PDA

View Full Version : PDD-NOS... What should I know?

megulis
11-16-2011, 03:48 AM
My ds was diagnosed more than a year ago, and I think I am finally coming around to wanting to know more. What should I know? What would've been helpful for you to know in the beginning stages?

He has an IEP: OT, PT, Speech, and help for writing in class.

Outside of school: Social Group, Social Group at School after school, and swimming

He is somewhat being targeted in class, having hard time making friends, lacks concentration/focus, not able to stay on task.

I am wondering about fiction books that may help him understand social interaction. And re-enforced through DVDs or TV shows. I am finding Franklin to be a nice book/show for him to watch. I am not as sure about Thomas the Tank Engine, but we have lots of Thomas stuff here, and he reads the books and occasionally watches the DVD/shows. I've heard Mr. Roger's Neighborhood might be good to.

A little about him: he is 8 and was diagnosed at 6. He loves fans. I feel that his obsession about fans, and his waving his hand quickly to imitate fans should have been a big red flag, but his pediatrician didn't think much of it. I guess I am beating myself up a bit over this because the earlier the intervention the easier I hear it is. He wants to be helpful, but he also acts out when he feels left out or emotionally hurt. He is awkward socially. Academically, he is average or a little above average. I haven't told anyone outside our immediate family and school. He is fine at transitioning. Seeing him at the playground, you may not notice his awkwardness until you play with him. He cries often for a 8 yo.

I was hoping for some direction. I have started to read books, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited to add a little about me: I was raised in a household where my parents weren't involved. So, figuring out play dates and the social how to's of helping my 8 yo to have play dates are foreign to me. You would think a 3rd grader would have friends, but I don't know how to help him make them!

mytwosons
11-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't know if this series will be too young for your son or not:
http://www.amazon.com/Share-Take-Turns-Learning-Along/dp/1575421240/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321448962&sr=8-2 I used them with my son when he was probably 4-5. Our library carries them, but I thought they were so good I bought them all.

I would start with inviting one of the other members of his social skills group over for a short (no more than 2 hrs) play date. In the beginning, you'll probably need to have it very structured and offer plenty of support. You can fade those and extend the length of the play dates as his social and play skills improve. The leader of your social skills group should be able to give you some guidance.

pinkmomagain
11-16-2011, 04:48 PM
What about some type of club? Like boy scouts or a computer or science club? Or a class...like an art class? It's more of a social opportunity than sports yet nice and structured.

Lack of concentration can affect one socially....following conversation, following a game. You may want to try to figure out that piece...could it be anxiety-based or add?

Gena
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM
We like the Learning to Get Along series that PP linked to.

We are starting to use some of the materials from Social Thinking. http://www.socialthinking.com/books-products/superflex-curriculum?page=shop.browse&category_id=37

We are working on the You Are a Social Detective book now.

DS loves all things train related, including Thomas. We have some of the DVDs, but personally I'm not a fan of them. I don't agree with the philosophy that the most important thing in life is "to be useful". But DS doesn't really pay attention to the stories, he just wants to see the trains. So I limit the Thomas stuff instead of cutting it out entirely.