PDA

View Full Version : If you had a sprinkle (or second shower) did you register?

mommylamb
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
My mother and sister are going to throw a shower for me for DS2 (yes, I know some of you think that's uncouth, but none of my friends seem to keep that strictly to that level of etiquette, and I don't think anyone is offended by it). My children will be nearly 5 years apart, and while they're both boys, they are totally different seasons, so there are things I'll need this time that I didn't have last time. Plus, over the years some things have been lent out and may not be in the best condition and/or we've had to get rid of some things just for lack of storage. With the exception of family and one or two close friends, the people who are being invited are all people that I didn't know at the time of my last shower, and it will be a small group.

That said, I don't need very much, and really see this as more of a celebration of DS2 than anything else. I'm lucky that friends will also let me borrow some things, so really there are only a limited number of things I will need.

I was thinking of not registering, because I feel a little awkward about it. But on the other hand, I know friends will probably want to give a small gift. But maybe I should just let them get whatever they want (I assume clothes, since DS2 will be a late winter baby and DS1 was a summer baby). Would you register?

KLD313
11-21-2011, 09:42 PM
My friend had a girls luncheon for her second baby, a second boy less than two years after her first. She registered but didnt include that info with the invitation. I brought a gift purchased off her registry and if she didn't have the lunch I still would have given a gift. So, I don't think there is anything wrong with registering.

edurnemk
11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm considering it. Especially if this baby is a girl. Also, around here the tradition seems to be a diaper shower for second babies, but we CD, so I may register for some CD's since some of my stash needs renewing.

I've been to several second baby showers/sprinkles. My cousin just had one last year, her kids were 4 years apart and different gender, she registered for a few items and mostly girl clothes, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that.

ETA: I forgot to mention, in my case, when I had DS we lived like 3000 miles away from family, and so I didn't have a shower with family and close friends (I did have a small one with friends from the city we lived in back then, but not even my mom could make it), so this time my BFFs from HS and college and my mom are dying to throw a real shower for me.

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2011, 11:10 PM
No, no one bought me gifts like that. Everyone brought something small like an outfit, toiletries or books and then chipped in for a new (fancy) diaper bag. But, if I were having a shower, an official shower vs the sprinkle, Id' register. No real harm and it will give them and you some direction.

Beth

jerigirl
11-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I wasn't going to but my friends kept asking me where I was registered so obviously they didn't seem to think it was uncouth. Even if you don't publicise it, you might consider registering just to make returns easier.

hoodlims
11-21-2011, 11:19 PM
I think it'd be ok since yours are so far apart. I mean, you probably need quite a few things again, don't you? It really only bothers me when people who have babies close together and the same sex register.

AngB
11-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Register for the completion discounts at least and just only tell people who ask. Or if you don't want to mess with it, then that's okay too.

g-mama
11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I think a second (or more) shower/sprinkle should really be more casual and more a celebration of the new baby, not a showering of gifts for the mom who needs a bunch of stuff. I would not register.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I registered at BRU and BuyBuyBaby. My kiddos are close in age but my 2nd was a girl and I had had a boy first. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you had relatively inexpensive stuff on there. i

I didn't register for anything major since I already had all the gear like bouncers, swings, arms reach cosleeper, nursing pillow and whatnot. I mainly registered for girly clothes, crib sheets and nursery decor. It was mostly a list for me to keep track of new things i wanted to get for DD...also It was also for family (all live out of town), since they kept asking what kind of stuff I wanted. I didn't really expect to get stuff that was on the registry (and I didn't really with my first either).

eta: my shower was too also a small group, and i too saw it more of a celebration of having a new baby versus "this is my chance to get stuff i need".

MommyAllison
11-21-2011, 11:37 PM
I did not register for DS' shower (no shower w/DD2). When people asked, I gave them general ideas (board books, rattle type toys, boy hooded towels & blankets 'cause ours were all pink). I found that I got a lot more handmade gifts that time, which was really special.

Uno-Mom
11-22-2011, 12:30 AM
I would absolutely register and only tell people who go out of their way to ask. I firmly believe in etiquette but manners are only manners if the people in your personal little society agree on them. Does that make sense? If I were having a 2nd any time soon, I know friends at work (many single and haven't had kids) would want to have a party to celebrate. They would all hope we registered because they would want to get something we needed... And they wouldn't feel ok about guessing! In that context, making a wish list feels like the most considerate thing to do.

Now, if my social group was made up of a group of folks who knew about traditional shower etiquette and/or enjoyed making personal gifts...I absolutely wouldn't register because there was no social need to.

Honestly, my favorite shower first time around was at work - dh and I subtly hinted that what we would love was for people to share their most beloved childhood book. That was most of the presents and rather than play silly shower games, dh read all the books aloud to the group! It was such a fun and touching party, with everyone sharing childhood memories.

mskitty
11-22-2011, 01:16 AM
I was thinking of not registering, because I feel a little awkward about it. But on the other hand, I know friends will probably want to give a small gift. But maybe I should just let them get whatever they want (I assume clothes, since DS2 will be a late winter baby and DS1 was a summer baby). Would you register?

