PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing Bridge to 10K with me?

hellokitty
11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
So, remember on the C25K thread, several of us wanted to know what was next? I've been a slacker. I did my last 5K at the beginning of October, but now that the weather is so cold, there won't be many 5Ks in our area (and honestly, I don't want to run them when it's this cold, wind is a huge issue). So, I need something to motivate me to stay fit and continue losing wt (I am still about 25# from my goal wt). I downloaded the Bridge to 10K app yesterday to my ipod touch (can I just say that I HATE itunes, why is it so frickin' sluggish?), and it's a great app, well worth the $1.99. Since the weather is all downhill from here on out, I will be doing this on my treadmill this time. I did better than I thought I would, although I am more sore today than I thought I'd be.

For those who trained for C25K on their treadmill, what speed and % grade did you use on your treadmill? Since it was my first day, I just did 6mph and 0% grade yesterday, but I'm not really sure what settings I should be doing to realistically do a 10K outdoors. I trained for C25K 100% outdoors, b/c I wanted a realistic idea of what it would be like to do a 5K outdoors.

So, who is with me on the 10K challenge? It is a 6 wk program. I may do it a bit slower, since I still have stroller class 2x a wk and try to do zumba as well and basically need something to get me through to March, before I can run outdoors again. My 5K time still isn't below 30 min, which was a goal of mine, but at this point, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not a fast runner, but I'm hoping that being able to run a longer distance will end up improving my endurance to run a 5K faster by default.

artvandalay
11-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Hmmm.. I've been thinking of doing it. I can't get past 4 miles... that seems to be where I hit a wall.

I did more than half of it on my treadmill because I didn't have a jogging stroller at the time (and can't run outside if all 3 kids are home).

I'd have to look back at that C25K thread to remember what exactly I had the settings during the training.

I always do 1% incline as I read that mimicks outdoor running. Right now I have it set around 4.7 or 4.8 mph. If I go faster than that I peter out quickly. I originally had it set for 5mph when I did c25k.. and it seemed ok at first since you are only running for a few minutes at a time and then walking.... but I can't maintain 5mph for any decent distance.

I might download that app... but I really need to get my itunes library on my iphone first!

hellokitty
11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Art, I knew you would post on this thread, lol. :p You know, I was surprised that I did 4 miles yesterday. I've never run that far before and usually feel tired after 3 miles. I bet you will be surprised by how much further you can go than you realize. Thanks for the % grade info. I will set it around 1% and go from there. I also need a new pr of shoes. Mine are starting to feel less supportive. I'm going to wear them to our WDW trip next month and then just keep them around as shoes for grundgy days.

artvandalay
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Art, I knew you would post on this thread, lol. :p You know, I was surprised that I did 4 miles yesterday. I've never run that far before and usually feel tired after 3 miles. I bet you will be surprised by how much further you can go than you realize. Thanks for the % grade info. I will set it around 1% and go from there. I also need a new pr of shoes. Mine are starting to feel less supportive. I'm going to wear them to our WDW trip next month and then just keep them around as shoes for grundgy days.

LOL, I wonder if we can get the old C25k posse on here?

Yeah, good shoes make all the difference! Oh, and I love those Kohl shorts that everyone was raving about. I bought two pair and wear them all the time!

hellokitty
11-18-2011, 10:39 AM
LOL, I wonder if we can get the old C25k posse on here?

Yeah, good shoes make all the difference! Oh, and I love those Kohl shorts that everyone was raving about. I bought two pair and wear them all the time!

I'm hoping to attract the C25K grads too. :) Oh and yeah, I need to get more prs of those fila running shorts. I've just basically come to realize that I have to wear tighter fitting bottoms to run comfortably. I had also gotten a shorter pr than the ones I had recommended to you, and had to return them, since they would ride up. Not comfy or attractive, lol.

minnie-zb
11-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm in awe! You rock! :jammin:

I can't do the 10K, but can I just try and get back in the 5K spirit and show support for you?

hellokitty
11-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm in awe! You rock! :jammin:

I can't do the 10K, but can I just try and get back in the 5K spirit and show support for you?

Most definitely! Both programs are similar and I think it always helps to have those who have been through it to help encourage and guide you.

artvandalay
12-04-2011, 10:15 AM
HK have you been running? I have not been running much at all. I ran only 32 minutes on Monday and then my baby woke up from her nap. I am having a really hard time lately finding time to run.

