PDA

View Full Version : vertigo?

zoestargrove
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I've have this mild rocking sensation (similar to how you might feel after you've been on a boat for an extended time.) It started on vacation and now, about a week later it's still lingering. I'm going to give my doctor a call yesterday, but wondered if anyone had any experience or suggestions about what it is and how to get rid of it?

thanks

elbenn
11-14-2011, 05:43 PM
It could be ear wax buildup.

Pilotbaby
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
My husband has had it. He was still congested from a cold so they suggested decongestants. Also, if it is causing nausea, they can give you meds to help with that and something else for the actual dizziness. We were told all of these things only treat the symptoms and the actual vertigo goes away on its own.

smiles33
11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I got vertigo a while back and it had something to do with bits of "crystal" floating in the ear canal. I can't recall what it's called, but my doctor made me sit on the exam table and she pushed me backward fast, flipped me on my side, rotated me again, and then made me sit up fast. It was supposed to "shake loose" whatever was in there and I felt IMMEDIATE relief.

ETA: I found a link to an NPR story on this here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103463398).

zoestargrove
11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I came across that npr story when I was doing my own research. That is so amazing you felt immediate relief. I'll try to replicate the sequence on my own, but I will give my dr. a call tomorrow.

I didn't have any other symptoms when it started, but I do have a sinusy head cold now...so, I was wondering if it was related.

Melbel
11-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I got vertigo a while back and it had something to do with bits of "crystal" floating in the ear canal. I can't recall what it's called, but my doctor made me sit on the exam table and she pushed me backward fast, flipped me on my side, rotated me again, and then made me sit up fast. It was supposed to "shake loose" whatever was in there and I felt IMMEDIATE relief.

ETA: I found a link to an NPR story on this here (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103463398).

I came across that npr story when I was doing my own research. That is so amazing you felt immediate relief. I'll try to replicate the sequence on my own, but I will give my dr. a call tomorrow.

I didn't have any other symptoms when it started, but I do have a sinusy head cold now...so, I was wondering if it was related.

There are different types and causes of vertigo. My MIL had the crystal type vertigo but it took weeks of PT to clear up. The doctors thought my son's vertigo was related to his migraines and/or an inner ear infection (there was inflammation shown on his MRI). Allergies/congestion can definitely contribute to vertigo too. If the problem persists, you may need to follow up with an ENT. I hope you feel better soon.

zoestargrove
11-14-2011, 10:49 PM
thanks Melbel. I think about your son often. I hope he is doing better.

Melbel
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
thanks Melbel. I think about your son often. I hope he is doing better.

Thank you for your thoughts. We are taking it one day at a time.

niccig
11-15-2011, 02:57 AM
See an audiologist. There are several causes of vertigo and you want to find out the reason why, and not just treat the symptoms. Something is affecting the link between you ears, eyes, legs (ankles, feet, legs send messages to brain about surface standing on) and brain to keep your balance.

BPPV (Benign Proxoxysmal Positioning Vertigo) is the crystal vertigo the others mentioned - it only lasts a few moments, then goes away, then happens again.. More info http://www.emedicinehealth.com/benign_positional_vertigo/article_em.htm

Other forms of vertigo can last longer.

One of my professor's has been dealing with vertigo for several months.

zoestargrove
11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
just wanted to update in case it helps anyone else.

I saw my dr. last week. She said it was viral. (Viral Labyrinthitis) I had also come down with pink eye, and some sinus congestion as the days progressed. I'm happy to say that it left me yesterday. What a relief! I have so much empathy for people who suffer from much worse vertigo than I had. It is just really hard to function normally.