PDA

View Full Version : Cookie recipes that don't require a mixer?

BigDog
11-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Really don't feel like lugging out the heavy mixer... Wondering if there are any cookie recipes that don't require using a mixer??

rin
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
You don't need a mixer for anything except recipes that called for beaten egg whites or whipped cream. I don't have a mixer and have never had a problem making any recipe, ever, that calls for a mixer except for those asking for whipped egg whites/cream. Just beat things vigorously with a wooden spoon or a whisk, depending on the consistency of the batter.

(Even whipped cream & egg whites can be done by hand, but it takes forever and is just kind of a pain, so I borrow my mom's if I want to do those.)

Smillow
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I never use a mixer when making cookies. I do make sure to whisk the eggs well before adding them.

trentsmom
11-16-2011, 02:01 PM
When I was small and just learning how to make cookies, I always mixed by hand. It's easy to do if the butter is soft enough.

Does it need to be cookies? I make butterscotch brownies, and it doesn't require a mixer.

BigDog
11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the advice! For some reason I just assumed that I would need a mixer to cream butter and sugar... probably because I have no upper body strength!!

Does it need to be cookies? I make butterscotch brownies, and it doesn't require a mixer.

I would love your recipe! I was looking for anything good (easy!) that I can make with DS on this rainy afternoon.

Thx!!

rin
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice! For some reason I just assumed that I would need a mixer to cream butter and sugar... probably because I have no upper body strength!!

Thx!!

Oh, definitely not. Just let the butter warm up to room temperature first, so take it out of the fridge now.

trentsmom
11-16-2011, 02:37 PM
I would love your recipe! I was looking for anything good (easy!) that I can make with DS on this rainy afternoon.

Thx!!

Butterscotch Brownies

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar (I only use 3/4 cup)
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Mix butter, sugar, and egg in a medium bowl. Add baking powder, salt, and flour. Stir in vanilla and pecans. Spoon into well-greased 8x8 inch pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Option: add 1/2 cup choc chips.

To make the recipe really easy, I mix everything in the same saucepan I melt the butter in.

Here's another easy-to-make recipe:

Microwave Fudge for One

1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other flavoring (I like almond)

Put the confectioner's sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk in a bowl and microwave until the butter melts. Add the vanilla, and mix well. Put in the fridge until it sets up. (You can leave it in the bowl, or pour it into a larger container so that the fudge can be cut.)

I cut this recipe down from a much larger recipe.

Happy Cooking!

larig
11-16-2011, 02:46 PM
smitten kitchen crispy-chewy chocolate chips (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/crispy-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies/) call for melted butter, so that makes mixing even easier.