for the inconvenience because this kind of thing=extra work for the teacher.

khalloc
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Just make sure you mention that you are sorry for the inconvenience because this kind of thing=extra work for the teacher.

Opps! I already sent the email. We have a parent-teacher meeting next week so I will be sure to thank her then.

kristenk
11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Keep in mind, too, that some schools/districts don't allow teachers to hand out work in advance. A child in DD's class is out this week due to a death in the family and the teacher was unable to hand out any work when the mom asked on Friday due to school policy. :(

khalloc
11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Ok, I am not really that worried about it. I more or less wanted to ask about it just to show I was interested in DD's schoolwork and didnt want her to go 10 days without thinking of school. She is only in Kindergarten and any homework she gets consists of practing sight-words and beginner reading books. I doubt the teacher will tell me to do anything except to continue reading with her on a nightly basis.

vdrake71
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
You might also want to check the policy in your school district. Our school does not give homework to kids before hand if they are taking a vacation. The teachers still gave it to me the day before we left, but we were told that they shouldn't have.

Good luck.