PDA

View Full Version : I Love Brussels Sprouts Society: UPDATES & NEW MEMBER DRIVE

amldaley
11-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Can't post to the original Brussels Sprout thread as it is too old

So...let's start a Society update here!

Here are my updates:

1) LOOK AT THIS!
http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Amos-Brussels-Sprouts-Ounce/dp/B0011Z9RQG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1321537564&sr=8-9

2) Did you see this months issue of Whole Living Magazine? Our beloved sprout made the cover!

So...

Any new member updates? New recipes? New finds? Any fabulous sprout pairings you have discovered?

Any new BBB'ers wish to apply for membership to the society? (It's easy...and Fairy and I have yet to turn anyone down...)

Melaine
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Ok, I have been dragging my feet, but where are the tips for making them wonderful? You need a Guide for New Members!

hellokitty
11-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Lol, I would like to apply for membership. I roasted my first brussel sprouts two wks ago and LOVE them! I hated brussel sprouts when I was a kid, but my mom would boil them. So, it took a lot of reading here to convince me to give them another try.

amldaley
11-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Lol, I would like to apply for membership. I roasted my first brussel sprouts two wks ago and LOVE them! I hated brussel sprouts when I was a kid, but my mom would boil them. So, it took a lot of reading here to convince me to give them another try.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it wonderful discovering our mothers didn't know how to cook everything?

All you need to do for membership is post a recipe, sprout use idea, or the like, here. You can even just describe to us what your roasting process was.

When Fairy comes around to the thread, she and I can Move to Approve and Second.

hellokitty
11-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it wonderful discovering our mothers didn't know how to cook everything?

All you need to do for membership is post a recipe, sprout use idea, or the like, here. You can even just describe to us what your roasting process was.

When Fairy comes around to the thread, she and I can Move to Approve and Second.

Hmm, I think I just roasted on convection setting for about 15 min at 350 degrees. I thought it would take longer, but they were ready! I just used olive oil, salt and pepper, they came out perfectly! My kids love them too!

mctlaw
11-17-2011, 10:20 AM
I love these roasted and I posted on some
of the original threads, so I guess that makes
me a member. I have not tried any of the recipes where they are shredded. Anyone care to share?

amldaley
11-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Ok, I have been dragging my feet, but where are the tips for making them wonderful? You need a Guide for New Members!

Glad you asked!

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=384762&highlight=brussels

amldaley
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
So far on the new members application list...

mctlaw
hellokitty

Melanie?

We'll keep the drive open for a while, but just so we're ready when Fairy pops in...

I move to grant membership in the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society to mctlaw and hellokitty.

Second?

boolady
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I think I've been a de facto member in my head without actually applying for membership (blushing). I love, love, love brussel sprouts. We have roasted brussel sprouts at least once every 10 days this time of year, and we're having a delicious shaved brussel sprout sautee on Thanksgiving for the second year running. I don't know what the requirements of actual membership are, but I'd love to be considered. :)

amldaley
11-17-2011, 11:00 AM

And, specifically for YOU....I am going to have to request that shaved Brussels recipe....

I saw a thread a few days ago about Wegmans selling shaved Brussels Sprouts...no Wegmans here and I have never heard of shaving them!

Do you DIY or buy them shaved?

How does one shave a sprout? Do I need a mandoline? (Or a Norelco?)

Melaine
11-17-2011, 11:02 AM
I think I've been a de facto member in my head without actually applying for membership (blushing). I love, love, love brussel sprouts. We have roasted brussel sprouts at least once every 10 days this time of year, and we're having a delicious shaved brussel sprout sautee on Thanksgiving for the second year running. I don't know what the requirements of actual membership are, but I'd love to be considered. :)

Your shaved Brussel sprout saute caught my eye on the other thread....that definitely sounds like a recipe that should be shared!

emily
11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Ever since the original brussel sprout threads, we've been eating them almost every week (when they are in stock at Costco). We just cut them in half and roast them in the oven with salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil. DH and I love 'em! Still can't get the kids to touch them tho.

