PDA

View Full Version : Can you read upside-down?

Twoboos
11-22-2011, 09:34 PM
DD1 brought home the book, "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?" from the library the other day.

There are a few pages where the writing is upside-down. I just read the pages. DD was surprised I could do it. I never really thought about it but I guess it's weird.

DH mentioned I could read upside down to DD2's teacher and she asked if I was a teacher. LOL!

GvilleGirl
11-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I felt like I spent most of my day reading upside down when I was teaching.

lisa928
11-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Another amazing ability we have....

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Green_Tea
11-22-2011, 09:52 PM

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

OK, that's really cool!

KrisM
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Very cool! And amazingly easy to read!

Twoboos
11-22-2011, 10:03 PM

This explains why I can always read DDs phonetic spellings!! :rotflmao:

hellokitty
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
I can read upside down fairly well (no, I'm not a teacher), BUT I cannot read numbers upside down. I got irritated today while trying to buy milk, and thinking that the exp date was 12-02-11. Well, when I took down the carton and looked at it the right side up, I realized it said 12-20-11, lol. So, I can't do numbers.

maestramommy
11-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I can do it, but it takes some effort. But I have a friend who while she occasionally has issues with dyslexia, can read upside down with very little effort. Very interesting, that.

srkaplan
11-22-2011, 10:23 PM
I've always been able to easily read upside down.

KDsMommy
11-22-2011, 10:27 PM
yep, no problem...but i spent several years as a kindergarten teacher too. LOTS of upside-down reading there!

oneplustwo
11-22-2011, 10:29 PM

That is just way cool. Hah, and now I feel a smidge smarter than my computer, which is putting a red squiggly mark under almost every word in the quote as I type this ~ clearly the computer can't figure it out.

I can't wait to show this to the kids tomorrow.

As to the original question, I can read upside down long enough to get through the average picture book.

almostamom
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I can. I am a teacher, but I don't know that I'm any better at it than anyone else. It does come in handy in class though.

happymom
11-23-2011, 12:11 AM
I can read upside down long enough to get through the average picture book.

:yeahthat:. A weirder thing that I can do is write sentences backwards- starting from the last letter and working my way forward to the first. Not a very useful ability but DH thinks its amazing and tells random people about this. :ROTFLMAO:

elizabethkott
11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I can absolutely read upside down.
I do also have a moderate form of dyslexia... Don't know if that factors into it or not.
Specifically, my dyslexia messes things up vertically- I used to reverse the numerator and denominator with fractions all the time, and I frequently confuse b for p or d for q when writing quickly.

MamaMolly
11-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Another former teacher who can do it. I can also write upside down, but only Zaner-Bloser handwriting style ;)

lizzywednesday
11-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I can read upside down and used to be able to write upside down as well.

My friend and I used to sit in a vertical row in our high school Drama class and write notes this way. (He sat in front of me & we'd write notes on the top margins of my notebook.)

I kind of look at it like learning how to write with my left hand (I'm right-side dominant) - something that could come in handy should I ever need it.