PDA

View Full Version : Pie crust question

Sweetum
11-19-2011, 10:35 PM
I watched a America's test kitchen episode where they showed a pie crust with vodka that's supposed to be easier to handle but still tender and flaky - apparently the alcohol prevents formation of gluten. Now, sounds wonderful in principle but I am not sure I could make it if kids would be eating it. Any thoughts? If you have an alternative recipe that is also fool proof, please share!

crl
11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't the alcohol evaporate in baking? How much is it anyway? A tablespoon or two for the whole pie? My mom makes a crust that uses vinegar, same principle, I guess. I don't have her recipe, but if you are concerned about the vodka, maybe google for vinegar recipes or substitue vinegar for the vodka?

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2011, 10:54 PM
My MIL has been using that recipe the past 2 years. I feed it to the kids with no hesitation. It hasn't been an issue. The crust is pretty yummy too.

Beth

Sweetum
11-19-2011, 11:05 PM
It's about 1/4 cup of vodka, so no measly amount. I was always under the impression that alcohol takes a really really long time to cook off which is why I was concerned.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2011, 11:11 PM
But, it's a 1/4 cup spread out over 8-12 pieces of pie, right? It's not really much by then and I never have noticed it being in there either for me or the kids.

Beth

Aishe
11-19-2011, 11:39 PM
This is the recipe I use. It seems awfully fussy, but it's really not that bad, especially once you've made it a couple times. And besides, it's worth it! I am a serious pie fanatic and this is the best crust I've tried. It's quite a feat to use all butter (for pure buttery flavor) and still achieve tenderness *and* flakiness.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Basic-Flaky-Pie-Crust-101858