I dont know that I have recipe to share :( Although, I think I did make a brussel sprout recipe with cranberries one Thanksgiving a few years back. Can I join??

Nyfeara
11-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I like them too! I know my MIL will eat them, but DH and DS are on the fence. I was planning on finding a recipe where they're cooked with bacon or something for Thanksgiving. Any suggestions? I thought the bacon might help tempt other taste buds in the non-believers....

elbenn
11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Here's my contribution: I was just looking for a recipe for brussel sprouts on epicurious and came across the brussels sprout hash with carmelized shallots (check out the reviews!). I haven't made it yet, but I think I might try it. I also posted a link for a basic recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Brussels-Sprout-Hash-with-Caramelized-Shallots-240411
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Brussels-Sprouts-for-People-Who-Think-They-Hate-Brussels-Sprouts-358275

amldaley
11-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Ever since the original brussel sprout threads, we've been eating them almost every week (when they are in stock at Costco). We just cut them in half and roast them in the oven with salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil. DH and I love 'em! Still can't get the kids to touch them tho.

I dont know that I have recipe to share :( Although, I think I did make a brussel sprout recipe with cranberries one Thanksgiving a few years back. Can I join??

Anyone with that kind of demonstrated dedication to the mighty, mighty Brussels Sprout is certainly eligible to join!

amldaley
11-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Here's my contribution: I was just looking for a recipe for brussel sprouts on epicurious and came across the brussels sprout hash with carmelized shallots (check out the reviews!). I haven't made it yet, but I think I might try it. I also posted a link for a basic recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Brussels-Sprout-Hash-with-Caramelized-Shallots-240411
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Brussels-Sprouts-for-People-Who-Think-They-Hate-Brussels-Sprouts-358275

Anytime "caramlized shallots" is in the name of something, I drool a little! EXCELLENT CONTRIBUTION!

amldaley
11-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I like them too! I know my MIL will eat them, but DH and DS are on the fence. I was planning on finding a recipe where they're cooked with bacon or something for Thanksgiving. Any suggestions? I thought the bacon might help tempt other taste buds in the non-believers....

See the link above the original Sprout Society thread - there is a highly recommended bacon recipe there!

citymama
11-17-2011, 06:16 PM
'Tis the season for brussels sprouts - yeah!!!! Another roaster here - olive oil, salt, high heat - YUM.

PunkyBoo
11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I have always loved Brussels sprouts! I can only get DH and my boys to eat 1-2, but that's fine with me... more for me!!! I like to roast them too, but I like to add sliced onions to the pan, with olive oil, s&p, a sprinkle of garlic powder. The sweetness of the onion really compliments the sprouts. Mmmm. I'm usually eating a whole serving while putting the 1-2 token sprouts on the boys' plates, then still piling up the rest on my plate... :love-retry:

Can I join?

missym
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Do you get points for growing your own? Ours did great in the garden this year, despite being shamefully neglected. We actually kind of forgot about them (everything else was done for by that point), but it worked out since they're such a late harvest. Yummy!

amldaley
11-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Do you get points for growing your own? Ours did great in the garden this year, despite being shamefully neglected. We actually kind of forgot about them (everything else was done for by that point), but it worked out since they're such a late harvest. Yummy!

You TOTALLY get points for that!

So, you didn't do anything special to them? Just plant and grow?

amldaley
11-17-2011, 07:48 PM
'Tis the season for brussels sprouts - yeah!!!! Another roaster here - olive oil, salt, high heat - YUM.

