PDA

View Full Version : Well, there goes my driving record

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Yep, first time I've ever been pulled over and first ticket.

Had my phone on speaker and just as I pulled into a parking lot, I took it off speaker and picked it up. Police officer took it upon himself to give me a ticket for that.

What a way to start the day and the week. Ugh!!!

smiles33
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Oh no! How annoying.

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Oh no! How annoying.

No kidding. And I had just told my friend that I had to keep her on speaker because I was driving.

I told DH that I am having a BAD day and he said that he is having a great day because now he knows that his wife isn't perfect!!! That's funny because he can't even count how many tickets he has gotten!

maestramommy
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Wow, what a bummer. That's the first time I've heard of anyone being pulled over for that offense. :hug5:Hope your day gets better!

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Wow, what a bummer. That's the first time I've heard of anyone being pulled over for that offense. :hug5:Hope your day gets better!

I know. Technically I was still driving, into the parking lot, so technically I was breaking the law. But, he could have just giving me a warning. He pulled someone else over right after me so clearly he was in a ticket mood!

ett
11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Oh that's a bummer! Whether police officers give tickets or warnings totally depends on their mood that day. If they ticketed drivers here who were on the phone while driving, half the drivers would be ticketed!

wencit
11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( Can you go to traffic school and erase the points off your record? I know you can for speeding (DH, I'm looking at you), but I'm not sure about the cell phone law violation.

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( Can you go to traffic school and erase the points off your record? I know you can for speeding (DH, I'm looking at you), but I'm not sure about the cell phone law violation.

He said I won't get any points for a cell phone violation. I hope he's right about that.

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh that's a bummer! Whether police officers give tickets or warnings totally depends on their mood that day. If they ticketed drivers here who were on the phone while driving, half the drivers would be ticketed!

I know...I see people driving and talking ALL the time. Not hands free. Not on speaker. With the dang phone right up to their ears while they cruise down the road.

Oh well, lesson learned.

rin
11-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Check your local laws; I got a ticket for talking on the cell phone in DC several years ago, and was able to get it waived by sending in proof that I'd purchased a hands-free device. Your area might have something similar!

Melanie
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I had no idea you could get a ticket in a private lot!

ShanaMama
11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
He said I won't get any points for a cell phone violation. I hope he's right about that.

So you don't really have to think of your driving record as blown. Just in your mind, maybe. But all it is is a hunk of $, not going to affect your insurance rates or anything.
Getting a ticket is a real downer, I agree with that. I've only gotten a couple- one for talking on the phone & one for speeding. You feel like you were caught by the teacher- & in your case it's really aggravating since you were following the rules all along!

ShanaMama
11-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Check your local laws; I got a ticket for talking on the cell phone in DC several years ago, and was able to get it waived by sending in proof that I'd purchased a hands-free device. Your area might have something similar!

Wow! I have never heard of this. My cell phone ticket was close to $200- about 7 years ago!

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
So you don't really have to think of your driving record as blown. Just in your mind, maybe. But all it is is a hunk of $, not going to affect your insurance rates or anything.
Getting a ticket is a real downer, I agree with that. I've only gotten a couple- one for talking on the phone & one for speeding. You feel like you were caught by the teacher- & in your case it's really aggravating since you were following the rules all along!

Good point! And yes about the "getting caught by the teacher".

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow! I have never heard of this. My cell phone ticket was close to $200- about 7 years ago!

The officer said this one is going to be between $120 and 200 so we shall see.

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 10:14 PM

No such luck in San Diego that I can find. They are all about fines here!

rin
11-14-2011, 10:20 PM
No such luck in San Diego that I can find. They are all about fines here!

:( Bummer. DC loves its parking tickets (I've gotten $150 parking tickets there), so I guess there's some evening out somewhere.

crayonblue
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
:( Bummer. DC loves its parking tickets (I've gotten $150 parking tickets there), so I guess there's some evening out somewhere.

Indeed. Poor DH ran into a Starbucks in D.C. and when he came out 5 minutes later his car was towed! We lived in VA at the time and they towed it to MD! So, I had to go get him in D.C. and then we drove to MD to get his car and pay the towing company and then to VA! We moved shortly after and somehow our mail wasn't forwarded correctly so he never got the ticket associated with the towing. They sent another letter out with an additional $100 fine! I think we ended up paying $450 for that lovely cup of coffee!

Another time, DH got a speeding ticket. He went to traffic court and got a parking ticket at the court house while contesting his other ticket!

Jo..
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
That's stinky. :(

AnnieW625
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM

for the first offense he is correct. I believe it can for a second offense though.