PDA

View Full Version : Transient tic disorder...anyone have experience with this? (long-sorry)

happymom
11-14-2011, 10:06 PM
I posted this time last year about DD blinking repeatedly in a strange way, that almost seemed like a tic. I ended up going to the doctor, who said there was a film in DD's eye so he prescribed drops, which seemed to help. Over the last year, we saw some of the blinking here and there, but it never went on for long enough to really cause concern.

However, over the last few weeks, DD has started something new- she "fake yawns" repeatedly. Its not even really a full yawn, but its like she's trying to pretend to yawn. She does this all the time- when she's happy and distracted, when she's tired, when she's upset...so its hard to figure out exactly what's causing it. There's little consistency. There could be a day when she doesnt do it at all, and then the next day she'll do it constantly. We ignored it for about 2 weeks, and then DH told her (although it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do) that we only yawn when we're in bed, or on a pillow, etc. I know, that sounds like a crazy thing to tell a child (especially since its not even true), but he was really just trying to help and see if she would stop. Her response was to go lay down on the couch on a pillow so she could continue yawning. Strange. After that, she basically stopped yawning, but now she started the blinking again. I haven't commented on that at all.

When I posted last year, someone (I think DrSally) mentioned somethign about transient tics. I googled it, and it does sound like exactly whats going on with DD. Does anyone have experience with this? I wouldn't be surprised if DD has some anxiety issues, especially since its in the family (although not really an issue for DH or myself specifically). In some ways, she's so happy-go-lucky, but other times I see some signs of what seems like anxiety to me.

So being that DD is not even 3 yet, what does this all mean? How worried should I be? Should I make an appointment by the pediatrician just for this? Is there anything I could/should be doing to help her, or is the best thing just to ignore the tics and wait it out?

Sorry this is so long. Thanks so much for reading.

MamaKath
11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Sorry this is so long. Thanks so much for reading.
:hug:
I'll be watching closely. My ds is prone to anxiety and has developed tics that are quite noticeable recently. He was having some that were vocal, almost like stuttering, which go in spurts. Some days some, some days none. He also started a new one. He however is elementary school aged. I have read that in young ones they often resolve around age 3.

DrSally
11-14-2011, 10:26 PM
DS did have a period around 2.5 yo, I think where every year before "school" started (his MDO program then preschool the next year), he would develop something. The first time it was sudden onset stuttering that lasted 2 weeks and then faded out. The next year, it was the eyeblinking. I did ask his ped about it and he wasn't concerned. I basically "self diagnosed" as transient tic disorder. I know he's prone to internalizing/anxiety, so this is an expression of it. I have a friend who's very experienced in doing psychological workups on children (I work w/adults), and she agreed. She said it tends to manifest itself in different ways at different times. The pattern/age didn't fit the profile of Tourettes. Since it only seems to happen during times of stress and fades quickly, I haven't been too worried about it. If it's something that seems to be increasing and interferes w/social or personal functioning or even if you feel like you need more guidance, I would check into talking to someone about it.

Yawns at "inappropriate time or frequency" are recognized as a "tic". DS has done some head rolling (back and forth) since he was a baby to get to sleep. It's a self-stimulating behavior that is used to self soothe. It's not to uncommon, esp. in boys. I'm not sure how I would feel about it during the daytime though.

One thing that can help--developing a secret signal that you and your child understand/recognize to help them recognize they are engaging in a tic behavior. Catch their eye and touch your ear (or something like that). That way you can bring their behavior into their conscious awareness and they can stop it wo/embarrassment.

jren
11-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a friend whose DD has Tourettes, and the yawning was one of her early signs. Then she moved on to some throat clearing, neck flexes, and later full body movements. When it's brought to her attention, it actually gets worse. She's doing great and I honestly never even knew she had it, never really noticed the tics/movements until after her mom told me about them. It's pretty subtle, to me. Not what I thought Tourettes was like. She's in middle school and not on meds, and won't be unless she feels she needs them.

Some types of seizures can also be associated automatisms such as lip smacking or eye blinking. My DD used to do this. But she wasn't aware of it, so it doesn't sound like what your DD is doing.

