PDA

View Full Version : ds knocked down at playplace

♥ms.pacman♥
11-20-2011, 10:31 PM
we were at mcdonalds today for lunch and ds was playing in the playplace area. i had just set him down and then within a few seconds he was knocked down cold by this other kid running around at full speed. like, one second DS was standing up, and then the next he was flat on the ground with this other kid (maybe 7 or 8 years old?) on top of him.. the back of ds head had practically bounced off the tile floor! :eek: it all happened so fast, i barely saw...i guess this kid wasn't looking and was running around and plowed right into him.

my poor DS, it looked like he got the wind knocked out of him and he was BAWLING. and my DS is TOUGH...he can go for DAYS without crying at all (despite doing things like scraping a knee, bumping his head, or busting open his lip, etc)..so this time he must have gotten REALLY hurt. anyway i felt so bad bc i was RIGHT THERE standing 3 feet away but it all happened so fast i couldn't do anything except comfort him after the fact. :(

anyway, right after it happened the kids' dad scolded his son and made him sit down, but then within a couple minutes he was back playing..and then within seconds he knocked down ANOTHER kid (toddler girl, looked same age or younger than DS)...the poor little girl was screaming her head off. after that the dad said "that's two! we're leaving.." and they left.

my DH was SOoOOoo pissed afterwards. he kept his cool there but afterwards in the car he was cursing and saying how he had wanted to sock that other guy out. i don't know what else the dad could have done though. I know it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but this is the first time my DS had ever been hurt by another kid at a playground so i guess it just makes a parent emotional. i keep replaying the scene in my head. i guess this is just something to get used to though...i know it's cliche but that "boys will be boys" comes to mind. i remember as a little kid hating playgrounds bc the boys would be so rough (and i was a shy, sensitive kid). i kept trying to remind DH that in about 5 years my DS is probably going to be the one knocking other kids over at the playground...:bag

eta: my stupid Mac mouse made me hit "send" when i was typing first sentence, sorry if this is incoherent/rambling.....

lalasmama
11-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Yikes! I'm sorry that happened! I hated when DD was under about 2.5yo--it seemed like she would get mowed over by the bigger kids....

And now...

My DD is approaching "that" age... she's getting too big for the mall playground, and, while she loves it, I'm always afraid she's going to (accidently) totally plow over someone's toddler.

Hope he's feeling better soon!

wellyes
11-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Aw, sorry. Poor kid. DD got bloodied up (figuratively) at McDonald's once too. I don't know why -- we've been to playgrounds, indoor play gyms, etc without incident. Something about McDonald's PlayPlaces make them seem a bit riskier.

KrisM
11-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Poor DS.

It does sound like the dad handled it well. Give a another chance and leave. Good for that.

My DS was 6.5 and had his finger broken by another kid in a slide at McD's. That's the last time we've played at one.

SnuggleBuggles
11-20-2011, 10:50 PM
You are lucky that the dad was paying attention and reacted pretty darned appropriately, imo. It sucks horribly that it happened and big ((((hugs))))) to ds. But, it was handled as well as it could have been.

Beth

TwinFoxes
11-20-2011, 10:51 PM
There always seems to be a too big or too out of control kid at indoor play spaces. But at least the kid's dad tried to do something. I'm sooo glad your DS is ok. My DDs seem to attract the rough kids, I sympathize. But it's kind of the risk we take. (note to self to not go to McDonald's play spaces! They sound awful.)

AbbysMom
11-20-2011, 10:55 PM
That is horrible! So sorry you guys had to go through that!

I know the feeling. At a Mcdonalds last year, a little girl was climbing up higher than my daughter, looked at me, smiled, ran down the stairs, kicked my daughter in the chest off the stairs (probably 5 stairs), onto the floor and then ran up into the tunnel maze. I still feel the intense anger I had! While my husband took care of DD, I ran around to find her mother and tell her that her kid had deliberately kicked a girl 4 years younger off a ladder. I couldn't shake that horrible feeling for days after!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Poor DS.

