PDA

View Full Version : Best way to lose 40lbs?

KLD313
11-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I cannot believe I have this much weight to lose. I've never weighed this much. My stomach is deformed from having my baby but she's 1 it should look normal by now. I'm super lazy so it makes it that much worse. I need to do something but I'm not sure what. I have a thyroid condition that's not fully under control I'm sure that's not helping but still.

Any ideas?

hillview
11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Sign up for myfitnesspal.com get some friends there (many here are over there as well) log your food and exercise. I lost 34 lbs doing this over the last many months. It totally works! Good luck. And good for you for doing it NOW. I waited til DS2 was 3!!

lmwbasye
11-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep. Myfitnesspal. I'm pretty new but am already seeing results. The encouragement and support from the ladies on this board have really helped so much.

jgenie
11-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Another myfitnesspal user. I waited until DS2 was almost 2 but it has been working for me.

plusbellelavie
11-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I too have a lot of weight to lose and joined MFP also and have slowly but surely seen result. I think a "huge" part of it clicking for me now vs another time is that there is a great support group there and it makes you feel accountable! And, it is so cool to see what others have done that day exercise wise and I tell you there are some ladies on there that just inspire you to do more because of the efforts they put in regularly!

My youngest will be 3 next month plus I have a 9 and 11 year old which keep me very busy but on top of all that I have a DH who travels about 85% of the time and so it is hard to find a lot of "me" time but little things add up and it seems to be a snowball effect obviously some days are better then others but you do see results if you put some effort into (IMO).

Come and join us and see for yourself! You can friend me there at MoiAussi I would love to support you in reaching your goals!

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Honestly, until you get your thyroid really under control you might not see a big # change. I did MFP for months and kept to my calories and exercise. I lost hardly anything compared to everyone else who was in my circle on there. It was really frustrating. I hate to use thyroid issues as an excuse but they really do mess with things sometimes. Whenever my meds are right, diet and exercise makes a difference. When they aren't right (and they seem to only be "just right" for like the blink of an eye) I'm just stuck. Thankfully the numbers don't creep up, that is probably a credit to MFP and exercise. So, keep at the thyroid meds and let your Dr. know if you aren't seeing progress with diet and exercise. My endocrinologist switched me to a dif't med for my hypothyroid because I said I felt "stuck."

One thing to focus on is just fitness. I have a friend that weighs more than ideal (higher than healthy BMI) but you can tell she is in shape. She looks fit even though she isn't skinny. I think that is always a good goal- being healthy and looking toned and fit.

GL!
Beth

KLD313
11-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Honestly, until you get your thyroid really under control you might not see a big # change. I did MFP for months and kept to my calories and exercise. I lost hardly anything compared to everyone else who was in my circle on there. It was really frustrating. I hate to use thyroid issues as an excuse but they really do mess with things sometimes. Whenever my meds are right, diet and exercise makes a difference. When they aren't right (and they seem to only be "just right" for like the blink of an eye) I'm just stuck. Thankfully the numbers don't creep up, that is probably a credit to MFP and exercise. So, keep at the thyroid meds and let your Dr. know if you aren't seeing progress with diet and exercise. My endocrinologist switched me to a dif't med for my hypothyroid because I said I felt "stuck."

One thing to focus on is just fitness. I have a friend that weighs more than ideal (higher than healthy BMI) but you can tell she is in shape. She looks fit even though she isn't skinny. I think that is always a good goal- being healthy
and looking toned and fit.

GL!
Beth

I know that's kind of what I'm afraid of. I have Graves Disease but the Dr. let me swing really hypO, my TSH was 20. It's also hard for me to exercise when I'm hypER because my heart pounds and I can't breathe. I'm due for bloodwork, actually overdue but I felt I was swinging hypER again and tried to use it to my advantage to drop a little weight and it's not working. Now I'm thinking I could be hypO again.

As for the MFP rec I did join a few weeks ago because of all the tickers I saw in here but I just signed up and never looked at it again. So typical. I'll take another look and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

echoesofspring
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
I consistently have good results with a South Beachy/low carby diet. I like doing it b/c I don't have to really thing about portions, etc., just watch the foods I'm eating. I used it to jumpstart my weightloss earlier in the summer and lost 15lbs which had just been sitting there. Then I got busy/distracted and stalled again, but we're getting back into it just this past week. My father lost probably close to 40 doing it a few years ago, and after my FIL did it, his bloodwork changed so much that he was able to get off some drugs he had been on.

KLD313
11-17-2011, 12:56 AM
Come and join us and see for yourself! You can friend me there at MoiAussi I would love to support you in reaching your goals!

I just friended you. If you anyone else would like to be friends I have the same username there.

Thanks!

KLD313
11-17-2011, 12:58 AM
I consistently have good results with a South Beachy/low carby diet. I like doing it b/c I don't have to really thing about portions, etc., just watch the foods I'm eating. I used it to jumpstart my weightloss earlier in the summer and lost 15lbs which had just been sitting there. Then I got busy/distracted and stalled again, but we're getting back into it just this past week. My father lost probably close to 40 doing it a few years ago, and after my FIL did it, his bloodwork changed so much that he was able to get off some drugs he had been on.

I did low carb once before. It was effective but so hard at first. I'm a huge potato lover, it's so hard to give them up. I may try it again, thanks.

niccig
11-17-2011, 02:50 AM
I hate to use thyroid issues as an excuse but they really do mess with things sometimes.

It's not an excuse. My endo. told me I could work out all day long and not lose weight if my meds. weren't right. Last time I went back I hoped I needed to have them increased, but alas, right where need to be, so I have to stop eating ice cream!