It IS the season, isn't it? My Costco FINALLY got them back in last weekend. I was ecstatic and walking around saying it was the happiest day of the year!

amldaley
11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I have always loved Brussels sprouts! I can only get DH and my boys to eat 1-2, but that's fine with me... more for me!!! I like to roast them too, but I like to add sliced onions to the pan, with olive oil, s&p, a sprinkle of garlic powder. The sweetness of the onion really compliments the sprouts. Mmmm. I'm usually eating a whole serving while putting the 1-2 token sprouts on the boys' plates, then still piling up the rest on my plate... :love-retry:

Can I join?

For making the suggestion to add garlic powder...YES - you can join!

mctlaw
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I am attempting to grow some as well.

MissyM: When did your plants develop the spike which the sprouts grow on? So far I just have a leafy plant.

elektra
11-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I bought a stalk last weekend and sauteed them in olive oil, garlic and brown sugar.

I also added a few raw ones to some butternut squash I made in the Vitamix. :)

amldaley
11-17-2011, 08:15 PM
I bought a stalk last weekend and sauteed them in olive oil, garlic and brown sugar.

I also added a few raw ones to some butternut squash I made in the Vitamix. :)

1) BROWN SUGAR?? I might have to try that tomorrow as my old stand by, balsamic vinegar, has been giving me headaches.

2) Raw? Aren't they bitter? I am intrigued!

elektra
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
1) BROWN SUGAR?? I might have to try that tomorrow as my old stand by, balsamic vinegar, has been giving me headaches.

2) Raw? Aren't they bitter? I am intrigued!

It didn't help the flavor. The guy did it at Costco when making a mango smoothie so I thought I would try it for the soup too. :)

hillview
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
So well we steam sprouts and add nothing and eat them. They trick is to get them very well cooked. Yummy!! Kids love them!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

nupe
11-17-2011, 08:38 PM
I want to join!
I adore brussel sprouts.

I usually follow this recipe, without the cheese.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

LexyLou
11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I adore brussels sprouts.

We just add some olive oil and kosher salt and either pan fry or bake depending on our mood. SOOO good.

amldaley
11-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I want to join!
I adore brussel sprouts.

I usually follow this recipe, without the cheese.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

That is almost exactly how we do ours, too. YUMMO!

LMPC
11-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Me, me, me!!! I wanna join, please please please! I do a lot of 'sprouts roasted in the fall/winter but my favorite recipe involves slicing (in food processor), sauteing them in olive oil, and then tossing in some chopped pecans and lemon juice. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

Do we get extra points if we have converted our kids into mini sprout lovers?!

wallawala
11-18-2011, 01:57 AM
I want in!!! Not sure I can top the roasting recipes given in the orginial thread... those extra cripsy leaves the fall to the side are divine. Love them, but have yet to convert DH. Which as PP noted is ok, more for me!

How about qualifying by posting a suggestion for the official earings of the BBB BS Society....

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62011400/cabbage-earrings

I know they say "cabbage" but so petite and just like a brussel sprout!

amldaley
11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I want in!!! Not sure I can top the roasting recipes given in the orginial thread... those extra cripsy leaves the fall to the side are divine. Love them, but have yet to convert DH. Which as PP noted is ok, more for me!

How about qualifying by posting a suggestion for the official earings of the BBB BS Society....

LOVE THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep - that qualifies!

amldaley
11-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Me, me, me!!! I wanna join, please please please! I do a lot of 'sprouts roasted in the fall/winter but my favorite recipe involves slicing (in food processor), sauteing them in olive oil, and then tossing in some chopped pecans and lemon juice. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

So does the slicing in the food processor do the same thing as shaving? I am so fascinated as I have never done anything but stem, wash, chop in half.

Yes - bonus points for kiddie conversions!

emily
11-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Anyone with that kind of demonstrated dedication to the mighty, mighty Brussels Sprout is certainly eligible to join!
:yay: Was so happy to see them back in stock at Costco a few weeks back.

Never thought to do this! Will have to try it next year.

hellokitty
11-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Those are adorable! Too bad, I can't wear earrings.