It does sound like the dad handled it well. Give a another chance and leave. Good for that.

yeah, i agree. my dh kept saying how he was mad that the other dad didn't even apologize (or ask his to kid apologize) and after DS was knocked down just asked dh "is he going to be ok?." well yeah, if it had been my kid i would have been mortified and would have apologized several times over (even if it was an accident) but i think with most guys it's different, and its more about "damage control" vs the "etiquette" over apologizing and whatnot...

and wow, some scary stories about McD playplaces!! :eek: in the one we went to, it's brand new and there's a separate "toddler" section for kids 3 and under, and we kept DS in there (and did not allow him to go to the 3+ section despite the fact he really wanted to), but still i guess its not failsafe..

♥ms.pacman♥
11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
There always seems to be a too big or too out of control kid at indoor play spaces. But at least the kid's dad tried to do something. I'm sooo glad your DS is ok. My DDs seem to attract the rough kids, I sympathize. But it's kind of the risk we take. (note to self to not go to McDonald's play spaces!)

TOTALLY agree with this. I thought that with DS almost 2, and the fact that he's super-tough, my DS would finally be old enough to enjoy things like bounce houses or indoor play places..but when we go to those places a lot of times i cringe because i see WAY bigger kids in there playing super rough, kinda out of control, and often the parents aren't right there bc they're supposedly old enough to play alone, which kinda makes it worse. with my DS, i'm often always kinda "hovering' to make sure he doesn't hurt another toddler or get in another kid's way.

Cam&Clay
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
You have touched on one of my pet peeves--older kids in play places. When DS1 was little, I used to get so angry at unsupervised kids in those places running around with no regard for the smaller kids around them. DS1 would get knocked down and hurt. Half the time, the older kids were WAY above the height restriction and shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

DS1 is very tall, but I absolutely would NOT let him into those places once he hit the max height. It's only fair to the smaller kids for whom the place is designed. For DS1, that meant he was not able to play past the age of 5 or 6.

It sounds like the dad was at least aware and did something about it.

vonfirmath
11-20-2011, 11:18 PM
TOTALLY agree with this. I thought that with DS almost 2, and the fact that he's super-tough, my DS would finally be old enough to enjoy things like bounce houses or indoor play places..but when we go to those places a lot of times i cringe because i see WAY bigger kids in there playing super rough, kinda out of control, and often the parents aren't right there bc they're supposedly old enough to play alone, which kinda makes it worse. with my DS, i'm often always kinda "hovering' to make sure he doesn't hurt another toddler or get in another kid's way.

(Or maybe the parents aren't there because they have a younger kid they have to stay with. It can be hard to "stay with" two kids at once)

I only let my son into bounce houses/etc after looking at what was happening and who was already playing.

When there are older kids monopolizing, we leave and go elsewhere because even when its the 2-4 play place, they mostly don't know how to play well with younger kids.

twowhat?
11-20-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm glad your DS is OK! And I agree that at least the Dad did something about it. I see too many parents who simply don't, because they simply aren't paying attention. I understand being mad though - I would've felt that the Dad could have at least apologized more profusely or have his child apologize...but at least he was watching and followed through with removing his child after the second incident. So I'd still be a little miffed but not much can be done about it.

The only reason I "hover" when at a playground with the girls is to make sure they DON'T get plowed over, hahaha!!! They are smallish for their age, and they are wimpy (sorry - but this is the best word that describes it!) and I've told kids before who got a little too close to watch it. But there's just not much more you can do because kids move FAST. If it did ever happen to one of the girls, I'd be trying hard to not make a big deal out of it so that they wouldn't shy away from playspaces. Now that I think about it, it makes me wonder if I should hover LESS so they don't get to where they expect me to "protect" them instead of learning to watch out for themselves a bit!