I used to run during her nap, but lately her naps get all screwed up. When I drop off DS2 at preschool, I need to run a bunch of errands, get grocieries... etc. She always falls asleep in the car on the way home, but she used to let me put her in her crib and she'd continue to sleep. Not any more. She wakes up the second we pull into the garage. So now I need to decide - either I stay home and do nothing so she naps in her crib so I can run, or get all the crap done that I need to get done... and getting stuff done always wins.

I was running with her at the park once a week after dropping DS2 off, but there is something wrong with my stroller now, and it's getting kind of cold and windy (in in the Midwest).

I suppose I could get up early and exercise, but I'd have to get up at like 5 in order to run and shower in time to get the kids ready for school, and I'm not that disciplined!

I hope things calm down after the holidays. I"m super stressed out right now and really want to run... I think it helps my stress.

Is B210K interval training? Is it hard to go back to interval training after running x amount of minutes? OH.. and I agree about Itunes being sluggish. I've never liked itunes. I have an iphone now so I'm stuck with dealing with itunes all the time now...altho I have no problems with it on my iphone. It's using it on my computer that I don't like.

hellokitty
12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Art, yeah, I hate itunes on my PC. DH and I are convinced that it's apple's ploy to force ppl to buy macs, b/c it is torture using itunes on a PC. Yeah, I've been running, about 2x a wk. I'm still doing stroller class 2x a wk and trying to do zumba 1x a wk. B210K is interval training, but I am pushing myself more to be independent. For example, yesterday, when it was time to walk, I didn't feel like it, so I ended up running 40 min straight and did just fine. I see it more as a guideline for ppl who need it. I also did not stick to C25K religiously. I did it up to wk 5 or 6 and then fast-tracked myself, in order to finish the program in time for my first 5K back in May.

I've decided I'm just going to run on my treadmill. The weather here is also pretty yucky and I could probably run outside on days that aren't rainy or snowy, except that ppl are driving like idiots in my area right now, so I don't feel safe on running outside. I agree that it is good stress relief. I surprise myself, since I also feel the need to run now, and I never, ever thought I'd ever feel this way.

Anyway, I hope you get a chance to run. I sympathize with you on the toddler sleep issue. DS3, NEVER adjusted to the time change. He wakes up btw 5-5:30am each morning and naps only happen 50% of the time, and even if he does nap, they are usually crappy naps lasting less than an hr. I hope you can find some time for yourself. I will workout after the kids go to bed if there is no other choice.

artvandalay
12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh wow, sounds like you are getting in quite a bit of exercise... good for you. Does your stroller strides class move to an indoor location for the winter?

I keep thinking about joining stroller strides in the Spring now that I finally have a jogging stroller.

BigDog
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Power to you ladies for keeping the momentum. Unfortunately, I stopped running shortly after I finished c25k back in June. It was just so darn hot this summer that I couldn't do it. I kept telling myself that when the temps cooled off I'd get right back into it. Problem is I think I lost my ability to run so I started c25k over again, but now I'm not so motivated with it. Plus, like Art said, I'm struggling with finding a time to run. I am physically unable to get myself up at 5am to work out, and then the window of opportunity that I do have in the morning (while DS1 is at preschool) I've been spending it carting DS2 around doing errands. Since I'm caught up with Xmas & food shopping for the moment I vowed to take DS2 out for a run tomorrow morning. Also, I don't have a treadmill so I have to do my running outside, which I don't mind the cold, it's just finding a time to do it while its daylight. I would love to do b210k with you but I think I've got to get back to being able to do 5k again. *sigh*

hellokitty
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Oh wow, sounds like you are getting in quite a bit of exercise... good for you. Does your stroller strides class move to an indoor location for the winter?

I keep thinking about joining stroller strides in the Spring now that I finally have a jogging stroller.

Yeah, I've been trying to get myself back into a good routine again. However, we are leaving for a trip in less than two wks, so who knows how well I will do when we get back, lol. Yes, our stroller class uses indoor facilities (mall and warehouse) during bad weather. I bet your stroller strides class in your area has alternative arrangements too, you should call to ask. It's so much easier to know I will get two workouts in each wk, just from stroller class and childcare is a non-issue, kwim? Plus, it's a great way to make friends for you and your toddler!

Bigdog, even though you feel out of shape, I bet that once you start C25K again, you will find yourself skipping ahead and fast tracking yourself through the program. That is what I have done. I had the same situation in July, it was just too damn hot and then in August, we went on vacation and school started, it was nuts. I ran my last 5K in early October and did kind of a fast track C25K to catch myself back up again and took a break from running on my own (outside of stroller class) for almost two months, before getting back into it again. I ran 40 min straight yesterday. I didn't think I could do it, but decided not to do the interval walk prompts and was surprised that I was ok. Granted, I am training now on a treadmill, instead of outside, but I know that with the weather and schedule, the treadmill will allow me to be more diligent about working out than leaving myself at the mercy of the weather outside. So, if you are up to it, start up again. You will be surprised how quickly you bounce back.

artvandalay
12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
HK I thought of you today because I remember you had asked what people were settings people were using on their treadmills.

