PDA

View Full Version : Any other fans of the BBC series "The Hour?"

citymama
11-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Is any one else in withdrawal from having gone through all 6 episodes of "The Hour"? My DH and I rented it on Netflix after reading this gushing review in the New Yorker. http://m.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2011/09/12/110912crte_television_franklin
The first episode was just so-so, but it really got us hooked and we absolutely loved it! It's set in 1950s London and the period details (and clothes!) are fab. A couple of the women look like they're straight out of the Boden catalog. Mad Men across the pond - but less chauvinistic and more witty. It's smart, suspenseful and very well scripted. Rent it!

Alas, we now have to wait a while before the next episodes are filmed and aired...

citymama
11-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Bump - really, has no one watched this? It's fantastic!

anamika
11-21-2011, 07:17 PM
I haven't watched but will now!
I feel like this about 2 other BBC/PBS shows - Sherlock (excellent modern day version where Watson blogs about Sherlock!) and Downton Abbey (new season starting Jan!!)

noodle
11-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I have it on tivo, but haven't watched it yet.
I've been waiting for enough time to watch tv for several nights in a row to start.
DH has bailed on pretty much every series we've started since we watched The Wire. Maybe I can get him hooked on this one.

Corie
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
and Downton Abbey (new season starting Jan!!)

There was an article in TV Guide recently recommending this show.

vludmilla
11-21-2011, 09:14 PM
I haven't watched but will now!
I feel like this about 2 other BBC/PBS shows - Sherlock (excellent modern day version where Watson blogs about Sherlock!) and Downton Abbey (new season starting Jan!!)

I haven't see the OP's show but I agree that the modern Sherlock is a great show!

pakin
11-21-2011, 10:04 PM
I've just finished the first DVD of the Hour (first 3 episodes) last night. The first episode was really slow, but it got better in episodes 2-3. I really like Romola Garai.

Downton Abbey and Sherlock are both really really good too. I can't wait for the new season.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

TwinFoxes
11-21-2011, 10:16 PM
I have a bunch of friends who've watched, but I keep missing it whenever it's on! I'd always see a FB posting of "just finished the Hour marathon on BBCA!" Argh.

Downton Abbey is awesome BTW.

AbbysMom
11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I posted about it in September :) Loved it.

I also loved Downton Abbey and Sherlock so thought I'd mention my newest favorite: I just finished watching a 3 episode show called Case Histories on PBS (a masterpiece show). Each episode is 2 hours. It's about a private detective and I believe it's set in Wales. The cinematography is beautiful. Really good show :)

sntm
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Love the recommendations! We don't have cable, so do a lot of netflix streaming. I LOVED Downton Abbey and Sherlock, so I'm glad to add The Hours and Case histories to the list.

ETA" grr, DVD only

Trigglet
11-21-2011, 11:59 PM
I posted about it in September :) Loved it.

I also loved Downton Abbey and Sherlock so thought I'd mention my newest favorite: I just finished watching a 3 episode show called Case Histories on PBS (a masterpiece show). Each episode is 2 hours. It's about a private detective and I believe it's set in Wales. The cinematography is beautiful. Really good show :)

Case Histories is set in Edinburgh (Scotland) where I lived for the last 10 years before coming to the US - it makes me homesick watching it!

I miss British TV a lot, and we don't have BBCA so rely on Netflix and Hulu. :heartbeat: Sherlock and Case Histories (in particular, quite partial to Jason Isaacs :wink2:), but really looking forward to seeing The Hour. OP - you have good taste in TV!

legaleagle
11-22-2011, 12:02 AM
FYI, Downtown Abbey and The Hour are both on free prime streaming at Amazon.

Loved Downtown Abbey and will definitely check out the Hour ASAP.

elbenn
11-22-2011, 12:07 AM
FYI, Downtown Abbey and The Hour are both on free prime streaming at Amazon.

Loved Downtown Abbey and will definitely check out the Hour ASAP.

Thanks! I was going to put it in my dvd queue but now I don't need to. I loved Downton Abbey. Lark Rise to Candleford is a sweet show--kind of like the English version of Little House on the Prairie. Monarch of the Glen and Cold Feet are a couple of other fun British shows.

elbenn
11-24-2011, 11:32 AM
The Hour is not on free Prime videos. I'm bummed as I was all set to start to watch it. Guess I will have to get the dvd.

anamika
11-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Ughhhhhhhh - no Amazon Prime and only Netflix streaming! Guess I will not be watching The Hour!

What about Case Histories? Is it on Netflix streaming?

Glad to see so many people liked Downton Abbey and Sherlock. Do we know if they are making more episodes of Sherlock??

citymama
02-23-2013, 06:06 AM
Bumping this old thread of mine from 2011 because I just finished watching Season Two of "The Hour" - if you folks haven't seen it yet, please do!

Ben Whishaw :loveeyes:

TwinFoxes
02-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Bumping this old thread of mine from 2011 because I just finished watching Season Two of "The Hour" - if you folks haven't seen it yet, please do!

Ben Whishaw :loveeyes:

Where did you watch? I missed a few episodes when it was broadcast.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, it was canceled by the BBC.

citymama
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Where did you watch? I missed a few episodes when it was broadcast.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, it was canceled by the BBC.

Yes, I did know that. :( I watched on Netflix - DVDs not streaming.