Yes, I would. I did a small registry at Target. Nearly all of it was diapers, wipes, bath wash, lotion, nursing supplies, etc. I threw in a handful of fun things as well (travel Gentle Giraffe, cute socks, a few new bibs). The ladies at church had a small shower for me. They tend to be very strong registry users so it was critical as we have strong brand preferences due to allergies. Likewise, they had a small shower for me at work. First baby coworker shower had big group gift items like a high chair and pack 'n play. Second baby coworker shower had big group gift items like huge boxes of diapers!

mskitty

elephantmeg
11-22-2011, 01:39 AM
I did and people asked me where I was registered

MSWR0319
11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Register for the completion discounts at least and just only tell people who ask. Or if you don't want to mess with it, then that's okay too.

:yeahthat:

I'm registering just to get the discounts, goody bags, etc. I do t see anything buying anything from there for me, but at least I get the discounts. I'd definitely register if you're having a shower. You don't have to tell them, but they might look or ask.

Melaine
11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I have already started an Amazon registry, just to keep track of stuff I want to buy and prices. I doubt I will get a shower of any kind, but if anyone asks about a registry I would certainly tell them about it, probably mentioning I created it for my own reference. Like pp mentioned, there are also registry discounts and coupons and I'm all about getting any of those.

daisymommy
11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
In my area, and circle of friends from church, we give a shower for every baby...even number 4 :) It's just always been done that way. And people always register too. So yes, I do. It just makes shopping easier for the guests.

I think I would ask around and see what is typical for your area and group of friends, because I know protocol varies widely, and our norm is not at all the norm for others.

vonfirmath
11-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I didn't expect a shower with my second at all and I still registered in order to get the %off coupons and to get on the freebie lists.

luckytwenty
11-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I had a surprise sprinkle for my middle child, a girl born 2.5 years after my son. I had put a few things on a BRU registry, but everyone got me girl clothes. However, after she was born, our out-of-town friends and family got me gifts from the registry.

My third baby was born five years later and had a work full-blown shower with 60 people, and registered for a lot of stuff--all practical stuff--and got it all. My coworkers completely depleted the registry. Friends also threw me a "sprinkle" and I wish I'd added some things to the registry, because there was nothing left at that point!

citymama
11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Technically yes, but I didn't share it. I registered on diapers.com only so I could buy myself stuff and have it shipped for free with 10% off (their promo at the time for new registrants). All of their registry purchases ship free, and after your due date, you can buy off your registry with 10% off. This was before amazon Mom and free Prime shipping entered my life, so the free ship on all orders really mattered. The only person I shared my registry with was my sister, who didn't buy off it.

lowrioh
11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I have already started an Amazon registry, just to keep track of stuff I want to buy and prices. I doubt I will get a shower of any kind, but if anyone asks about a registry I would certainly tell them about it, probably mentioning I created it for my own reference. Like pp mentioned, there are also registry discounts and coupons and I'm all about getting any of those.

That is exactly what I did. I always keep a wish list going in Amazon anyway.

BabyBearsMom
11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Technically yes, but I didn't share it. I registered on diapers.com only so I could buy myself stuff and have it shipped for free with 10% off (their promo at the time for new registrants). All of their registry purchases ship free, and after your due date, you can buy off your registry with 10% off. This was before amazon Mom and free Prime shipping entered my life, so the free ship on all orders really mattered. The only person I shared my registry with was my sister, who didn't buy off it.

:yeahthat:I have a private registry on Amazon, mostly just to track what I know I need to buy for DD2. You can add people to the list of viewers if you want (currently DH and I are the only viewers).

I think that if there are things you need, you should register. If there isn't really anything to register for, you could have the hostess tell people that you need summer clothes in Newborn and 0-3 months and diapers if they ask.

mommylamb
11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok, here's a related question: What are the registry discounts with Amazon? I would either do Amazon or do Buy Buy Baby. We have a Buy Buy Baby very near by and I'm a big fan of their customer service, so I like to spend my money there (as opposed to BRU, which is actually even closer to me, but I almost never go to because I find their customer service to be lacking and their return policy to be horrendous).

Anyone familiar with the registry completion discounts at either of these?

I also need to really think about what I actually need, as so much of what I need I can borrow from friends. I know I want to get all new bottles, a miracle blanket, a snuzzler (which I never had with DS because he was born in the summer), and a new stroller (which I assume I"ll buy myself, but getting a registry discount would be great). A lot of other stuff that I need I can get from friends (moby wrap, breast friend pillow have been offered already).

mommylamb
11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I think that if there are things you need, you should register. If there isn't really anything to register for, you could have the hostess tell people that you need summer clothes in Newborn and 0-3 months and diapers if they ask.

Ok, I'll tell the hostess that :D.

elektra
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I felt similarly but went ahead and registered. I just did a few things that were newer- Aden and Anais blankets, and a few other more boyish items. I think it ended up being helpful for some folks who still wanted to get me something but had no idea what to get.

AnnieW625
11-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I registered for DD2 and didn't have a sprinkle or shower. It was more of just a list for myself, but I wanted to have that option open just in case people wanted to get me something. I registered at BRUS, Target, and Amazon.