PDA

View Full Version : Do I have enough newborn clothes?

flashy09
11-20-2011, 11:20 AM
My baby will be born beginning of December and it's cold here so I have about 6 cotton outfits with long sleeves and legs/feet covered (I think that's a "sleeper?") and 4 fleece ones. Then about 6 onesies - short sleeved and no legs and a few pairs of pants (can I put the pants on over the onesie or is that a big pain with diaper changes?). Is this enough? She is estimated to be about 6lbs right now so won't be a huge newborn and I should get at least the normal time in newborn clothes if not a little longer

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I think you need more onesies, for sure. You might want some long sleeved ones, like 3 of them. It's not a problem at all to do pants over onesies. It's a pretty normal way to dress baby for quite a while. I personally preferred footed sleepers (cotton or fleece are fine, sometimes with a onesie underneath) just because I loath dealing with baby socks. Pants with feet are good too.

My ds2 was 9.5lbs and we still got a month out of newborn clothes.

Beth

flashy09
11-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I think you need more onesies, for sure. You might want some long sleeved ones, like 3 of them. It's not a problem at all to do pants over onesies. It's a pretty normal way to dress baby for quite a while. I personally preferred footed sleepers (cotton or fleece are fine, sometimes with a onesie underneath) just because I loath dealing with baby socks. Pants with feet are good too.

My ds2 was 9.5lbs and we still got a month out of newborn clothes.

Beth

I think footed sleepers is the word I was looking for in my original post...i have 6 cotton ones and 4 fleeces ones, all with long sleeves. Then I have 5 or 6 onesies that don't have arms or legs and 3 or 4 pairs of pants. Still need more? I love buying clothes so it's not a problem, just making sure I am not overdoing it!

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2011, 12:53 PM
On some days between spit ups and diaper leaks we would go through 2-3 changes of clothes. So, yes, I would get more including more sleepers (I should have said that before :)). Don't forget an extra set of clothes to keep in the car or diaper bag. I'm of the "I'd rather have too many clothes and not have to do laundry as often" school of thought.

Beth

dec756
11-20-2011, 02:18 PM
i remember my dec baby going through about 5 outfits a day, if you can do that much laundry, go on with it!!

GvilleGirl
11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I mostly used footed sleepers. Much easier to get on then onsies. I don't think I had more than 10 total. At did have a bunch of sleep gowns for night time. I did buy an extra pack that I didn't open right away. That way if I needed them I'd have them and wouldn't have to run out with a newborn. Or I could return them later on. Unfortunately they told me mine would be about 6.5 lbs and both came out around 6 so I had to grab some preemie outfits and diapers anyway.

Beth24
11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I would also recommend some long sleeve kimono style (side snap) shirts. I like to put the baby in those and a swaddling blanket until the umbilical cord comes off. Definitely get some long sleeved onesies too as a PP recommended.

mecawa
11-20-2011, 03:21 PM
If the baby is estimated to be 6 lbs. right now, I think you could probably use some more because she'll probably be in them longer so it would be worth the money too. I prefer the long sleeve footed sleeper/romper type outfits for a newborn with a side snap t shirt underneath. I never found the onesies with pants to be a pain, but just find one pieces even easier and warmer for that first month.

ett
11-20-2011, 04:20 PM
On some days between spit ups and diaper leaks we would go through 2-3 changes of clothes. So, yes, I would get more including more sleepers (I should have said that before :)). Don't forget an extra set of clothes to keep in the car or diaper bag. I'm of the "I'd rather have too many clothes and not have to do laundry as often" school of thought.

Beth

:yeahthat: I would definitely get a few more of everything. You don't want to end up running out in the middle of the night!

sntm
11-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Personally, I loved the gowns that snap together at the bottom. much easier for middle of the night diaper changes instead of trying to get baby legs back inside the legs of the sleepers.

Babies do vary on need for clothing changes. DS rarely went through more than 2 outfits in a day.

Simon
11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Ds1 spit up a ton and with diaper mishaps, we could go through 2-3 outfits just in one diaper change! Ugh! Plus, it is so cold here we couldn't leave him in anything that was even a little damp.

Because it is cold here, we put a onsie on under every 1 piece sleeper, so we need an almost equal match up. Sometimes the sleeper gets dirty first (milk), sometimes the onsie (diaper).

I learned my lesson and stocked up with Ds2, who of course didn't spit up as much but I have about 15 onsies (short-sleeve); 5-6 long sleeve onsies, 15+ one piece sleepers, and then 4-6 pairs of pants. I do laundry about every 4 days for the NB. I like the TCP one piece sleepers with zippers because snaps are too hard to do in the middle of the night.

ETA: We don't dress our kids in "going out" clothes each day. They just go around in sleepers until much closer to 4-5 months. If you intend to "dress" your Dc for the day, then you might want different amounts of things.

