PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix - does yours burn out?

elektra
11-14-2011, 02:20 PM
DH got sucked into the schpeel at Costco and came home with a Vitamix. (His type of solution to my "wish the kids would eat more veggies, I need help with cooking/meal planning, wish you would care more about what we ate" requests of him. :/
I got on board though, as I had always thought it was cool how you could make the soup.
So we have used it I think a grand total of 3 times now. We made tortilla soup, butternut squash soup, and when I tried to make the pumpkin ice-cream in the recipe book, the thing burned out. I smelled a chemical burning smell and the whole thing just shut off.
I guess it was the ice cubes? I followed the recipe but the ice was pretty much right up to the top.
I guess there is an auto shut off, and the directions say you have to wait up to 45 minutes to turn it back on. We did wait about 30 min and we were able to run it again. But I feel like for the price of the thing, and if I followed the directions exactly, it should not burn out at all!
I am thinking of at least exchanging it if not returning (we have like what we have made though.)

MamaKath
11-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I have not ha a burn out problem. I have found that there has to be enough liguid in a recipe or I need to use the dry canister for it to work. I would call Vitamix and talk to them. If you are not satisfied, return it to Costco. For what it is worth, we got our through Costco quite awhile back (at least 2, maybe 3 years ago) and have been very happy with it!!! GL

wellyes
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
If you were following recipes, you should have enough liquid. I'd return that unit pronto. Unlike many blenders, vitamix is designed to run for minutes at a time uninterrupted. If yours won't, it's a lemon.

ahisma
11-14-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd return / exchange it. I have one and have used the heck out of that thing with no problem. We regularly fill it that full with frozen strawberries and it works well.

hillview
11-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I'd return / exchange it. I have one and have used the heck out of that thing with no problem. We regularly fill it that full with frozen strawberries and it works well.

never had that problem. I would exchange it.
:yeahthat:

MelissaTC
11-15-2011, 09:20 AM
If you were following recipes, you should have enough liquid. I'd return that unit pronto. Unlike many blenders, vitamix is designed to run for minutes at a time uninterrupted. If yours won't, it's a lemon.

Agreed. Have a Blendtec, same difference. Bring it back.

Melaine
11-15-2011, 09:23 AM
I would definitely return it. That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm disappointed that you guys haven't really used it. I want one SO badly.

elektra
11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I would definitely return it. That doesn't sound right at all.

I'm disappointed that you guys haven't really used it. I want one SO badly.

We actually only got it last weekend! So we do want to use it alot and I got lots of frozen fruit and fresh veggies for it. So the burnout after owning it for maybe 10 days sounds like a red flag.

AnnieW625
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd return it to Costco pronto. They should take it back with no questions asked.