PDA

View Full Version : gift suggestions for 15 yo girl into languages?

maestramommy
11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Dh's niece is turning 15, is learning French and Chinese, and loving both. She had actually asked for a subscription to Scholastic Mag in French, but it's only $4 for 5 issues. Dh thinks maybe he should just get her a B&N giftcard and be done with it. I keep thinking there must be something cool out there for French or Chinese lovers that would appeal to a teen. We were thinking movies, but it's hard to think of French language films that would be appropriate for a 15 yo :p I saw only one movie in college that was very cute, but I wouldn't even know if you can find it now.

american_mama
11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
French music CDs?
Did the French first lady write a book? Might be interesting to read an autobiography of her in French, since I understand she's a pretty interesting woman.
The French film "The Horseman on the Roof"? It is a sweeping romance set in the French countryside during a time of plague. On the plus side, it's exciting, romantic, meaningful, slightly historical, and visually gorgeous. On the downside, it has a sexy vibe throughout - the whole plot is about the hero and heroine falling in love and yearning for each other while trying to resist due to heroine being married. (spiler alert) The final scene has very explicit nudity as heroine succumbs to plague and hero rips off her clothes to desperately rub her everywhere with alcohol, since it's the only thing that sometimes saves people. It's a very double-entendre scene: compassion, lust, fear, sex, love, desire, help, desperation all mixed together.

schrocat
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Does she like chinese pop music? Maybe a Jay Chou CD?

As for French, maybe a book like Le Petit Nicholas or Le Petit Prince.

Reader
11-15-2011, 05:18 PM
What French is she in? It would be fun to find popular English novels and buy them in French...easy stuff that she might have already read in English like Harry Potter or Twilight. You could look at amazon.ca or on ebay. Does she have an ipad? It might be fun to get some apps in French or Chinese. You could do a quick search on amazon.fr for the most popular French music and get a CD. Celine Dion has French CDs but I'm not a Celine Dion fan. I used to be a French teacher.

mom_hanna
11-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Eat Drink Man Woman is a great Chinese film that I think a 15 year old would really enjoy.

Aishe
11-15-2011, 08:18 PM
I think a 15yo girl would love the film Amelie. Eat Drink Man Woman is also a great recommendation.

maestramommy
11-15-2011, 11:00 PM
What French is she in? It would be fun to find popular English novels and buy them in French...easy stuff that she might have already read in English like Harry Potter or Twilight. You could look at amazon.ca or on ebay. Does she have an ipad? It might be fun to get some apps in French or Chinese. You could do a quick search on amazon.fr for the most popular French music and get a CD. Celine Dion has French CDs but I'm not a Celine Dion fan. I used to be a French teacher.

Dh said she thought she could read the 2nd level of the French Scholastic mag.

he decided to go with the french kids film. But I think Eat Drink Man Woman is awesome also! Amelie I thought was a great movie, but there is that sex scene in the beginning and I'm not sure how SIL would feel about that:p