Uno-Mom
11-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I go to the mall.about 2x a year and this morning was one of those times. Dh was working and I was at my wits end for Christmas present ideas... Anyway, sprog and i stopped at the little play zone. It was pretty crowded and I left vowing not to go there unless it was practically deserted or my kid was about a year older.

Almost all the kids had a couple inches in sprog. They were actually fairly well-behaved but there's only so much patience and gentle turn-taking you can expect from 4 year olds! Sprog was kind of mobbed.

I think the dad did ok, if he knew that's what the kid needed. With my kid, even at her age, we apologize when she smacks someone or pushes. If she's super tired or something, I wouldn't make her do it personally but I would say something. But i know kids are different. And honestly, so are parents. I think some are mortified by that kind of thing. Me, I see it as bratty and careless but age appropriate to some extent. They are learning...

Tondi G
11-21-2011, 01:46 AM
I have big boys (as in a 5'3'' 10 year old and a 4'4'' 6 year old) and they can sometimes get a little wild when they are running around a playground. I ALWAYS make a point of reminding my kids to be aware of the little kids/toddlers playing in the area (and my kids are really apologetic if they happen to bump into a smaller child and help them up etc.). For the most part they are careful but there are always instances where bigger kids knock into little kids. I do recall being the mommy of a toddler and thinking "Wow these bigger kids are racing around and not being very mindful of my little guy" and thats when I would either shadow my kiddo so I would be "right there" or we would try to move to another area of the park/play structure. Now I am the mom to the "bigger boys". I think the other Dad handled it well.... let the kids play, he knocks a toddler down.... time out... back to play for another chance ... knocks a 2nd child down ... playtime is over!

maestramommy
11-21-2011, 07:59 AM
:hug::hug: Last year we went to the playspace at our local mall. It's just an enclosed area with small slides and barn animals to climb on (courtesy of Stonyfield:p), and meant for toddlers and maybe preschoolers. Well, this was Sunday around the dinner hour so it was a ZOO, with a lot of older kids running around. We went in there, and within 2 seconds of my putting Laurel down she got mowed down flat by a girl that had to be around 7. It happened just like what you described. She was running so fast she didn't see Laurel and obviously couldn't stop in time. Her older sibling actually stopped her and said, "you knocked that baby over!" Laurel looked stunned, then HOWLED for few minutes. After that she was fine, and played until it was time to go. I kept an eye on things, but really not much you can do when there are so many kids and many of them too old to be in there. I think the mother was there and might have noticed, but with so many kids and noise it's hard to know what's going on.

I think the Dad did what he could, and his response was reasonable. I understand your Dh being upset, but these things do happen.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
thx everyone for the replies! and yeah, i agree i'm glad at least the dad was paying attention ,i've read some horror stories on here where the parents aren't even paying attention or act like nothing is wrong.and within a few minutes after DS calmed down, and begged to play again :)

Cam&Clay - yeah,i get annoyed by that as well. i get that older kids want to play too, but seriously, most INDOOR play places are designed for toddlers and preschoolers, not for 7 and 8 yos to be running around at full speed. my DS is super-tall and i think he can be rough while playing so when he is much older, unless he is super careful i probably wouldn't let him play in those areas. i agree, a lot of places have height restrictions but they're mostly ignored.

Melaine
11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
That is frustrating. I get annoyed when I feel like not only do I need to watch my kids, but every other kid on the playground because I can't trust their parents to monitor their behavior. Not always the case, but there have been times.

My pet peeve is parents who do not follow the height guidelines. My girls just turned five and are tall for their age. They are also two of the most timid, wimpy (to borrow twowhat's appropriate term!) and reserved children you will meet. We just got a new, fun toddler play place at the mall and my children have just about outgrown it (I think the limit is 42"). Last time we went I reminded the girls this might be the last time they could go in (which seems so unfair as they aren't even in K yet). While we were there two siblings that were probably 9 and 11 were running around all over it. Most of the other kids were babies! I was watching the mom in amazement. I hate it when parents teach their children that the rules do not apply to them. I was surprised and secretly delighted when a security guard came over and told the mom her kids had to leave!

