PDA

View Full Version : OT for vision/low vestibular?

JustMe
11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Dd has vision/reading issues and vision therapy has been recommended. I really can't afford the vision therapy, and while thinking about what to do I found a local occupational therapy agency and read the bios. One said that she works a lot with visual perception issues. So I e-mailed, and she said she thought an eval would be appropriate. My insurance covers the eval, so in we went today.

The OT did the eval and said most things looked good (sensory-wise), but dd's vestibular responses/dd's vestibular system is were low and she can help with tracking. She said it is may not do all the vison therapy would, and I may still want/need to do that sometime in the future.

Has anyone btdt? My insurance will pay for 12 sessions if the approval is given, and I am just wondering if this will be worthwhile or not.

thanks!

almostamom
11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
My DS was in OT for vestibular issues. He had some other sensory issues as well. Our OT was helpful in determining that DS has vision issues and she was excellent, but she could not have provided the help that DS needed with his vision. However, your child's vision issue may be completely different. For my child, the results of vision therapy were nothing short of extraordinary. We saw major improvments in the first few weeks. We were able to get our insurance to cover a portion of VT. The eye doctor's office was very helpful with that. FWIW, we have BCBS.

Good luck,
Linda

MamaKath
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
We did OT for vision issues as well as other. I am not sure 12 weeks of OT would have done much overall. I did find a vision therapy program that went through medical (BCBS at that point) not vision insurance. Unfortunately the distance would not work with our other stuff at that point and we have since changed insurance now that our schedule would work.

lilycat88
11-15-2011, 12:27 AM
DD did 35'ish weeks of VT. I've posted about our success with it before. If you haven't, you might check to see if VT would be covered under occupational therapy. DDs was even though in our plan document, "Vision Therapy" was an excluded service. It's all about how it's billed.