PDA

View Full Version : spiral sliced ham

7pages
11-16-2011, 10:22 AM
My MIL always buys a spiral sliced Honey Baked Ham. I was going to get one to have in addition to the turkey on Thanksgiving. They are really expensive!! I am willing to do it, but I remember hearing good things about the Costco spiral sliced hams as well as Aldi's.
Are they even close to as good as the Honey Baked Ham? Which brands at each of those stores should I look for or stay away from? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the Honey Baked Ham brand?

Thanks for your help!

Melaine
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I love the Aldi ham, I have bought at least a couple every year for the last 6 or 7 years. I just bought one this week for $1.69 a lb, so it was about $20 for half. They have definitely been cheaper in the past though. The hams this year looked a little more "fatty" than usual but I am hoping they will still be good. We are going to a friend's for Thanksgiving so I bake the ham, glaze it, then take it in a crock-pot with a little water in the bottom to stay moist. It works great, and is such an easy addition to the meal (she'll bake the Turkey).

mytwosons
11-16-2011, 10:57 AM
My parents are also huge honeybaked ham fans. None of us thought the Costco ham was as good. However, we all think the TJ's ham is even better than honeybaked. I think they are slightly cheaper, but they are still around $30, IIRC. If you go the honeybaked ham route, sign up on their website for coupons!

urquie
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
We like the Costco spiral ham. :)

DietCokeLover
11-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I am a big fan of the Aldi ham. We are having that for Thanksgiving this year.

hellokitty
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Which aldi ham is it? Is there only one type of spiral ham? Sorry, I am not really familiar with aldi, but I know that every time I shop for ham, I get really overwhelmed by all of the choices.

DietCokeLover
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
It's a spiral sliced ham and it comes with a small package of glaze mix.

hellokitty
11-16-2011, 06:56 PM
It's a spiral sliced ham and it comes with a small package of glaze mix.

Thanks!