I had been using 4.7 or 4.8. Today I tried something different, set it to 4.5 with 1% incline. I ran for a little over 50 minutes and felt really good. I think I could have kept going but didn't have the extra time today.

So yeah, I ran slow... I think I was just under 4 miles. I haven't run past 4 miles yet, but I really think I could have done this today.

So even though my time is pretty slow, maybe it's better (for me at least) to run slower at a more comfortable pace? Also it really helps to watch tv or a movie on the treadmill if you are able to... really helps the time pass.

BigDog, I totally hear you. It can be really hard to find the time. If you ever start up doing C25K let us know how you are doing. Perhaps once the crazyness of the holidays pass you might be able to find a little more time.

minnie-zb
12-17-2011, 05:51 PM
I signed up for a 5K in the spring yesterday. I'm using this as a push to get back on the running -- although I'm not too excited about running in the cold.

minnie-zb
01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Happy New Year!

Any goals for the next couple of months? I'm purposely *not* saying resolutions!

Here's mine for the next 3 months:

*Follow the c25k program and get back on track and ready for a spring 5K
*Walk on days I'm not running (I think I need the extra movement to actually lose some weight).
*Strengthen my core -- my abs and back muscles could really use some strengthening.

Anyone else?

jgenie
01-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Would someone please post a link to the C25K and the shorts from Kohls. I really need to start exercising and maybe this will work for me. How much time do the workouts take? TIA

minnie-zb
01-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Would someone please post a link to the C25K and the shorts from Kohls. I really need to start exercising and maybe this will work for me. How much time do the workouts take? TIA

C25K link (http://www.c25k.com/), I use an app for my iPhone. It is called Ease into 5K. Starting it takes me about 30 minutes which is great, but I think it increases in time some -- maybe a total of 45 minutes?

Sorry, can't help with the shorts.

artvandalay
01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Happy New Year!

Any goals for the next couple of months? I'm purposely *not* saying resolutions!

Here's mine for the next 3 months:

*Follow the c25k program and get back on track and ready for a spring 5K
*Walk on days I'm not running (I think I need the extra movement to actually lose some weight).
*Strengthen my core -- my abs and back muscles could really use some strengthening.

Anyone else?

Great goals! And Happy New Year as well!!

Hmm.. I just told someone last night at a party my goal would be to run for an hour straight... I'm almost there. I running 50 minutes so I think I'll be hitting the hour soon.

So, my official goals/resolutions are:

Run 60 minutes
then officially train for a 10K
Run and complete a 10K by this fall
Lose 10 pounds (ha.. I keep saying this, but I think I will do it this year)

I like your goal of strenthening your core. My abs and arms are in sorry shape. I did some Jillian Michaels DVD's and they were great but I got out of practice using them. I've been thinking of getting a kettlebell exercise set that comes with a DVD. I think the particular Kettlebell program I'm looking at seems like it would be fun, so I might stay with it. I get bored really easily with workout DVD's, tho.

PP when I get a chance I'll try and find the Kohls shorts. They are Fila, I think. They were linked to in the "Couch to 5K Support Group" thread in MommyFit. I use them nearly every time I run on the treadmill.

minnie-zb
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Holy-Moly. I did a cardio kettlebell workout yesterday -- wasn't going to run, a little cold here finally. My tushy is sooooo sore! I can barely walk.

hellokitty
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Great goals everyone!

Art, I would say that my NYR would be very similar to yours, lol. I'm hoping that if I increase the amt of time that I can run, that my 5K time will improve as well.