So, are any of you serving brussel sprouts for Thanksgiving? I thought about it, but am not sure how well extended family will like them. My DH complained about the smell when I roasted them last. Of course, this comes from a person who grew up eating kimchi, so I don't know how he can complain about it when kimchi smells waaaay worse, lol.

boolady
11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
I will get out my recipe from last Thanksgiving and post. It was from a Wegman's recipe...one day I was shopping and the chef at mine was making his variation on the recipe that was in one of their Menu magazines last year...he had tweaked it a bit and I liked the tweaking.

I don't want to answer for anyone else about the slicing, but I have shaved mine before just using my good, sharp chef's knife because they seemed really small to me to do on my mandoline, which I've not used often enough to be super comfortable with. I've noticed the shaved ones at my Wegman's this year, too. I didn't see them there last year, so they must have found that it was worth it to them to sell them that way as well. Of course, it's cheaper to cut your own but a bit more time-consuming.

FTMLuc
11-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd love to join the BBB BS Society. I love brussel sprouts. I just fry them in the pan with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Will try the roasting recipe over the weekend.

twowhat?
11-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Me too!!!

We usually do a simple roast (EVOO, salt, pepper, halved sprouts, 400 degrees until outer leaves are crisp). DD2 LOVES the crispy leaves. It's kind of like kale chips.

I've made this recipe a couple times and it is...decadent. I made it last year for Thanksgiving, and everyone turned up their noses at a brussels sprouts side dish but by the end of dinner - the bowl was GONE. Everyone took seconds! It's a LOVELY recipe for special occasions:) Definitely making it again this year.

Roasted brussesls sprouts with wild mushrooms and cream:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/roasted-brussels-sprouts-wild-mushroom-cream.aspx

I use a half/half mix of baby bellas and oyster shrooms, since they're easier to find at a regular grocery store.

elbenn
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Twowhat, that recipe looks wonderful. Now I'm trying to decide between that recipe or the one with carmelized shallots. Maybe I will try them both out.

marie
11-18-2011, 05:21 PM

One of my fave recipes is from Everyday Food - BS roasted with bacon and apples. I was considering serving it for Thanksgiving but there are a couple vegetarians who would probably rather I didn't!

http://www.marthastewart.com/318937/brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-and-apple

sadie427
11-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Didn't read all the replies so hopefully this is not a duplicate. We added some pan-fried ham pieces and served it as a main dish this week for dinner.

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2011/11/16/roasted-brussels-sprouts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foodiewithfamily%2FsiMW+%28Fo odie+With+Family%29

Trigglet
11-22-2011, 02:54 AM
Okay, seeing as I'm a Brit abroad and the sprout is a venerable and perennial part of our roast dinners (especially Christmas dinner!) I think I should submit my application to join the Society...and so here is my recipe (well, not mine, but the lovely Nigella Lawson's - my role model in all things culinary)...

Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Pancetta (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/brussels-sprouts-with-chestnuts-pancetta-and-parsley-recipe/index.html)

Enjoy :)

Fairy
11-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Aaack!!! I've been off board for days as I did my play, and I'm now, frankly, barely hanging on I'm so tired, but this thread made me happy! Finally getting to it, sorry! I'm still reading, on page 2, so if it's not already been done, then I second, or third, or seventh if the case may be all prospective members and hereby recommend they be inducted as new members and hope that there is agreement and induction forthwith.

Feel free to come out and own it by altering your footer :waving4:

Now back to search this thread for new recipes!

WELCOME SPROUT LOVERS!!!

Fairy
11-22-2011, 03:41 AM

If you grow your own then I think you get the I'm-Not-Worthy level of membership, no?

Fairy
11-22-2011, 03:43 AM

This also qualifies for special membership called the "Did-You-Hide-Them-In-a-Bowl-of-Doritos?" level.

amldaley
11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Three cheers for ALL the new members!

If you said you wanted in, posted ANYTHING demonstrating your committment to our Beloved Brussels Sprout, then....

