PDA

View Full Version : apples in crockpot oatmeal?

hillview
11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Can I put a couple of apples in the vitimix and then put the puree into the crockpot for my overnight oatmeal? I feel like this would taste good? Anyone tried it?

rin
11-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I frequently make overnight crockpot oatmeal, and I once tried adding peaches to mine and it burned (I think the sugars just basically caramalized). I don't know if the same thing would happen with apples/other fruits, though.

abh5e8
11-16-2011, 08:56 PM
i put diced apples in our oatmeal almost every day, but its not crockpot ....just soaked steel cut oats, then cook in the am. for sure its YUM, but not sure on burning.

op...can you share how you make crockpot oatmeal? when i tried, it turned out a little burnt on the sides of the crock

hillview
11-16-2011, 09:10 PM
i put diced apples in our oatmeal almost every day, but its not crockpot ....just soaked steel cut oats, then cook in the am. for sure its YUM, but not sure on burning.

op...can you share how you make crockpot oatmeal? when i tried, it turned out a little burnt on the sides of the crock

I put 1 cup steel cut oats and 4 cups of water and a pinch of cinnamon and some flax seed and put it on low from about 10 pm til 6 am. It hads a slight oatmeal skin on the top which I remove, stir and serve. It is yummy!

I frequently make overnight crockpot oatmeal, and I once tried adding peaches to mine and it burned (I think the sugars just basically caramalized). I don't know if the same thing would happen with apples/other fruits, though.
Good point, never considered burning. I have put in raisins and other than being HUGE they did ok. I might try it on a night the kids are looking forward to oatmeal in the am.