7pages
01-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I think these are the shorts everyone talks about. I just ordered some for myself! They are called FILA SPORT® Endurance Bermuda Shorts.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/crosssells/intimates/fall2011intimatesmailer/activewear/PRD~441406/FILA+SPORT+Endurance+Bermuda+Shorts.jsp

LBW
01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm insane. I'm signed up for a 10-mile run on 4/1 (Cherry Blossom in DC) and a 1/2 marathon at the end of April (St Luke's in PA). I still hit a wall around 2-4 miles depending on the day, so I'm really not sure if I'll be able to complete either race. Gotta seriously start training!

hellokitty
01-05-2012, 01:38 PM
I think these are the shorts everyone talks about. I just ordered some for myself! They are called FILA SPORT® Endurance Bermuda Shorts.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/crosssells/intimates/fall2011intimatesmailer/activewear/PRD~441406/FILA+SPORT+Endurance+Bermuda+Shorts.jsp

Yes, sorry (problem with reading on my iphone and responding by computer later on, I forgot to answer this question) those are the famous fila running shorts! I love mine and need to get more of them!

hellokitty
01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm insane. I'm signed up for a 10-mile run on 4/1 (Cherry Blossom in DC) and a 1/2 marathon at the end of April (St Luke's in PA). I still hit a wall around 2-4 miles depending on the day, so I'm really not sure if I'll be able to complete either race. Gotta seriously start training!

Wow, well the good thing is that when you sign up, you're committed. Even if you have to walk parts of it, that's ok! Completing it is the main goal!

7pages
01-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the inspiration! Thanks to you guys, my husband and I started the Couch to 5K 6 months ago and have continued to run at least 3x a week for 30 minutes. But I've been reading these posts and want to be able to run a little longer so I just bought Bridge to 10K.

I want to thank you BBB! Neither of us had exercised in the last 15 years, since our first was born!! (yikes!)

:bowdown:

minnie-zb
01-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the inspiration! Thanks to you guys, my husband and I started the Couch to 5K 6 months ago and have continued to run at least 3x a week for 30 minutes. But I've been reading these posts and want to be able to run a little longer so I just bought Bridge to 10K.

I want to thank you BBB! Neither of us had exercised in the last 15 years, since our first was born!! (yikes!)

:bighand: Congratulations! That is truly wonderful.

Went running today (currently on Wk2D2) -- of course this is the second time through the program. :o Hopefully it sticks this time! Hah!

I'm scheduled to run the George Washington Parkway Classic on 4/22 -- I would love to be able to run the entire thing, but honestly I'm not sure I'm a distance runner (even at 5K).

hellokitty
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
7pages, that's awesome! I'm most especially impressed that the two of you did this together. I think it is often hard to get both spouses on board at the same time. WTG!

Well, I am having to start over bridge to 10K, since I took a long break from it. I did go running on Sunday (37 degrees, but sunny and no snow!) and did ok. I don't have much experience running outside in cooler weather, so I discovered that I overdressed and also that I need to find something that my iphone (with otterbox) can fit into that doesn't bump around in a pocket, since it was really annoying me to have it in my polar fleece pocket. Otherwise, I plan to work out on the treadmill, but if the weather permits, I'll force myself to run outdoors. I'm trying to do zumba 1x a wk and stroller class 2x a wk as well, so may only do, "real" running 1-2x a wk. Also trying to do primal eating. I had some luck going low carb a few months ago losing some wt, but unfortunately, Thanksgiving onward and then a trip mixed into that was the doom of me. So, I need to start off fresh again!

artvandalay
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM

That is awesome!!! Keep up the good work and keep posting (we will try and hold you accountable :jammin:)

I'm scheduled to run the George Washington Parkway Classic on 4/22 -- I would love to be able to run the entire thing, but honestly I'm not sure I'm a distance runner (even at 5K).

Good luck minnie! You can do it!

I need to find something that my iphone (with otterbox) can fit into that doesn't bump around in a pocket, !

Have you tried one of those armbands? Or did you not like an armband holder? I can't remember.

Well, I am changing my strategy on this whole 10K thing. I kept trying to run an hour straight during the week while my 20 month old naps, but her naps are getting shorter :irked: and I don't have time to warm up, run, cool down and shower.

SO here is my new workout plan for 2012:

1. I am going to do resistance/strength training using this 2 - 3x per week

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Kettlenetics-Slim-Tone-Kit/dp/B001EQW8W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327361398&sr=8-1

I have done it twice now and holy crap.. I am SO SORE. Like everywhere.... even my inner thighs which I could never figure out how to tone... so I will be really curious as to what my results will be. I can do the 20 minute if I'm short on time, instead of the 40 minute.

2. I will use the "interval/fat burn" program on the treadmill once or twice a week (this way I can do only 35 to 40 minutes and still shower before DD wakes)

3. I will do my long run either Sat. or Sun. DH is home and I can take my time running as far/long as I want. I am running 50 minutes... I hope to work up to one hour soon.

minnie-zb
01-24-2012, 12:52 PM
1. I am going to do resistance/strength training using this 2 - 3x per week

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Kettlenetics-Slim-Tone-Kit/dp/B001EQW8W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327361398&sr=8-1

I have done it twice now and holy crap.. I am SO SORE. Like everywhere.... even my inner thighs which I could never figure out how to tone... so I will be really curious as to what my results will be. I can do the 20 minute if I'm short on time, instead of the 40 minute.