WELCOME TO THE BBB " I LOVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS SOCIETY"!

You are all members now, bestowed with all the gloriousness that membership entails!

And, as Fairy mentioned...feel free to announce your membership in your footer or signature area. Show your society pride!!!!!

Twoboos
11-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Hello, please accept my membership application!

(Even though DDs say the house smells like garbage when I make Brussels sprouts, I don't care!! :rotflmao:)

missym
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
I am attempting to grow some as well.

MissyM: When did your plants develop the spike which the sprouts grow on? So far I just have a leafy plant.

Sorry! Just saw this. They take a *really* long time to grow. We transplanted ours in June I think and harvested them in October (in Indiana). I think you're supposed to have them in the ground 90 to 100 days before the first frost date, and then wait to harvest until after a good frost. I don't remember when they developed the stalk, but I do remember looking at them for a while and wondering when it would happen. ;)

icunurse
11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Ok, so I have my own growing in my garden as we speak (waiting for Thanksgiving to harvest) and have been able to get at least one of my children turned on to the sprouts. Does that mean I get to join? :)

As for recipes, I know that it is frowned upon, but the old-fashioned boiling that my grandma did just makes me happy, especially for the smell and memories. Of course, she also mixed in a vat of butter and sprinklings of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. So simple, yet sooo goos.

Anyone else noticing the price increase this year? The last few years, I was able to find them for 99cents/lb. Best now is $2/lb. Have they become all the rage now??

Fairy
11-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Ok, so I have my own growing in my garden as we speak (waiting for Thanksgiving to harvest) and have been able to get at least one of my children turned on to the sprouts. Does that mean I get to join? :)

As for recipes, I know that it is frowned upon, but the old-fashioned boiling that my grandma did just makes me happy, especially for the smell and memories. Of course, she also mixed in a vat of butter and sprinklings of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. So simple, yet sooo goos.

Anyone else noticing the price increase this year? The last few years, I was able to find them for 99cents/lb. Best now is $2/lb. Have they become all the rage now??

What did she do with the breadcrumbs, toast them first, or just sprinkle them on?

I just had half a stalk go bad from TJs cuz I couldn't use them fast enough :-(

karstmama
11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm in, and so's my mama. We tried the roasted recipe & *loved* them. We still love the steamables bags, too, though. Hopefully I'll add some of the other suggestions to our repitoire. Yay sprouts!

amldaley
11-22-2011, 09:11 PM

My favorite produce guy said it is b/c of the crazy weather this year. It was bad for several fall harvests like pumpkins and brussels sprouts. Heat wave went too long, etc.

bekahjean
11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
I've been loving all the Brussels sprouts recipes for thanksgiving. I'm sold on the wegman's shaved Brussels sprouts with shallots. I broke out the food processor to shave 3 pounds today after clearing out the shelf at TJ's yesterday. I added chopped chicken to them on Sunday, pancetta today, and will make them with turkey on Friday.

I'll let my sprouts flag fly!

icunurse
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
What did she do with the breadcrumbs, toast them first, or just sprinkle them on?

She used the regular store brand ones and just sprinkled them on, just a little bit for some texture. I have tossed around using panko, but I just know my traditionalist family members would not be happy.

zoestargrove
11-29-2011, 09:47 PM
mmmmm! This is delicious and thanks to this recipe, I've been able to convince 2 more members of my family that brussel sprouts are delicious.

boolady
11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
My sister just sent me a link to this brand spanking new brussel sprouts recipe by one of her (and my) favorite bloggers, Deb at smitten kitchen. I'm sitting here at my desk drooling with anticipation because these sound delicious.

Dijon Braised Brussel Sprouts:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/11/dijon-braised-brussels-sprouts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+smittenkitchen+%28smitten+kit chen%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

overcome
11-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Can't post to the original Brussels Sprout thread as it is too old

So...let's start a Society update here!

