PDA

View Full Version : Carseats for Australia?

truly scrumptious
11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
We're planning a trip to Australia in the spring, and are not planning to bring our carseats. (We expect we'll only need carseats for the 2-3 days we're there, and we don't need them on the plane, so we don't want to have to deal with them at the airports, etc.)

Any suggestions as to the best way to go about getting carseats while we're there? I have no problem with buying a couple of inexpensive ones there and leaving them there (with family who will use them.) But everything I've seen online is $200 and up. Anything comparable to the Scenera available there?

The other options is renting, but I don't want to do that unless I have no other option. Plus it'll cost close to what a Scenera would here, so I figured might as well try to find a Scenera type solution.

Any ideas?
TIA!

wolverine2
11-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know if there is a Scenera equivalent, but stuff tends to be more expensive there, plus you have the hassle of trying to find the right store and have it be open). We go every couple years to Australia- I bought a booster seat there after a Ride Safer travel vest didn't really work out for us (we were in the car a lot and DS wanted to see out better). I had him in a harnessed seat at home, but they didn't really have harnessed seats for bigger kids. I don't remember seeing a cheap convertible seat or I would have bought it.

Is the Ride Safer vest an option for you? If not, I would probably just bring the Scenera and check it- yes, it's a pain at the airport, but only at the beginning and the end. Do you need it for leaving the airport? Or I would just rent one- that would be the easiest.

rin
11-21-2011, 12:02 PM
What about just getting two Sceneras (or whatever cheapy seat you're comfortable with) here, checking them (not gate checking, front desk checking) on the way there, and then leaving them? It'll probably be way cheaper & easier in the long run. Yeah, I know the recommendation is to not check carseats but I find that it greatly saves my sanity when flying, and I've never had a problem. Anyways, if you ordered two Sceneras from Amazon they'd still be in their original shipping packaging, so there really wouldn't be any problem with checking them.

truly scrumptious
11-21-2011, 05:17 PM
You know, buying here and checking them in all the way never occurred to me. Good idea, thanks!

It'll probably end up being cheaper too given how much the rentals there cost.

Anyone know if there is any problem (regulation-wise) with using carseats manufactured in the U.S. while driving in Australia? Do our carseats meet their standards?

wolverine2
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
They do have different standards, so a US carseat is technically not ok. But I've used ours every time and just figured if we got pulled over for some reason it wouldn't be a big deal since we were just visiting. If you plan to leave them there and have family use them, that might be a bigger issue- technically it's not legal (though I have not been impressed with the Australian standards and think the seats look safer here).

We always check the carseats with the baggage and just put them in the big plastic bags that the airlines provide... have never had a problem.

niccig
11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
They do have different standards, so a US carseat is technically not ok. But I've used ours every time and just figured if we got pulled over for some reason it wouldn't be a big deal since we were just visiting. If you plan to leave them there and have family use them, that might be a bigger issue- technically it's not legal (though I have not been impressed with the Australian standards and think the seats look safer here).

:yeahthat:

I take our seat from here. Seats aren't cheap there, so it will be easier to just bring your own. I've considered buying a seat and leaving it with my parents, but it's just much more expensive for a seat that will only get used once a year or so.

I have a car seat travel bag I've used when checked it.

Practice how to use a locking clip with a seatbelt. Depending on the car, you may not have locking seatbelts like we do here.

Depending on the age of your children, consider taking the seat on the plane and using it. We did that until DS was over 4 years old. He was much more comfortable and would sleep 8 out of the 14 hours on the plane. If you fly QANTAS, you have to call ahead of time and give them details of your seat include make model, widest point - I think they say no more than 16" or 17". I think my seat may have been a little wider, like 1/2" but just told them it was whatever their limit was. It fit fine. I would make a point of telling them at check in and at the gate that I had called and given them the information. I've read some people have had trouble using a seat on a plane, but I never did.

My tushie gets sore sitting down for so long on the plane. Last trip, I bought us blow up seat cushions that you can get at REI etc. It was much more comfortable.

truly scrumptious
11-24-2011, 10:41 PM
:yeahthat:

I take our seat from here. Seats aren't cheap there, so it will be easier to just bring your own. I've considered buying a seat and leaving it with my parents, but it's just much more expensive for a seat that will only get used once a year or so.

I have a car seat travel bag I've used when checked it.

Practice how to use a locking clip with a seatbelt. Depending on the car, you may not have locking seatbelts like we do here.

Depending on the age of your children, consider taking the seat on the plane and using it. We did that until DS was over 4 years old. He was much more comfortable and would sleep 8 out of the 14 hours on the plane. If you fly QANTAS, you have to call ahead of time and give them details of your seat include make model, widest point - I think they say no more than 16" or 17". I think my seat may have been a little wider, like 1/2" but just told them it was whatever their limit was. It fit fine. I would make a point of telling them at check in and at the gate that I had called and given them the information. I've read some people have had trouble using a seat on a plane, but I never did.

My tushie gets sore sitting down for so long on the plane. Last trip, I bought us blow up seat cushions that you can get at REI etc. It was much more comfortable.

Thanks for all the great tips!