I have that and it is the one I use. I don't do it regularly like I should :bag

When I do use it, it amazes it me how I feel muscles I never knew I had! It's a good sore, but you really do feel it.

I keep thinking I will do it on the days I'm not running, but I don't. Maybe you can keep me encouraged? I really want to hear how it goes for you.

artvandalay
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I have that and it is the one I use. I don't do it regularly like I should :bag

When I do use it, it amazes it me how I feel muscles I never knew I had! It's a good sore, but you really do feel it.

I keep thinking I will do it on the days I'm not running, but I don't. Maybe you can keep me encouraged? I really want to hear how it goes for you.

Oh, glad someone else here has this! How long have you used it? Have you seen any results? Do you do both the 20 minute and the 40 minute workout?

I've only done the 20 minute workout twice, but I found it to be pretty fun. I like her personality. I was going to interval run today, but I'm taking the day off because my legs and thighs are still pretty sore (I assume this was the right decision, right?) Will try and run tomorrow.

I don't know when I'll be able to move up to the 40 minute workout.. maybe a couple of weeks? Right now I am in pain!!

Let's totally motivate each other with the Kettlenetics/running, OK?

hellokitty
01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Art, I have Jillian Micheal's kettle ball workout and it is a good workout. Except I found out later when I did research (it was a whim purchase), that ppl consider her to have poor kettle ball technique. I should do my KB workout more often, but I worry that the ball will go through the wall or tv, b/c I have weak strength, lol.

minnie-zb
01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Oh, glad someone else here has this! How long have you used it? Have you seen any results? Do you do both the 20 minute and the 40 minute workout?

I've only done the 20 minute workout twice, but I found it to be pretty fun. I like her personality. I was going to interval run today, but I'm taking the day off because my legs and thighs are still pretty sore (I assume this was the right decision, right?) Will try and run tomorrow.

I don't know when I'll be able to move up to the 40 minute workout.. maybe a couple of weeks? Right now I am in pain!!

Let's totally motivate each other with the Kettlenetics/running, OK?

I haven't done it consistently so I can't say I've seen results. I have a hard time believing you wouldn't based on the fact it makes my muscles hurt!

I've done the 20 and the 40 minute. I think I did the 40 back in early January. Oy. I didn't finish. It actually involves some floor work for the tummy. I was very, very sore after the 40 minute dvd. I think I will go back to the 20 minute and see if I can stick with it this time. I think you would need to take a day off in between to let your muscles recover.

Sounds like a good plan to motivate each other!

artvandalay
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Art, I have Jillian Micheal's kettle ball workout and it is a good workout. Except I found out later when I did research (it was a whim purchase), that ppl consider her to have poor kettle ball technique. I should do my KB workout more often, but I worry that the ball will go through the wall or tv, b/c I have weak strength, lol.

If you think it's a good workout, I'd stick with it, too. Did they think the moves were unsafe? Or just not typical kbell technique? I read one review of Kettlenetics where someone said it is not really proper kettle bell technique. I kind of figured that, since the lady is a dancer and you are flinging and flipping this thing around. As long as it wouldn't injure me, I wanted to try it. The reviews were pretty glowing.

I am also kind of a weakling with upper body strength, so the smaller 4lb ball was a little more appealing to me.

I really didn't know how much I would get much out of this tiny thing, but my body was praying for mercy. I will admit, too, that I am terrified of flinging that thing into the tv screen.

I am hoping to do some interval running today.

artvandalay
01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
. I think I did the 40 back in early January. Oy. I didn't finish. It actually involves some floor work for the tummy. I was very, very sore after the 40 minute dvd. I think I will go back to the 20 minute and see if I can stick with it this time. !

I actually watched the 40 minute yesterday to see what was involved. I was surprised about the floor work, too. It looks pretty tough!

hellokitty
01-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Art, I realized that I forgot to specify that I have, "weak HAND strength," lol. So, that is why I am afraid the kettle ball will go flying into the tv or wall. I still have some residual carpel tunnel from my last two pregnancies and my hand strength is just not the same as before.

Oh and I thought I would post that if you have a kindle or kindle app for your smart phone or tablet device, they currently have a free e-book for beginner runners! It was really easy to download to my iphone (never done it before, but if I can do it, anyone can) and it got good reviews. Sorry, I am not going to link, b/c I cannot figure out how to do it w/o including a personal link to my amazon acct, but here is the info to look upon amazon...

