PDA

View Full Version : Easy make ahead Thanksgiving day dessert?

crl
11-15-2011, 10:54 PM
We are hosting a Thanskgiving potluck. I told our neighbors we would provide the turkey and the dressing and then fill in as necessary. Well, we have three or maybe four pies and 23 people. Not enough dessert, right? So I think I should fill in with something. I don't want to do pie. And it needs to be easy and something I can do the day before. (We will be busy cleaning and rearranging furniture and setting borrowed tables, etc the day of, in addition to doing the turkey and the dressing.). Also preferably something that does not need refrigeration as our refrigerator will be stuffed with turkey breasts waiting to be smoked.

Suggestions? I was thinking maybe some kind of pumpkin sheet cake?

Thanks!
Catherine

Beth24
11-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Chocolate chip pumpkin bread or a cranberry bread? I have recipes for both.

KLD313
11-16-2011, 01:26 AM
My mom make a really great apple cake on Thanksgiving. I'm sure I can get the recipe if you're interested.

crl
11-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks! I'm not sure quick bread is dessert-y enough? We do that as breakfast food. And ds is allergic to apples. :(. I found some pumpkin cake recipes on all recipes. The sheet cake one calls for cream cheese icing though so I'm thinking of doing the bundt cake one in a tube pan? And then u can skip icing and serve with ice cream, right?

Catherine

Melaine
11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
My first thought was apple cake, but in light of allergies, I would do carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. It looks fall-ish, and I LOVE it. If you are really in a time crunch, the boxed carrot cake is pretty good if you make real frosting to go on top.

elbenn
11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
This is the easiest cobbler recipe and it is delicious. You can substitute any fruit--I have used raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, etc. You can use less sugar and it might not need to bake for 50 minutes--check it around 35 minutes.

Blueberry Cobbler:

1 stick butter
2 cups blueberries
1 c. self-rising flour
1 c. milk
1 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in baking dish. Mix flour and sugar thoroughly, then add milk. Pour into dish over melted butter. (Do not stir.) Pour blueberries over this. (Do not stir.) Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

nrp
11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Pumpkin gooey butter cake! Super easy and popular and can be made in a 9x13 pan. Serve with whipped cream.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-gooey-butter-cakes-recipe/index.html

KLD313
11-16-2011, 01:03 PM
My mom also makes a really good zucchini cake. Sounds gross but it's really good.

crl
11-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Catherine

arivecchi
11-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Chocolate chip pumpkin bread or a cranberry bread? I have recipes for both.I would love to get your pumpkin bread recipe! Sounds yummy!

Beth24
11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I would love to get your pumpkin bread recipe! Sounds yummy!

I will post it when I gt a chance to get to my computer...it is yummy and easy!

DietCokeLover
11-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Pecan Cobbler. It is a-mazing and unusual.

http://www.food.com/recipe/War-Eagle-Bean-Palace-Pecan-Cobbler-113490

rin
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd probably make up/buy some fun holiday-themed sugar cookies (pumpkin shapes, turkey shapes, etc, get some orange/red/brown sugar & sprinkle it on top) and a couple half-gallons of ice cream and call it good. :bag

speo
11-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Pumpkin gooey butter cake! Super easy and popular and can be made in a 9x13 pan. Serve with whipped cream.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-gooey-butter-cakes-recipe/index.html

:yeahthat:

turtle12
11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
My mom make a really great apple cake on Thanksgiving. I'm sure I can get the recipe if you're interested.

i actually would love this recipe if you could get it and post! thank you!

plusbellelavie
11-17-2011, 05:07 PM

:yeahthat: and I always am on the look out for an easy (yummy) zucchini cake recipe if you would share that as well!!

elbenn
11-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Dietcokelover, I love pecan pie. How does the cobbler compare to pie? Is it similar filling with different crust?

DietCokeLover
11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Dietcokelover, I love pecan pie. How does the cobbler compare to pie? Is it similar filling with different crust?

The filling is somewhat similar (not as firm as a pie), but the crust is much more cobbler like, so it gives it a whole different feel/ taste. It's extremely rich, so it's best to pile it high with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream to cut the richness! :ROTFLMAO:

Every time I have taken this anywhere, it is gone within minutes.

KLD313
11-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Sure, I'll get them both and post when I do.

daisymommy
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Here is something super easy, and yet people can never get enough of it.
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
http://myblessedlife.net/2010/09/pumpkin-crunch-cake.html

Beth24
11-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Here is the pumpkin bread recipe. It makes two loaves, but you can halve it if you only want to make one. I also add chocolate chips (2 cups tossed in flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the batter for 2 loaves, 1 cup for one loaf).

PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE

3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 small or 1 large cans pumpkin
3 ½ cups flour
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cloves
2/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour or spray two 9x5 loaf pans with cooking spray. Stir together sugar and oil in large bowl. Stir in eggs and pumpkin. Combine remaining dry ingredients in separate bowl and blend into wet mixture, alternating with water. Divide b/t two pans and bake 30-40 minutes. (Your may need to bake up to 50 minutes to make sure middle is cooked through). Let stand 10 minutes before removing from pan.

arivecchi
11-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks Beth! A shopping trip is in order to get those ingredients!

KLD313
11-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Here's the apple cake recipe.

GRANNY'S GREEN APPLE CAKE
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat on low speed of electric mixer for 3 minutes the following ingredients:
3 C flour
2 C sugar
1tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1C vegetable oil
1/2 C milk
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Fold in the following ingredients:
3 granny smith apples (cored, peeled and diced)
1 C walnuts, chopped
1/2 C raisins
Pour batter into greased & floured 9 or 10" tube or bundt pan.*
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake taster comes out clean.
Cool pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove promptly and cool completely before glazing.
Glaze:
1 C confectioner's sugar
2 TBS. milk or water (may need moreo)
Mix together and drizzle over cake.

turtle12
11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Here's the apple cake recipe.

GRANNY'S GREEN APPLE CAKE

thank you thank you! :) :)

KLD313
11-21-2011, 01:36 AM
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it.

I didn't forget about the zucchini cake that someone wanted. My mom is still trying to find it.

lmh2402
11-23-2011, 11:21 AM
just put 2nd round of these into the oven. DS and I mixed them up this morning - have tried one cookie so far (took a bite of DS') and it was yummy!

i'm using a small PC cookie scoop to make the cookies - did 2.5 dozen "plain" and then added some mini chocolate chips to remaining batter

chocolate makes everything better!

not sure if i'll glaze the ones with the chocolate

i also did add an extra bit of pumpkin pie spice when mixing up

www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32364/Old-Fashioned-Soft-Pumpkin-Cookies/detail.aspx

crl
11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
I just wanted to say thanks again. I ended up not needing to make anything because when I mentioned it to the neighbors who were coming, they upped the number of pies they were bringing. So I just provided ice cream and whipped cream to go with the pies. Whew.

Thank you all for the great ideas though! I may use one of them at Christmas.

Catherine