PDA

View Full Version : What new toys/things would you introduce before the holidays?

Simon
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Ds2 is really bored with all his current toys. He will walk into the playroom, look around, and walk back out again. I don't blame him, I think he has just outgrown many of them. But, for my own sake, we aren't going to make it through to Christmas without an infusion of new stuff.

FWIW, He and I are home together 4 days/week and its too cold to do much outside, which used to take up a lot of our time together. We can go out to a few places (pass to children's museum, local indoor gardens, cafe w/toys) but he catches every germ we pass so I have been trying to stay home more (he has a cold w/cough right now).

I am open to giving Christmas gifts early (I had intended to give the water table or trains then) or buying something new. Ideas?

mommyapb
11-16-2011, 03:37 PM
MY DS is 2 yrs 9 months and within the past 2 week DH has given him two just for the heck of it gifts that he picked up at Menards & Walgreens. They are a cheap bowling set (6 pins & a ball) & a tackle training bag (inflatable & you put water in the bottom). I think it cost $10 for both items & DS has been entertained for hours with each of them. I actually made DH promise not to give him anything else because I don't know what to give DS for Christmas. Maybe one or both of those items might work for your DS. DS is also majorly into painting...perhaps new art supplies might do the trick.

HTH

Amelia

DD 3/06
DS 3/09
DC due 3/12

Smillow
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
My son can play with matchbox cars for a long time. He also likes playing with kitchen tools - sometimes I pick up dollar store kitchen stuff specifically for his play kitchen.

elephantmeg
11-16-2011, 09:36 PM
how about an active toy? mini trampoline or a bouncy thing like this
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Bounce-Sport-Fun-Hopper/dp/B00004SU7V/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321493722&sr=8-2

I voted for playdough. My kids LOVE playdough stuff

wellyes
11-16-2011, 09:43 PM
From my experience, what I would do would be to take out all the toys except for 2-3. Something he can do a lot with - a duplos set, magnatiles, a play kitchen. In a week, put those away and put 2-3 different ones out. He will be thrilled to get "new" toys. I think that age kids do best with be able to (forced to) focus more deeply on a smaller number of options.