Here are my updates:

1) LOOK AT THIS!
http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Amos-Brussels-Sprouts-Ounce/dp/B0011Z9RQG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1321537564&sr=8-9

2) Did you see this months issue of Whole Living Magazine? Our beloved sprout made the cover!

So...

Any new member updates? New recipes? New finds? Any fabulous sprout pairings you have discovered?

Any new BBB'ers wish to apply for membership to the society? (It's easy...and Fairy and I have yet to turn anyone down...)

I'm ready to join. I love brussel sprouts. When I saw them on the stalk at Trader Joe's I almost cried.

My favorite way to prepare them is to cut them in quarters and roast them in the oven with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Would like to try some alternatives though....esp shaved brussel sprouts. Maybe this week.

It is a great source of joy to me that Brussel Sprouts are DD fav veggie. :-)

So.....am I in?

amldaley
11-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm ready to join. I love brussel sprouts. When I saw them on the stalk at Trader Joe's I almost cried.

My favorite way to prepare them is to cut them in quarters and roast them in the oven with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Would like to try some alternatives though....esp shaved brussel sprouts. Maybe this week.

It is a great source of joy to me that Brussel Sprouts are DD fav veggie. :-)

So.....am I in?

Quartered instead of halved is new to me! You have my vote and I think Fairy gave a blanket blessing up above! You're in!!!!!!

amldaley
11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
My sister just sent me a link to this brand spanking new brussel sprouts recipe by one of her (and my) favorite bloggers, Deb at smitten kitchen. I'm sitting here at my desk drooling with anticipation because these sound delicious.

Dijon Braised Brussel Sprouts:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/11/dijon-braised-brussels-sprouts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+smittenkitchen+%28smitten+kit chen%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

I am salivating...I have to make these. Right now. I am off work in mere moments and this is what I am going to make for dinner tonight!!!!!!!!!

overcome
11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Quartered instead of halved is new to me! You have my vote and I think Fairy gave a blanket blessing up above! You're in!!!!!!

Yippee! I am honored :-)

I quarter them bc we love the parts that get crispy during roasting. When they are quartered, there is more area to get crispy!!! Yummy.

hillview
11-30-2011, 08:35 PM
So today I told my kids about this secret society called "the Brussel Sprout Secret Society"

Over dinner (which of couse included brussel sprouts) once they took the solemn brussel sprout secret society oath, I went on to tell them that we were the last 4 members (including DH). They limit the membership to 1,000 people and you can only get in if someone else quits. There is a brussel sprout party in the second week of January which of course includes Brussel Sprouts. Anyway we had a ball with the BSSS. They maintained membership by finishing ALL the brussel sprouts on their plates and are looking forward to the next meal that includes brussel sprouts and of course the BSSS party in January.

/hillary

MommytoEliana
11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Okay, seeing as I'm a Brit abroad and the sprout is a venerable and perennial part of our roast dinners (especially Christmas dinner!) I think I should submit my application to join the Society...and so here is my recipe (well, not mine, but the lovely Nigella Lawson's - my role model in all things culinary)...

Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Pancetta (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/brussels-sprouts-with-chestnuts-pancetta-and-parsley-recipe/index.html)

Enjoy :)

Oh, this was going to be my submission! Do duplicate entries count? :-) We made this for Thanksgiving this year and for Christmas a couple of years ago; it was devoured both times. Yum!

overcome
11-30-2011, 10:12 PM
So today I told my kids about this secret society called "the Brussel Sprout Secret Society"

Over dinner (which of couse included brussel sprouts) once they took the solemn brussel sprout secret society oath, I went on to tell them that we were the last 4 members (including DH). They limit the membership to 1,000 people and you can only get in if someone else quits. There is a brussel sprout party in the second week of January which of course includes Brussel Sprouts. Anyway we had a ball with the BSSS. They maintained membership by finishing ALL the brussel sprouts on their plates and are looking forward to the next meal that includes brussel sprouts and of course the BSSS party in January.