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2011, 10:07 AM
That is frustrating. I get annoyed when I feel like not only do I need to watch my kids, but every other kid on the playground because I can't trust their parents to monitor their behavior. Not always the case, but there have been times.

My pet peeve is parents who do not follow the height guidelines. My girls just turned five and are tall for their age. They are also two of the most timid, wimpy (to borrow twowhat's appropriate term!) and reserved children you will meet. We just got a new, fun toddler play place at the mall and my children have just about outgrown it (I think the limit is 42"). Last time we went I reminded the girls this might be the last time they could go in (which seems so unfair as they aren't even in K yet). While we were there two siblings that were probably 9 and 11 were running around all over it. Most of the other kids were babies! I was watching the mom in amazement. I hate it when parents teach their children that the rules do not apply to them. I was surprised and secretly delighted when a security guard came over and told the mom her kids had to leave!

we follow the rules but it sure sucks to have 2 kids of different ages when one gets too tall but not too old to want to play. :( Choices are no one gets to go (what we usually do) or little one can go and big one has to sit and watch. We do, however, ignore the rules if no one else is there.

Beth

Gena
11-21-2011, 10:34 AM
thx everyone for the replies! and yeah, i agree i'm glad at least the dad was paying attention ,i've read some horror stories on here where the parents aren't even paying attention or act like nothing is wrong.and within a few minutes after DS calmed down, and begged to play again :)

Cam&Clay - yeah,i get annoyed by that as well. i get that older kids want to play too, but seriously, most INDOOR play places are designed for toddlers and preschoolers, not for 7 and 8 yos to be running around at full speed. my DS is super-tall and i think he can be rough while playing so when he is much older, unless he is super careful i probably wouldn't let him play in those areas. i agree, a lot of places have height restrictions but they're mostly ignored.

FWIW, in my area some of the McDonalds playland and similar places have signs that they are for kids ages 3-10 or something like that. When we go to these, we often have the opposite situation where parents of 1 or 2 year olds let their children play in areas that are clearly designated for older children. It's definately harder to find indoor play areas for school age children than it is for littler kids and it's frustrating when these few places are taken over by toddlers.

(I understand that this was not the case in your situation, that you had your child in an area for kids under 3. I'm sorry this happened to your DS.)

*myfoursons
11-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Im sorry your little one was knocked over, it's always hard when that happens. I agree that the dad handled the situation well -- good thing your dh didn't get hot-headed, or he would have been the one in the wrong! If a dad came up yelling at me in that situation, he would have had an earful from me ;)

As a parent to 4 kids 7 and under, its tricky at play areas. We watch the posted ages, and my oldest is the most aware of watching out for little kids. If we fit the posted age/height requirements, my kids all play. They can get rambunctious, but its usually with each other. Honestly, I get annoyed when I see moms of young children giving my older kids the stink eye. As long as they're not going crazy or harming other kids, they have every right to be there, too. If anything, my two oldest end up protecting my two youngest from other toddlers who are getting a little rough! They're always running up to me pointing out the 2-year-old who shoved ds4 -- pretty helpful to have around!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Im sorry your little one was knocked over, it's always hard when that happens. I agree that the dad handled the situation well -- good thing your dh didn't get hot-headed, or he would have been the one in the wrong! If a dad came up yelling at me in that situation, he would have had an earful from me ;)

oh yeah, my DH did not say anything..he is the type to get really upset inside but not say anything and later b*tch about it. he even kept his cool last year when we were at a mall indoor play place and a 4-5 yo tried to kick my DS (then 11 mos old). This kid was standing on top of those little mini-slides, my DS was climbing up and this kid then tried (repeatedly) to kick DS off with his foot :eek: Luckily, my DH was right there and just whisked DS off to play on something else before he got hurt (didn't say anything to the kid or anything, parent was not in sight).

