PDA

View Full Version : My first Craigslist buy!

nicoleandjackson
11-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm dipping my pinky toe into the world of Craigslist and I'm nervous!

There is a Bumbleride Flyer that I'm going to go see tomorrow. The owner purchased it in 2010 from a really nice, high-end baby store in town that closed recently. She's the original owner, and the pictures look great. And it's orange! Yay!

Is there anything that I should be wary of? I can't help but feel that this is too good to be true, but she seems so nice (famous last words, huh?)

Let me know your thoughts!

smiles33
11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I buy and sell on CL all the time and love it. It is very much buyer beware, though. There are no returns, obviously, so make sure you FULLY test out the stroller. Push it in circles, turn left and right, fold and unfold it, etc.

My one CL nightmare involved driving 3 hours round-trip with a 4 week old baby for a Stokke Tripp Trapp with cushions and baby set that the owner sold me for $75. I stopped twice to nurse, had a crying newborn, and ended up throwing the money at her and grabbing it all. I ultimately take responsibility for not inspecting the stuff AT ALL.

When I got home I discovered: 1) it was NOT a Stokke TT but an imitation chair from One Step Ahead (retail NEW was $99 and this was WELL-USED) and 2) the cushion, which was from Stokke's Kinderzeat, was faded, ripped and GROSS after I removed it from the pouch. Of course, the seller never replied to my calls or emails that she screwed me over, so I remain bitter but it hasn't stopped me from buying more GREAT deals from CL. Several items that I bought and used for 2-5 years I have re-sold on CL for the same price so it's like I rented them for free!

wendibird22
11-14-2011, 03:27 PM
It is buyer beware but there's lots of really nice CL sellers out there like me LOL! I sold my BJCS this weekend via CL and it was in EUC and the buyer was surprised that the rubber tires still had the little prickly nubs on them.

So, I agree with PP to thoroughly look it over and give it a test run. Trust your instincts. But, also pat yourself on the back if you discover it really is a fantastic deal.

Kaylee31
11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I buy and sell on CL all the time and love it. It is very much buyer beware, though. There are no returns, obviously, so make sure you FULLY test out the stroller. Push it in circles, turn left and right, fold and unfold it, etc.

:yeahthat:
Also check the Date of Manufacture to verify that it's actually a 2010 model. From what I've heard, the steering on the 2010s was greatly improved over the 2009 & previous models.

Check out this thread: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=405091&highlight=flyer+craigslist

mom3boys
11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I have found most of my strollers from CL and many of them have been great deals. Lots of time people are moving or just want to make space or have a double stroller coming or whatever, so they price it well/low. This seems especially true where I live because people are living with children in 1-2 bedroom apartments and have NO place to store a stroller they are not using.

If a seller usually just says "good condition" broadly, I often ask the manufacture year, any specific issues in terms of stained fabric, wheel problems, frame scratches (I usually expect a few scratches though, it's used after all). Often if you see an issue while you're there that the seller didn't reveal, (but you still want the stroller), you can point it out and they will reduce the cost right there because they want to make the sale and be done with it.

It is buyer beware though, like PP I had one bad experience, also my fault and related to traveling with my newborn, causing added stress. I purchased a used Piggyback board for my Vista, took 1 week old DS, took a fairly stressful/long drive, was in a hurry as I was trying to avoid having to stop and BF in midtown Manhattan (didn't make it); basically she just threw the thing into my car in a bag while I was double-parked. Only later (like, a week later when I wanted to use it) did I notice it was just the board but without the little clips to attach it to the stroller--so it was useless. I e-mailed the seller multiple times, thought I'd give her the benefit of the doubt maybe she just forgot the attachments, of course I heard nothing. I keep meaning to contact Uppababy to see if I can purchase those parts but sort of embarrassed to explain to them how I have the board but no way to attach it!

nicoleandjackson
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you so much, mamas! Keep the advice coming!

Several items that I bought and used for 2-5 years I have re-sold on CL for the same price so it's like I rented them for free!

This is kind of the mindset I have going into this. If it works out, great; if not, I can try and recoup some of my investment...

But, also pat yourself on the back if you discover it really is a fantastic deal.

That's what I'm hoping for!

:yeahthat:
Also check the Date of Manufacture to verify that it's actually a 2010 model. From what I've heard, the steering on the 2010s was greatly improved over the 2009 & previous models.

Check out this thread: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=405091&highlight=flyer+craigslist

I did find that thread when I did a general search of the Stroller board to find out about the Flyer. (And that's what ratcheted up my nervousness, LOL!) I asked her in my initial email what the manufacture date/year was, and she wasn't sure. So I'll flip that bad boy over tomorrow and check--since I'm armed with more info. about the problems with the 2009.

Lots of time people are moving or just want to make space or have a double stroller coming or whatever, so they price it well/low.

That's the case here. She said her youngest is three now and not a fan of strolling.

If a seller usually just says "good condition" broadly, I often ask the manufacture year, any specific issues in terms of stained fabric, wheel problems, frame scratches (I usually expect a few scratches though, it's used after all).

She stated that it's EUC, and as we've been corresponding, she let me know that it has been used a handful of times b/c her DD is not a fan of being cooped up in the stroller.

I keep meaning to contact Uppababy to see if I can purchase those parts but sort of embarrassed to explain to them how I have the board but no way to attach it!

See, I would totally tell their CS that it was a hand-me-down from my flaky sister, or that the parts were in a separate moving box that was lost en route. :tongue5:

nicoleandjackson
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Okay, so the stroller is home with me now. The seller was as nice as could be! It turns out that it's a 2008 model (manufactured on my birthday, LOL!) so I'm going to be very attentive as to how it maneuvers. If I hate it, I'll consign it. I put DD in it and pushed around the parking lot at the Starbucks, and it seems like it will take some practice to get used to it.

I wouldn't have considered it EUC, but that's just me. The fabric is in excellent condition (everything is being washed now, so I can't wait to put it back together!) and the handlebar foam is perfect. Lots of scuffs and scratches to the frame, though, so I suspect either they used it more than she let on, or it was a floor model from the store (she mentioned that it was the last one they had). Plus, it is missing the rain cover and the shoulder strap pads. But I totally think her price was fair, so I have a new-for-me Flyer for $75. Voila!

Thanks PPs for your help!