The Ultimate Beginner's Running Guide: The Key to Running Inspired - Limited Discount Edition [Kindle Edition] By: Ryan Robert

artvandalay
01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
The Ultimate Beginner's Running Guide: The Key to Running Inspired - Limited Discount Edition [Kindle Edition] By: Ryan Robert

Just downloaded it to my Kindle, thanks! Love free books. Great reviews, too!

Minnie, I did 35 minutes of interval running on the treadmill on Wed, and then yesterday threw caution to the wind and did the 40 minute Kettlenetics program. It wasn't easy, but I made it through. I had a little bit of a hard time following her in the beginning, because she was going pretty fast. I also followed the easy/modifier chick for most of it. I felt fine yesterday.

This morning, I was in a world of hurt. I feel better now, but I was really feeling it in the morning. I even had to take some Advil.

I doubt I can do any long runs this weekend... too much to do and DH and I are going out of town for the night.

I am definitely sticking with this program. I might interchange the 20 and the 40 depending on how much time I've got that day... but I will take at least one day off in between these workouts, for sure.

artvandalay
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
OMG you guys... I ran 4.8 miles yesterday... in 32 degrees weather! It took me an hour, but I did it! I am so proud of myself! This is the farthest I have ever ran.

I have never run in cold weather and did not know what to expect. I wasn't even really sure what to wear, but between a mishmash of what I had and DH's black running spandex-y pants, it worked out.. just wore lots of layers. Once I got going, it really wasn't bad at all. I was the only one on the path, so, so I was slightly paranoid being out there all alone.

I was nervous when I got to the path because it was mostly covered in a light dusting of snow. I thought it might be slippery, but it wasn't.

I need to remember a few things if I ever attempt this again:

I need to get gloves that are smart-phone friendly. I had to keep taking off my gloves to change my playlist.

I need to smother my lips in vaseline. Between the sun/cold and me breathing they were suffering!

I really need to put together a better playlist. I gave up at one point and just put on Pandora.

7pages
01-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Wahoo! Congratulations!!! I'm impressed!!
:cheerleader1:

artvandalay
01-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Wahoo! Congratulations!!! I'm impressed!!
:cheerleader1:

Thanks!! How do you like the famous Fila shorts?

hellokitty
01-31-2012, 09:52 AM
GREAT JOB ART!

I have been slacking in the pure running dept (doing stroller class, but not having time to just plain run for a extended period of time). Today, it is going to hit the 50's. Yes, it's some freak weather. So, if DH gets home early, I am going to run outside!

artvandalay
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
GREAT JOB ART!

I have been slacking in the pure running dept (doing stroller class, but not having time to just plain run for a extended period of time). Today, it is going to hit the 50's. Yes, it's some freak weather. So, if DH gets home early, I am going to run outside!

Thanks! And yeah.. What is up with this weather? It was beautiful yesterday (50's) and this morning it is nice and sunny and supposed to be 52. I would love to run outside today! I could even take DD and bundle her up... but my 4 year old is home today from preschool and DH doesn't get home until late.

If your DH gets home early, try and get out there....because who knows, we may get a blizzard next week like we did in February of last year. My boys are dying for some snow. This is the mildest/weirdest winter I can remember.

hellokitty
01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks! And yeah.. What is up with this weather? It was beautiful yesterday (50's) and this morning it is nice and sunny and supposed to be 52. I would love to run outside today! I could even take DD and bundle her up... but my 4 year old is home today from preschool and DH doesn't get home until late.

If your DH gets home early, try and get out there....because who knows, we may get a blizzard next week like we did in February of last year. My boys are dying for some snow. This is the mildest/weirdest winter I can remember.

I know, we just had a blizzard on Sunday, the all the snow melted overnight, and it's beautiful today. Don't you love living in the midwest?

artvandalay
01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
HK, what's funny is that I had 3 different people (including 2 people who live in Florida) tell me that this was supposed to be the harshest winter ever (with record snow). Even my neighbor (who I believe gets his info from the Farmer's Almanac) warned me in the fall, "Oh, get ready, this winter is going to be AWFUL!"

hahaha! You guys were WRONG!

minnie-zb
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Art, you are a running maniac and a little bit sassy! :boogie:

I ran on Sunday -- it went very well. Came down Sunday night with the horrible stomach virus making the rounds. It was horrible.

