PDA

View Full Version : More on E-Readers: Kindle vs. Nook

TwoBees
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Can anyone compare the Nook to the Kindle and Kindle Touch?

TwoBees
11-15-2011, 12:45 PM
:BUMP:
Anyone?

KrisM
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
It'll be hard because the Kindle Touch won't be out for another week.

sntm
11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
It'll be hard to compare them, as most people have one or the other. I love my Nook. It is the Nook with the touch pad at the bottom, about 2 years old. I like that I could try it out, can bring it in to a store to get help from a live person, can download additional stuff in stores, can use non-proprietary documents (though I haven't yet) and can share books with other Nook users. It is fast for page changes (though the Kindle has gotten faster, based on what I saw on a plane recently) and holds a charge for a long while. The touch pad is not always sensitive though and sometimes takes a few times trying to get it going. The web browser is laughable but would be fine in an emergency. Oh, and I love that it has a 3G free hookup, as I have once downloaded a book while a passenger in the car.

TwoBees
11-15-2011, 09:03 PM
It'll be hard because the Kindle Touch won't be out for another week.

oops! Totally didn't realize that. Thanks for the clarification!

mom2khj
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I have had both, but not really comparable items, KWIM? I had the Kindle 2 (older version) and I loved it.

I bought the Nook Color for me and DD1 so we could share because we got sucked into the "color" and "fun" aspect of it. Neither one of us does anything other than read on them. I do like getting my reader's digest on it, but that's about the only bonus I see over my old Kindle. The apps "store" and such is just so lacking (IMO) from Apple's that it's too much trouble. I had no desire to root it, because I read that could void the warranty. Plus I have an iPhone, and can do all those things with it.

I just ordered myself the Kindle Touch. I just like Amazon's interface for buying books and such so much better. I also decided I don't need the color for just one magazine. I'm still debating if DD1 will get a Kindle Fire or a Kindle Touch. She has an iPod touch (my old iPhone) for email/games, so I'm leaning towards the touch for her too.

KrisM
11-18-2011, 12:27 AM
oops! Totally didn't realize that. Thanks for the clarification!

And, it turns out that Amazon is shipping some early (not mine, apparently), and Best Buy has them now, too.

wildfire
11-18-2011, 12:40 AM
I have a nook touch and love it. One thing it has that I do not see on the Kindle touch are page advance buttons. I don't have to swipe if I don't want to. Later tonight I am planning to put it in a ziploc bag and take a bath, the buttons will come in handy. :)

I would go to Best Buy and try them all out and just pick the one you like the best.