PDA

View Full Version : buy ski helmet or rent?

niccig
11-20-2011, 07:44 PM
So we'll be skiing with family in Colorado and are wondering if we should buy our own ski helmets. The thought of renting makes me squirm - what with head lice and all that..yuk.

We're not big skiers, though after all of this we might do it more as w/i driving distance of some places.

WatchingThemGrow
11-20-2011, 07:49 PM
ooh, great question! I'm going skiing with some other mamas this winter. SOOOOOO excited! I tried on a helmet at a local shop, but it was $120-140. gulp.

hbridge
11-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Buy, they are great for sledding and ice skating since the helmets are so warm...

infomama
11-20-2011, 08:59 PM
As someone who just eradicated lice I vote BUY.

baymom
11-20-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm paranoid about lice, too--so I say buy. I saw adult ski helmets at my Costco two weeks ago. I can't remember the price, but it might be worth a look.

lalasmama
11-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Buy.

Not even thinking about lice though. A helmet is like a carseat-- it needs to be replaced after it's done it's job in an impact. Just like I wouldn't rent a carseat because I wouldn't know it's safety history, I wouldn't rent a helmet for the same reason.

infomama
11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Buy.

Not even thinking about lice though. A helmet is like a carseat-- it needs to be replaced after it's done it's job in an impact. Just like I wouldn't rent a carseat because I wouldn't know it's safety history, I wouldn't rent a helmet for the same reason.
Excellent point.

blisstwins
11-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Don't know how large your children are but my 7 year olds are wearing bolle from costco that we $40.

StantonHyde
11-20-2011, 11:02 PM
They need to fit well too. Rei has great ones for kids & adults at reasonable prices. I love my helmet!

SkyrMommy
11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Buy.

:yeahthat: Plus the fit and straps/buckles of a ski helmet are so important to be sure that it can do it's job of protecting your head. Check your local small ski shops for sales and family discounts. My Boeri helmet fits fantastic.

daniele_ut
11-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I got one of the Bolle helmets at Costco last year for $40 and it fits really well and was very affordable. It is adjustable, which is great.