The weather is in the 60's today and I should go run, but I'm not feeling it. :bag

hellokitty
02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
HK, what's funny is that I had 3 different people (including 2 people who live in Florida) tell me that this was supposed to be the harshest winter ever (with record snow). Even my neighbor (who I believe gets his info from the Farmer's Almanac) warned me in the fall, "Oh, get ready, this winter is going to be AWFUL!"

hahaha! You guys were WRONG!

Lol, I know. Everyone said the same thing too, and my neighbors across from us are snow birds, and I'm thinking that they may have been ok staying here this winter instead of going out to AZ.

I didn't end up running. I don't know if it is the weather or what, but my sinuses are a mess, so I've been dealing with a lot of sinus pressure, headache and stuffy nose and decided that I'm not going to go running when my head feels so bad. The bad thing is that the weather is still nice today, but I'm still blah. By the time I feel better again, we'll probably be in the depths of winter again!

artvandalay
02-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh great. Is it possible to sprain a butt muscle? Ugh. I was just doing the 40 minute cardio kettlenetics (she goes really fast!) I don't think I was keeping up with her/doing them right. Was doing some sort of side squat lunge thing and pulled something down there. I'm surprised at how much it hurts.

Will try and run outside tomorrow. Would have attempted it today but it's raining.

Oh, I found a really good FREE music playlist... will post when I get a chance.

artvandalay
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Ran a little over 4 mi yesterday with my sister. We went to a wooded path that actually had some small hills and elevation. There were frozen patches of ice on the path in some sections, and lots of muddyness... probably should hav picked a different place to run.. oh well.

So what do you guys think of this: my sister is a new-ish runner. She runs a little on the treadmill here and there. She did a 5k last year but couldn't run the whole way, I think she walked quite a bit.

She just told me she signed up for a half marathon this summer! I don't think she can run longer than 20 min. without stopping right now. She said she is doing some sort of half marathon training program (one where you run one day, strength train the next, etc.).

Wouldn't it be better for her to do the C25K and get that down first? Or at least complete a 10K?

OH, and wanted to add: She also has asthma. She has to carry her inhaler. Not sure how much of this complicates things, but I would imagine it could. The last time she took a long run she had to stop halfway and run to her car to use her inhaler.

Oh, and I ordered a Spibelt to hold all my junk! Hope it gets here before my run next weekend.

babybell
02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Ran a little over 4 mi yesterday with my sister. We went to a wooded path that actually had some small hills and elevation. There were frozen patches of ice on the path in some sections, and lots of muddyness... probably should hav picked a different place to run.. oh well.

So what do you guys think of this: my sister is a new-ish runner. She runs a little on the treadmill here and there. She did a 5k last year but couldn't run the whole way, I think she walked quite a bit.

She just told me she signed up for a half marathon this summer! I don't think she can run longer than 20 min. without stopping right now. She said she is doing some sort of half marathon training program (one where you run one day, strength train the next, etc.).

Wouldn't it be better for her to do the C25K and get that down first? Or at least complete a 10K?

OH, and wanted to add: She also has asthma. She has to carry her inhaler. Not sure how much of this complicates things, but I would imagine it could. The last time she took a long run she had to stop halfway and run to her car to use her inhaler.

Oh, and I ordered a Spibelt to hold all my junk! Hope it gets here before my run next weekend.

I knew someone who was so incredibly proud of herself for "running" or "finishing" a half marathon last year.... when really she ran in the beginning, walked the whole way, and ran across the finish line. Maybe this is something along the lines of what your sis is thinking? To me it doesn't really mean anything—I'm training for a half marathon and I am running the whole thing no matter what.

hellokitty
02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
I knew someone who was so incredibly proud of herself for "running" or "finishing" a half marathon last year.... when really she ran in the beginning, walked the whole way, and ran across the finish line. Maybe this is something along the lines of what your sis is thinking? To me it doesn't really mean anything—I'm training for a half marathon and I am running the whole thing no matter what.

:yeahthat: It sounds like your sis doesn't realize either how much is involved for training for a half marathon. There is never anything wrong with having to do some interval walking, but it shouldn't be more walking than running, but I guess that if she is ok with it and thinks it is an accomplishment, then good for her. I know that sometimes even experienced runners end up walking. A spouse of Dh's co-worker is an avid marathon runner, but last fall she had a horrible run and ended up walking more than half of a marathon, I think that she got dehydrated or something and just wasn't feeling that well. So, is she trying to talk you into doing the half with you, lol?

I can't wait to hear your review of the spibelt. Also, I love to hear about that playlist you found too! I only did stroller class 1x last wk, b/c I have some sinus stuff going on, but am trying to get back into working out more often again this wk. Stroller class this morning went better than I thought it would, but I can't wait to run outdoors again.

artvandalay
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I think she is planning on running the entire thing. I guess I just thought it would be best to start with a shorter distance race. She has a really hard time finding her pace. She runs pretty fast and then burns out and then has to walk.

