PDA

View Full Version : Dressing daycare going toddler in MN

hehateme
11-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Our DS1(26 months) goes to a Montessori school every day.
They spend time outdoors everyday.
Until now we have been dressing him up in sweat pants, tee shirt plus fleece top and a Jacket.
Winters in MN can be brutal. I was wondering if we should put on additional layer of clothing under his sweat pants.

It is hard because he has almost finished potty training and he takes great pride in being independent. We are now sure how he will be able to handle multiple layers of clothing along with cotton undies when he has to go.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

rin
11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a perfect situation for babylegs!

hehateme
11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi:

babylegs seem to be a perfect solution.
Will be ordering soon.

Thanks

mommytoC
11-21-2011, 06:22 PM
We've never done additional layers under - just put on snowbibs before going outside. DD#2's daycare teachers are using them already, even though we've
had minimal snow.

khalloc
11-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I live in Vermont where its also cold and brutal. I've never put anything on under my kids pants. Sometimes my son wears pants that are lined (like fleece-lined jeans). But in the winter the kids wear snow pants or snow bibs when they go outside. Thats enough to keep their legs warm.

Also if you think about it your legs dont really feel that cold when you are outdoors. Not like fingers, hands, feet, nose, etc...

Does you bring snowpants/bibs for your son in the winter? My sons daycare goes outside as long as its maybe like 15-20 degrees outside or warmer. If its really cold out and the wind chill is really brutal, they stay indoors.

Kindra178
11-22-2011, 12:30 PM
My kids go out at school as long as it is above zero (Chicago). I have never put a layer underneath pants. They do tend to wear fleecey sweatpants, which are warmer than cotton pants or jeans though. Maybe get a parka instead of a jacket? The LE Squall or Expedition Parka covers to at least midthigh. That, coupled with snowpants, should be fine.

Simon
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
We have some pairs of fleece lined jeans and some lined cotton pants that I use when it is cold/windy but not enough for snow pants.

I also regularly send a one-piece fleece snow suit to add an extra layer to Ds2's legs when it is cold and dry (no snow yet).

hehateme
11-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Our daycare asked for Snow bib so DS1 can be outdoors.
They also have policy is place to not go outdoors if the temperature falls below a certain threshold.
So we will keep on dressing him up in his sweat pants.
He is 26 months old and he refuses to wear anything but fleece sweat pants and tops these days. He will wear any color as long as it is "blue" :)