PDA

View Full Version : New gym, no classes- need some ideas for workouts

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I dropped my old gym last spring and mostly have been running. Before I dropped the gym I was taking weight lifting classes, Zumba and had a few really good routines that I did on my own with running and weights. I'm trying to get back in the groove but I am spending too long thinking about what to do next. I did better today with circuit training. I would run a mile, do some weights, jumping jacks...all that good stuff. Back in the day I had some routines that were good about incorporating different muscle groups at one time (like squatting on the Bosu while doing bicep curls or doing leg lifts while doing chests presses). I have Jillian Michael's Hot Bod in a Box workout cards that I keep meaning to review. Until then, can you tell me what you do at the gym besides classes or a pool? Even if you just have a top 3 exercises that you like to do, I'd love to hear them! I really need to come up with some fun, efficient routines.

Beth

hillview
11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
You could try putting sets of 3 exercises together in stair case fashion. So:

1 - 10 Burpies
10-1 Push ups (even on your knee)
Jumping jacks 10-1

So first set would be
1 burpie
10 push ups
10 jumping jacks

Second set would be
2 burpies
9 push ups
9 jumping jacks

and you do 10 sets

Good luck!

mmommy
11-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I split up my weight training into body parts.
So on one day I'll do 3 leg exercises and 3 shoulder exercises.
On another day I'll do 3 chest and 3 back.
On a third I'll do 3 biceps and 3 triceps.
I try to pick 3 exercises in each category and do 3 sets of each with 9 - 12 reps.
This allows me to have a game plan so that I don't stand around not knowing what to do next but that is a bit flexible so I don't get bored doing the same thing every week.

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I split up my weight training into body parts.
So on one day I'll do 3 leg exercises and 3 shoulder exercises.
On another day I'll do 3 chest and 3 back.
On a third I'll do 3 biceps and 3 triceps.
I try to pick 3 exercises in each category and do 3 sets of each with 9 - 12 reps.
This allows me to have a game plan so that I don't stand around not knowing what to do next but that is a bit flexible so I don't get bored doing the same thing every week.

That's what I was thinking about doing too. Thanks!

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2011, 08:54 PM
You could try putting sets of 3 exercises together in stair case fashion. So:[...]

Ooh, I like this idea. Those are good exercises....and ones I am likely to pretend don't exist sometimes. ;)

Beth