Simon
11-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Ds1 had a transient tic. It went on for a few months or more around age 4.5-5yo. It was a combo eye blink-twitch/cheek twitch A bit hard to describe but rather obvious to people watching him.

We think it was due to stress in his life. I never actually talked about it with Ds because he seemed oblivious and I didn't want to make him self-conscious. Dh and I talked about it and we talked with his Dr. at a well-child check-up and she said to monitor it loosely but to really focus on ways to reduce his stress level since this was likely a physical reaction to his experiences. It eventually went away on its own.

Ds1 is prone to anxiety/nervousness but the tic has not returned even during some stressful times. I have had eye muscle spasms when under great stress but on a much smaller level than what we saw in Ds.

pinkmomagain
11-14-2011, 11:53 PM
My sister's sons have all had transient tics. Only one child has progressed into Tourettes. It's not severe but it is consistent now and is a true dx. He is on meds that control but do not stop the tics. All her sons have some elements of anxiety/OCD...although nothing severe.

My kids have varying degrees of anxiety/OCD - not severe. They all have issues I won't detail here that can be thought of as tic related. Aside from those, my oldest has had periods of burping that dr's see as a tic. She also has TMJ which can be viewed as tic-like in relation to the jaw-clenching aspect.

So as you can see tics/anxiety/OCD are all somehow related. I do believe that tics and TS is more prevalent in boys. I do know that my sister's ped always encouraged her to not make a big deal of it and ignore it. Her son who was eventually dx with TS did not meet criteria until he entered his teens.

You may want to simply mention it to your dc's ped and see what he suggests.

essnce629
11-15-2011, 12:11 AM
DS1 developed an eye blinking tic twice-- once when he was 3 and again a year ago when he was 7. When he was 3 it went away on it's own after a few weeks (I read tics are pretty common in kids). When it came back a year ago I read online that tics can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. So that night I started DS back on Natural Calm magnesium, which is a powdered magnesium citrate that you mix with warm water and drink like a tea. Within 48 hours the tic was gone! Stress can bring on tics and magnesium is also known as an anti-stress supplement. It's great to take before bed to help you sleep. Many people are magnesium deficient.

Natural Calm (it gets excellent reviews)
http://www.vitacost.com/Peter-Gillham-Natural-Calm

mytwosons
11-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Has she had strep recently? PANDAS has been getting more press lately - it's basically a strep-induced tic and/or ocd.

happymom
11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It sounds like I do not need to be especially concerned right now, but I will be keeping an eye on it. I'll definitely mention it to the pediatrician at the next appointment, and will also look into the magnesium- that sounds really interesting. (Thanks, Latia!)

As far as I know, she has not had strep recently (or ever before, actually) I remember that last year when DD started doing the strange eye blink, her pediatrician mentioned that strep could cause that. He did a blood test and there were no signs of strep at all.

I'm hoping this is just a "normal" tic that will eventually disappear...but I also have a knot in my stomach knowing that this could be a sign of real anxiety that will become more pronounced as she gets older. I was so hoping that she could avoid that gene. :(

Thanks again for all your input. And thanks MamaKath for the hug...I hope things work out well for your son too.

hillview
11-15-2011, 09:53 PM
DS1 had blinking tics usually around when school started at ages 3 and 5 (or maybe 4?). We ignored them for a few weeks and they went away.
/hillary

tiapam
11-15-2011, 10:58 PM
she might be yawning because she feels like she is not getting enough oxygen. that is a syptom of thyroid disease as are tics. i read somewhere when i was researching that any child presenting with tics should be evaluated for thyroid disease. that makes sense to me as I have experienced both the yawning and tics and have a diagnosed thyroid disorder. i believe i also had it as a child but it was not diagnosed back then.

your family history of anxiety could be undiagnosed thyroid disease. If you look closely at those family members, you might find some physical characteristics. this is a helpful checklist for hypo:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/selftest.htm

it says eye tics but i have had more than just eye tics. also, this is a long list, you don't have to have all or even most of the symptoms to be suffering from a thyroid disorder. there should be another list there for hyper on that site.

hth.