and yeah, at least the McDonalds playplaces have 3 and under areas, and a separate area for kids 3-10. wish more places had that and were strict to enforce it. the mall play place at our mall is clearly made for babies and toddlers/preschoolers. there is a height restriction (it's not very tall), it's carpeted and there are no tall things to climb on, just things like really short toad stools, short slides, tunnels for kids to crawl through/climb on. there are usually a few babies who can't even walk (can only crawl or scoot). It makes me nervous when i see kids as old as 7-8 yo climbing on the toadstools, standing on them and then trying to jump around to the other ones, and/or playing tag and such while at the same time there's 1yos crawling around below.:eek:

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Well 2 weeks ago i took my son to the playarea at our local mall well i was sitting down why he played no harm in that. well i hear crying so i look up and this i guess he was about 5 he was pulling my son by his hair dragging him across the floor. so i got up went over i said to him please get your hands off my son thank you. and the mom came over basically said do not talk to my son like that. I said well if he was not such a bully then i would not have too. she was like you need to let them work it out themselves if you keep babying him he will be a sissy. i said excuse me he is 20 months old he does not know how to defend himself your son does.i ended it with i think you need to teach your son not to bully little kids. boy i was fit to be tied.

EEK. ok that takes the cake!! :( that is horrible. and yeah, i'd get pissed at a comment like that...

reading all these stories (and the others i've read recently about their kids getting bitten or bullied and the parents doing nothing about it, or even getting UPSET when someone tries to discipline their kid d for beating up others) makes me actually feel way better about what happened yesterday! i mean, it was not done on purpose and the parent actually was right there and actually did discipline his kid...i was just mostly upset that ds got hurt. but i guess that's to be expected, especially knowing my DS (very active and adventurous little boy) :)

edurnemk
11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
You have touched on one of my pet peeves--older kids in play places. When DS1 was little, I used to get so angry at unsupervised kids in those places running around with no regard for the smaller kids around them. DS1 would get knocked down and hurt. Half the time, the older kids were WAY above the height restriction and shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

:yeahthat: I've even written letters of complaint to the mall administration because of that. DS has also been knocked down by 8-9 year olds in play areas meant for preschoolers.

I remember when DS was under 2, I'd stress out so much, know he's better at steering clear of the crazy older kids (as much as possible at least). I've had to step up and ask older kids to stop hitting or pushing him a few times. If the parents get upset I.don't.care, lesson number 1 when I was young was never hit a younger kid.

Worst playground story I've heard, my nieces got her 2 front teeth knocked out by another girl (and it didn't really seem like an accident) a couple years ago, my niece was about 8 yo. The girl and the mother didn't even apologize, the mother just remarked something along the lines of "kids will be kids, uh?" Are you kidding me? She was in a lot of pain, blood everywhere and she required extensive and expensive dental work!

georgiegirl
11-22-2011, 08:47 AM
This is exactly why I no longer allow my kids to play in indoor play areas. I was always that mom who told all of the older or rowdy kids to slow down and watch out for the little kids. I got lots of glares from other moms. I have no problem whatsoever with older kids playing in the play area, so long as they are playing with younger siblings and are playing nicely. I understand that when you have more than one kid, it's hard to say no. But if the older one is playing nicely with their younger sibling, then I'm fine with it.

Between rowdy kids and germs, I stay far far away from indoor play areas this time of year.

ETA: ever notice how many sick kids are at the play area...ugh.

swissair81
11-22-2011, 09:16 AM
When my oldest was about 2.5, I brought her to play at a fairly empty local park. She was a real climber and was having a blast running up the stairs and jumping across the bridge. I was watching her closely, but all of a sudden I didn't see her. Some kid (maybe about 7 years old) decided my kid was too little to play there, so he picked her up and carried her off the play structure, dumps her in front of me, and tells me that my kid was playing on the bridge (so he did me a favor and brought her to me.) I told him that my daughter was playing and he better not touch her again. I went over to his mother and she could not have cared less.