MommyAllison
11-20-2011, 06:20 PM
That sounds like what I have in nb size for DD2 right now, and it is enough for us. So far DD2 isn't much of a spitter, so we only go through 1-2 outfits/24hr period. You can always use 0-3m stuff in a pinch if you run out. DD2 was 7lb4oz at birth, but 22" so she is already outgrowing some nb stuff by length at just under 2 weeks old...0-3m is worn much longer, so personally I wouldn't invest more in nb clothes.

echoesofspring
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I would definitely get some long sleeve onesies, if you end up swaddling with a flannel blanket, you might not need a sleeper, just the onesie underneath.

I don't know if Carter's makes a girls version (or if you care about boy/girl typical colors) of this set, but I had them and loved them, they were super soft and warm.

http://www.carters.com/carters/Long-Sleeve-4-Pack-Bodysuits/VM_111-574,default,pd.html?cgid=carters-baby-boy-multi-packs

ETA: I mentioned sleeper, but actually I was thinking pants. We ended up not using pants as much as I thought we would at the beginning b/c DS was plenty warm wrapped up in the blanket, and he was wrapped almost all the time

flashy09
11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Is fleece important or will she be warm enough with cotton and being swaddled? I thought I would use the fleece in case I went for a walk outside or the house felt especially cold, but I don't want to make her hot. Our house is a little drafty though

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Cotton layers are fine. One SIDS risks is overheating so I erred on the side of less hot. But, we also did fleece sleepers and just kept mindful of how we would feel wearing those clothes. If we would be comfortable then ok. I had heard baby should wear one more layer than what makes you comfortable but I am not sure if that is an up to date guideline.

Beth

citymama
11-20-2011, 08:26 PM
If your baby is projected to be small, make sure you have size NB and not just 0-3 months. My 6 lbers both wore sz NB for the first 6 weeks! I think what you have sounds like a good start, make sure you have at least 3-4 footed sleepers in NB size and 4-6 onesies. We used only short sleeved onesies for layering, not long sleeved. Also definitely a few cute, warm hats!

ETA We hated both gowns and sleepsacks, even though we had about 5 of each. Hardly used! We loved footed sleepers, cotton and light fleece on cold days/nights. We also didn't do the side snap tees, but the kimono style onesies by Under the Nile got used a ton.

mjs64
11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
When DS was born in early February, I had way too many 0-3 months size, and not enough NB sizes. IIRC, Baby Bargains essentially advises you to skip the newborn sizes, and I ended up having to buy them. We needed them for at least a month, and DS was 8 lbs, so not tiny. That said, I think the essential item, as PPs have said, is long-sleeved onesies. Still can't get enough of those. I like Carters and BabyGap. Don't go for the expensive prints at either place though. Get the packs of the basics.

We did not, however, go through anything like 5 outfits a day with DS as a newborn. 2 usually. He didn't spit-up much, but all babies are different. These days though...a different story.

ETA: Remember that most babies lose weight after birth as well and take a couple of weeks to regain it.

zag95
11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd get a couple of gowns- they are easier for night changes and you can tuck up their little feet.

I agree with PP who recommended side snap shirts- probably 1 pk of those (like 3)- they really recommend these until the umbilical cord falls off- so for at least 2 weeks.

I would see how it goes on everything else. DD was born in Jan and we would dress her in primarily sleepers (because they are easy)- not so much layering onsies under everything as some PP have mentioned. I much prefered snaps or zips up the front.

I'd probably do a cotton or fleece sleeper and then do some blankets....- or if you need another layer for at home, etc. A swaddler or newborn sleepsac.

I'd probably see how things are once DC arrives- they could be bigger or smaller and then you can make adjustments.
GL and congrats!

amom526
11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
DS was a January baby. He lived in zippered cotton footed sleepers for the first month or 2. Zippers are much easier for the middle of the night. When he was swaddled, it was a cotton swaddleme blanket over a cotton or fleece footed pajama thingy. Always with a onesie underneath-I don't think it must be done like that, I just think baby is more comfortable with the onesie underneath.

Dr C
11-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Both my babies were ~7 lbs and we followed the baby bargains advice to basically skip newborn size clothing and we were fine. Given that your babe will be a bit smaller, having some NB stuff probably makes sense but I think you're probably ok with what you've got--but I'd go ahead and buy some 3 month size stuff for later. If you need to stick baby in a slightly too-big outfit because everything else is dirty that's ok, and it'll amaze you how fast they grow into those clothes that look HUGE at first.

indigo99
11-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I'd be careful about buying too much of one thing before you know what you're going to like. As someone else mentioned, we've used mostly gowns. We have to put on something with actual legs when going somewhere so that he can be in the carseat, but he's worn gowns almost 24/7 at home. It's just the easiest thing when we have to change him constantly, and he's sleeping so much.