Oh, and HK.. I forgot to post the link for the free music. It's awesome! It's all mash-ups. Look past the bad graphics/creepy half faces..lol

http://www.bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2011/

My favorites are 2011 album are #4, #5 and #15 which is an awesome Salt & Pepper mash up.

Also who knew Fleetwood Mac & Snoop Dog would sound so good? IT's from the 2009 album.

http://www.bootiemashup.com/bestofbootie2009/

on the left hand side, first song - DJ BC - Everyday Girl. I haven't had time to listen to all the older albums, but I've already loaded up my playlist with about 18 songs. I like that there are many old school songs mashed up with newer songs. Now I feel hip knowing who Flo Rida is..lol.

It doesn't go through itunes, so it was kind of a PITA to get it onto my iphone, but now I'm glad I've got lots of free music to run to. You can download all of them onto a zip file, but I just picked the ones I wanted and downloaded them individually.

minnie-zb
02-07-2012, 11:03 AM
I think your sister is crazy, but then she probably thinks I'm an underachiever! :)

Personally I think she should train for a 10K first and then move to the half-marathon, but that is just me. I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself.

How's your tushy?

It's a beautiful day and I'm going to run. We need a smiley who is running at warp speed!

minnie-zb
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Can we talk shoes for a minute? When do you think we need to replace? Any thoughts?

artvandalay
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Ha.. I think I pulled a hamstring from Kettlenetics. I felt better the next day, though. That 40 minute one is a doozy.

Did you run? How did it go?

Can we talk shoes for a minute? When do you think we need to replace? Any thoughts?

So funny you should ask this, because I was just wondering myself. I am reading the free "Begginer's Running" book that HK linked to... it's really good. I just started reading it but there is so much useful information in it, I am really enjoying it.

I just started reading the part about when to replace shoes. It said you should be able to get 300-400 miles out of a pair (depending on your running terrain, distance and duration.) It says 6 months is a good rule of thumb.

I should look back in the old c25k to find out when I bought mine... I think it was March? Anyway, there is no way I've run that many miles... but I've been using my shoes for running errands when I really should just be saving them for running. I was just in the running store over the weekend and I probably should have picked up a new pair.

If you guys love a particular running shoe, do you stick with the same model or try a new one? My current shoes just got upgraded to a newer model... so not sure if I should find the older ones on discount or try the newest version. Maybe I'll just have the guy at the running store recommend a few for me and I'll see which ones I like.

There is a 7K next month (I've never heard of a 7k..lol) It looks like a cool St. Patrick's Day theme. DH and I are thinking of doing it, but looks like everyone wears green... I might have to pick up something green to wear.

minnie-zb
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
400 Miles!?! I'm good for a little longer! I wouldn't get the same pair again -- I like them and they've been good, but I'd like them to fit a little better in the heels. My problem is my one foot is bigger than the other which is a challenge.

I did run yesterday! I'm feeling really good about it -- it is going so much better than the first time I tried C25K. I can feel it in my legs today.

Now if I could just commit to kettlenetics and it would be fabulous.

You could get a green t-shirt for the 7K.

hellokitty
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I think that if you are a pretty regular runner, most ppl replace their shoes at 6 mo. Since I took some time off for the last half of summer, I let mine go a little bit. I think I got my pr in March and then finally replaced them a few wks ago.

Art, I LOVE my asic nimbus 12's. The 13's came out and I tried them, but don't like them. The heel of the shoe comes up higher and rubs my ankle. So, I got another pr of 12's in a different color for a decent discount. :) I buy mine at Road Runner. I generally tend to buy two prs of the same shoe if I like them (not just workout shoes), b/c I have a difficult time finding shoes for my fussy feet. Oh and this is totally OT, *but* I finally got to try orthaheels and I LOVE them! I got 3 prs of sandals for only $12.99 each. Aren't you the one who loves orthaheels? They are great and I can see myself living in them this summer!

artvandalay
02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
HK, YES! I love Orthaheels! They are the only sandals that don't aggravate my PF. I even purchased Orthaheel inserts and put them in my Crocs Mammoth slippers and wear them around the house in the winter. They aren't as supportive as the fli flops IMO, but better than nothing.

I have two pair and wear them as soon as the weather warms up. I them around the house all day long, as well as outside. I am going to buy two more pairs this Spring. You found a really good price!! I've never seen them that low.