/hillary

This is HYSTERICAL! And cute and funny. Can't wait to hear about the party in the second week of January!! Whoo Hoo!

amldaley
11-30-2011, 10:21 PM

/hillary

:love5: I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amldaley
11-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Oh, this was going to be my submission! Do duplicate entries count? :-) We made this for Thanksgiving this year and for Christmas a couple of years ago; it was devoured both times. Yum!

Duplicate entries count if you can provide a tip or variation or, alternatively, if you profess your undying love of the mighty sprout. (We'll try to let just about anything count!)

MommytoEliana
11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Duplicate entries count if you can provide a tip or variation or, alternatively, if you profess your undying love of the mighty sprout. (We'll try to let just about anything count!)

Tip: we couldn't find any whole pancetta, but using sliced from the supermarket (and then chopping it) worked just fine. Oh, and my husband bought sweet marsala instead of dry, but it tasted delicious. I would guess that sherry, vermouth, or a white wine would all work well, giving the dish slightly different flavor profiles.

I wanted to use the leftovers to make the soup that Nigella describes in the sidebar...but we couldn't stop eating them!

There, how about that? ;-)

icunurse
12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Not sure if I made "member" or not, but saw this and thought of everyone here (hope it isn't a repeat)....

http://www.thenateshow.com/howto/detail/cat-coras-brussels-sprouts

BabyDahl
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
We received our produce delivery yesterday and we got the beloved brussel sprout. Now, I'll be honest, I don't know the last time I had one :bag

BUT, since they're in my kitchen, I'll have to make them tonight. I'm thinking the saute version sounds yummy, how can you go wrong with olive oil, salt and fresh grated parmesan cheese?!?!

If I figure out a variation that turns out good, I'll apply for membership ;)

clc053103
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Our favorite is roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper, whole garlic cloves and pancetta.

amldaley
12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Experimenting due to low carb diet....

I cut back on the oil...threw some chopped apples in the pan for the last couple of minutes and then a handful of shredded swiss.....holy sprout goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!

anamika
12-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Can I join? I love them roasted with oil etc and then with a drizzle of balsamic on top.
I love it so much that I am really reluctant to try new recipes with them b'cos it means there will be less to roast ;)
Recently I got adventurous though and tried a salad with them - I think I got the recipe here (or Pinterest?).

http://www.food52.com/recipes/7650_shaved_brussels_sprout_salad_with_red_onion_l emon_and_pecorino

So so good. DH's eyes popped out when he took the first bite.

AM - to what did you add the apples and cheese? I want to try it too!

amldaley
12-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Can I join? I love them roasted with oil etc and then with a drizzle of balsamic on top.
I love it so much that I am really reluctant to try new recipes with them b'cos it means there will be less to roast ;)
Recently I got adventurous though and tried a salad with them - I think I got the recipe here (or Pinterest?).

http://www.food52.com/recipes/7650_shaved_brussels_sprout_salad_with_red_onion_l emon_and_pecorino

So so good. DH's eyes popped out when he took the first bite.

AM - to what did you add the apples and cheese? I want to try it too!

Sorry - I just assume everyone knows I am a pan sauteed girl vs roasted ;)

Here is a link to the orginal Brussels Sprouts thread with my recipe (similar to yours, it sounds!)

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=384762

I omitted the vinegar today as I could not afford the carbs and I am headachey (and as much as I adore Balsamic, it is a migraine trigger for me).

Looks like another recipe for shaved brussels...I have to figure out this shaving thing, it seems to be all the rage this season!

DebbieJ
12-11-2011, 03:04 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this recipe has already been mentioned....

For Thanksgiving, I made Michael Symon's fried brussel sprout recipe from The Chew. I went home with an empty bowl.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Thanksgiving-Michael-Symon-Fried-Brussels-Sprouts-Walnuts-Capers