PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a color for the nursery

BabyBearsMom
11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
We just found out that we are having DD2 :bighand: I am trying to pick a color for her room. Pink is NMS. DD1's room is light purple and I want DD2's room to be different. Yellow won't work because the hallway is yellow and if the colors weren't exactly right, it would drive me insane. A lot of the other rooms in our house are light green (my favorite color) and DH says that it is starting to look overwhelmingly green...although I think a green nursery would be darling :rotflmao:

What other colors? Peach? Creamsicle?

elbenn
11-22-2011, 02:58 PM
There was a recent thread about blue for a girl's nursery. You might look for that thread for ideas.

weech
11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I vote orange!

flashy09
11-22-2011, 03:20 PM
What about a light pretty green? Behr makes one called Mountain Haze that is really refreshing but not "bright". If you want darker Restful (behr) is also really nice

BDKmom
11-22-2011, 03:31 PM
What about something in the coral/salmon range? Not traditional pink, but still fairly girly. Or a silvery gray? I had a powder room painted Manhattan Mist (pretty sure it was Behr), and it was cool because it changed tone depending on what color accessories I put with it.

ETA: Or maybe teal or turquiose? I was looking at some cute bedding with those colors.

crl
11-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I say blue! I love blue, so pretty and calming. If we end up buying a house anytime soon, I am going to do a blue room for my toddler dd.

If you like yellow you could paint from the same paint strip as the hallway, just go up or down one or two chips and it should look right together. My ds' nursery was yellow with a pale blue ceiling with clouds painted on it. :love-retry:

Catherine

Nicsmom
11-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Love blue, and you can do blue-gray, or blue green. Blue with any accent color looks beautiful.

My favorite blue - glass slipper by Benjamin Moore

hoodlims
11-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Your house sounds like mine. A lot of light green and yellow. This time we went for a change and did Valspar Sparkling Lake from Lowe's. http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/89812_Valspar-5002-3B-Sparkling-Lake

We are having a surprise gender baby and I think it is a perfect color for either sex. A greenish blue that can be accented with pink, red, purple, green, yellow, anything!

In fact, it looked so good in our house that 3 of our friends also picked up the color and painted rooms in their house the same thing. It is soothing, yet vibrant.

SnuggleBuggles
11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
I did periwinkle for ds2's room . It is on the girlie side- we didn't know what we were having and I just liked the color. It is one of the Laura Ashley paints from Lowe's- Sapphire, I believe. I love it. :)

Beth

hoodlims
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Here is another picture of Sparkling Lake, in real life http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckayvb/3289138494/

YouAreTheFocus
11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I vote orange!

:yeahthat: I second orange! I love our son's orange nursery. I didn't want it to scream boy, overall it is totally gender-neutral.

acmom
11-23-2011, 09:42 PM
We recently moved and painted my daughter's room light blue. It turned out great- we both love it! And it goes really well with her white furniture and lots of different accent colors.

TxCat
11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
We did a light blue with some gray undertones in my DD's room and I LOVE it - so calm and soothing, but when the morning light hits, it is very sunny and bright and cheery - like blue sky overhead. Benjamin Moore Sweet Bluette.

amldaley
11-30-2011, 10:25 PM
We had an office/guest room that we did in a super pale, watery green. It was so fresh and clean and peaceful.

I also like this color that is becoming popular that is sort of a grayish purple.

Me, personally, I would avoid red and orange as they are not restful, peaceful colors. They are energizing colors.

ETA: You could do a khaki, greige or taupe and do pink accents.

lizzywednesday
12-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Our DD's nursery is orange; the paint is Behr but the color name is "Canteloupe" from Benjamin Moore.

I <3 it, though with her white furniture & the white closet doors & trim, it looked quite like a CreamSicle 'til we decorated!

When we go to sell, I'm planning to re-paint it either a peach or a flax color.

amldaley
12-14-2011, 03:48 PM
While I love all the design possibilities of bright colors, I followed some color psychology when picking colors.

Red and orange are stimulating colors. I want DC's rooms to be soothing.

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/a/colorpsych.htm

wimama
12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I am with you on picking soothing colors for bedrooms. We picked a light robins egg blue for our nursery. I picked the color because I liked it, I found it soothing, it tied into some of he accessories from DS old nursery and it worked well with a print I wanted for the nursery.

babychi
12-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Light blue! We just painted DD's big girl room in Sherwin Williams "Icelandic Blue" and her bedding is blue and pink floral (shabby chic look) with white furniture. It is so cute and soothing without being too pink and girly.

sarahparker
01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
I vote for sky blue..

Melaine
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
What about something in the coral/salmon range? Not traditional pink, but still fairly girly. Or a silvery gray? I had a powder room painted Manhattan Mist (pretty sure it was Behr), and it was cool because it changed tone depending on what color accessories I put with it.

ETA: Or maybe teal or turquiose? I was looking at some cute bedding with those colors.

I love the idea of silvery-grey (my first thought) and also teal/turqoise.

DietCokeLover
01-12-2012, 01:12 PM
DD's room was light blue. It was so pretty with white trim, white furniture and pink French toille bedding linens.

BabyBearsMom
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Update: We are painting this weekend. We decided to paint the room a light mocha-latte kind of color. All of the accents in the room are chocolate brown or light pink. I think it will be really cute.

smiles33
01-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Sounds really cute! Would love to see the "after" photos! Plus, it's a color that can transition as DD2 grows up just by changing accessories. I dread having to repaint DD2's room as I painted it a warm yellow and I can't imagine a teenager liking that color. Sigh.

caffeinedreams
01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
That sounds really pretty!

cbscherer
03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
We just found out that we are having DD2 :bighand: I am trying to pick a color for her room. Pink is NMS. DD1's room is light purple and I want DD2's room to be different. Yellow won't work because the hallway is yellow and if the colors weren't exactly right, it would drive me insane. A lot of the other rooms in our house are light green (my favorite color) and DH says that it is starting to look overwhelmingly green...although I think a green nursery would be darling :rotflmao:

What other colors? Peach? Creamsicle?

We did the PBK jacqueline bedding set for my DD and I still love it. Blue/periwinkles/greens, with a light, light bluish purple wall (I think the color was Valspar Gossamer Wings). They also had twin and full/queen quilts in the pattern so transitioning to a big girl room was easy. It's not available in stores anymore, but you can find both new and used all the time on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pottery-Barn-Kids-JACQUELINE-Blue-Crib-Complete-Set-NEW-/360201377608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ddacd748

angiesscripts
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Sounds pretty! You'll have to link some pics when it's done!