With DS1 we used more onesies because we used one under an A&A swaddle blanket for sleeping, but this one hasn't needed to be swaddled as much so we stuck with the gowns. Our house is pretty warm though, and he's usually being held anyway so he's not cold.

mjs64
11-21-2011, 01:41 AM
I completely forgot about side snap tshirts for the umbilical cord! Yes, you need these. DS's cord fell off exactly one week after birth (really fast) so we didn't need them for long. Aw. Thanks for this unexpected memory. Anyhow, week one, NB side snap tshirt and pants. You'll be indoors I hope!

flashy09
11-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Side snap t shirts - I don't have any! Do they have to be t shirts or are the side snap sleepers ok too? What about sleepers/shirts that have no buttons down the middle, are they ok for the cord? This forum has been so helpful, thank you to everyone so much.

hoodlims
11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Kimonos with the sleeves that can cover the hands are great! That, and get little hand mitts for your baby. Not for warmth reasons, but for scratching.

anonomom
11-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I think you've actually got a pretty good stash right now. I'd wait until she's born to buy much more, so you can see what you like.

FWIW, DD1 is a December baby, so I had several fleece outfits for her. She ended up living in onesies for her first month, because I was hormonal and FREEZING right after she was born. I think we kept the heat cranked to 75 for a few weeks! All she needed was a single cotton layer.

We tried both snap shirts and gowns, and did not like either. I also preferred short sleeved onesies for the first few weeks because they're easier to get on a floppy baby.

eta: good luck! First-time momhood is such a cool and wild ride. I'm feeling nostalgic, even though my youngest is only 2 months old!

Simon
11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Side snap t shirts - I don't have any! Do they have to be t shirts or are the side snap sleepers ok too? What about sleepers/shirts that have no buttons down the middle, are they ok for the cord? This forum has been so helpful, thank you to everyone so much.

For your earlier question, I have found my babies overheat pretty easily in fleece, so we try and stick with cotton.

We have maybe 1 or 2 side snap shirts and rarely used them for either baby. I don't think they are a must. We had no trouble with using our 1 piece footed sleepers over the cord. We just avoid onsies with pants combos until the cord falls off (the waist band of the pants are a problem).

vonfirmath
11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Cotton layers are fine. One SIDS risks is overheating so I erred on the side of less hot. But, we also did fleece sleepers and just kept mindful of how we would feel wearing those clothes. If we would be comfortable then ok. I had heard baby should wear one more layer than what makes you comfortable but I am not sure if that is an up to date guideline.

I am finding this to often be the case with my kid. (At least for cold. I expect it can get warm enough she won't need one more layer!) Her arms get cold-feeling even when I'm wearing short sleeves.

mjs64
11-21-2011, 04:57 PM
OP, you've gotten so many different responses, which makes complete sense. Every baby, mom/dad/caregiver, household, circumstance, are wildly different, and it's just impossible to prepare completely, even though you really want to. I think that's one reason why I would have another DC, to do it knowing "how to do it" now.

I tried so hard to prepare for DS's arrival. I had stacks of baby clothes and all kinds of gear and had spent huge amounts of time reading books, on these boards, consulting friends and family, etc. DH said it was like I was preparing for Babygeddon. As a first-time mom, I just didn't know what to expect. Many people told me that I would just have to figure it out once he was born, but I wanted to be as prepared as possible.

When he was born, I wasn't prepared. Couldn't have been. There is just no bigger life change. You'll figure it out. You won't know, until you have the baby, which clothes, diapers, etc., work for you, your baby, your household, that particular week/month of development until it hits. But then you will figure it out, and quickly I might add. It's quite a ride. Take pics. And get sleep now. All my best.

BayGirl2
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I agree not to stock up until you know what you like. You will need a little bit immediately, but shopping (online or in store) is a nice distraction in the first couple months. After the first few days/weeks you will develop preferences based on your routine.

I for one am not a fan of onesies, especially with those knit pants, (hate that look) but I know I'm probably in the minority for that. And onesies tend to replicate like stuffed animals for us, they are a popular gift and we have three times as many as we'll ever use, as cute as their slogans may be. My preference is one piece rompers without feet that snap or zipper up the front. Easy to put on, and can be layered with a onesie. My kids tend to grow out of anything footed much faster, so I just get cute socks. In terms of layering, newborns are swaddled most of the time so I find it easier to regulate the thickness of the blanket and not put too many layers on. We also use a lot of swaddle-capable sleep sacks for the first few months at night.

Both of my DC's were in the 6 lb range and wore NB size for the first couple weeks. But then they grew quickly into 3mos size and DD is already wearing 3-6mos stuff in some brands, at 2 months old. So YMMV with how long you need sizes based on how fast your baby grows, even if she starts small.