PDA

View Full Version : Clogs - style yay or nay?

Trigglet
11-22-2011, 11:40 PM
So, what say you in the great clog debate? I have been battling indecision about a new pair of fall/winter shoes (don't want Merrels, Keens or Tevas) that are going to be super comfy, but have a bit of interest. I've abortively tried a pair of Aerosoles (reminded me of a pair my ninety year old grandmother had!), and am awaiting an ebay purchase of a pair of Birkenstock Paris. But in the meantime I'm trying to work out whether clogs are a step too far (sorry).

I mean no offense to clog wearers on the boards, it's just a personal style thing. I'm not sure if I can pull them off and still feel myself KWIM? I don't know if closed backs make the difference, or if it's all just splitting hairs.

I love :heartbeat: these:
http://a2.zassets.com/images/z/1/4/0/1401382-p-DETAILED.jpg

but they're not really the practical clog I was supposed to be looking at!

So, are you a clog wearer/lover/hater/other? Poll coming...

abh5e8
11-22-2011, 11:56 PM
well, i voted practical, as for work i need something comfortable. i wear they with casual pants (work is business casual) and also with wool pencil skirts and tights. they are the dansko professionals...i might have them in 2 colors. :)

for work, i think they are a good look, but i agree...not the cutest thing out there.

hellokitty
11-23-2011, 12:02 AM
I love clogs! Yes, fashionistas think that they are unstylish, but they are comfy and stylish in a funky kind of way, that says that you don't care what other ppl think AND you are smart enough to treat your feet right! :D

arivecchi
11-23-2011, 12:08 AM
I :heartbeat: my cole haan clogs. They are like these but in a caramel color:

http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/COLE-HAAN-JIANNA-BLACK-SHEARLING-CLOG-WOMEN-SIZE-11-B-/290406049327

I like heeled and wedge clogs. Not in love with the more utalitarian clogs but they definitely work well for a lot of people.

Eta: I had been eyeing these: http://www.zappos.com/ugg-gweneth-chestnut-suede

mjmamma
11-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Where's the 'Yes I love clogs!" answer? I love clogs! Some of them are damn cute (and ugly too but I don't wear those).

pinkmomagain
11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Where's the 'Yes I love clogs!" answer? I love clogs! Some of them are damn cute (and ugly too but I don't wear those).

I feel the exact same way. Didn't vote because this wasn't an option.

mommylamb
11-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I tend to be anti clog in general, but the ones in the picture above are quite cute actually, IMO.

g-mama
11-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I am pretty anti-clog, but I like the fab ones arivecchi linked to, esp the second Ugg pair. Those are the kind of clog I could get down with. Utilitarian types? No. I like to have comfy feet as much as the next gal, but I refuse to accept that I can't have stylish and comfy shoes all in one pair. I just keep looking til I find them and I always do.

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I voted fugly but I didn't look at your pic. I was thinking strictly of the utilitarian Dansko ones.

Beth

TwinFoxes
11-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm firmly anti-clog. :) Some are cuter than others, but they are just NMS. I'm with g-mama, comfortable does not have to equal fugly. in fact, I don't even find clogs comfy, my heel always slides off to the side when I try them on, and I don't want my shoe to be open in the back in cold weather, and to me clogs are cold weather shoes.

scriptkitten
11-23-2011, 10:15 AM
clogs have been very fashion forward for a few seasons now. they go with the current wide leg jean, bohemian vibe.

arivecchi
11-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I wear my cole haan lined ones all winter long! Love that my feet don't have to roast if I am just running errands or going to the movies and they are SO comfy! Try them twin foxes! :)

I do agree with gmama that there are cute fashionable clogs and some fugly ones. They are not all fugly.

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
I would just rather find different shoes than clogs even if there are some fashionable ones out there. I try and keep a firm anti clog line. :)

Beth

Green_Tea
11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I wear Dansko clogs almost every day. I know they are not loved here as a fashion forward choice, but I have VERY small feet (between a 4 and a 4.5) and my casual, everyday shoe options are quite limited. Dankso 35s fit me perfectly. They are comfortable, and they give me a 2 inch height boost (I am 4'11" in my bare feet). I wear them with boot cut jeans and cords, never skirts or dresses - I am not a fan of clunky shoes with skirts and dresses.

If I had a normal shoe size, I would be all over cuter shoes. But it is extremely difficult for me to find shoes that fit, and the manufacturers that do make super small shoes often cater to the AARP crowd and/or charge a huge premium. People always tell me I am "so lucky" because I can shop in the kid's department. Well, kids shoes don't really look quite right on an adult, even the cute ones. And they often lack the proper support. So yeah, I love my Danskos. I gravitate to the plainer ones - no embroidery or crazy glitter. I have them in cordovan cabrio, antiqued brown oiled and black patent. My jeans cover much of the tops. I think they look fine, and work nicely with the casual clothes I wear.

TwinFoxes
11-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I wear my cole haan lined ones all winter long! Love that my feet don't have to roast if I am just running errands or going to the movies and they are SO comfy! Try them twin foxes! :)

I don't think I can remember a time when my feet have roasted. I am one of those people with ice blocks for feet and hands. :(

MontrealMum
11-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Put me down in the "I love clogs" camp. I have a pair of Frye clogs that I love and wear throughout the fall and spring. They're great with bootcut or wideleg jeans. But I think it really depends on your style. I tend towards the artsy, boho look.

mjmamma
11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I have brown patent leather Danskos and think they look super cute with my jeans. I have tons of other comfortable shoes shoes but just like these much more than those standard suede Uggs everyone wears! But I can see why women who often wear black heeled boots would not agree, but they're just another shoe option, why limit ourselves :)

mommytoC
11-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I wear Dansko clogs almost everyday, like Green_Tea, though I'm at the other end of the shoe size spectrum. In a size 11 (42), I'm not sure they're any uglier
than other shoes :). I love them with bootcut pants...heck, I even love them (the more "stylish" (IMO) Sausalito ones) with cropped pants and skirts. Putting bag over head now :bag.

Trigglet
11-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Who knew clogs would be such a divisive issue!! :hysterical:

Yes, I admit I should have put an 'I love clogs and I'm proud of it' option, and perhaps that speaks to my underlying prejudice on the issue! I'm starting to think, though, that it's like other kinds of clothing items (poncho, anyone?) - some people can swing it, and some just can't get on board. I think I may have to just order a whole bunch (including the ones in my picture in the OP!) and see what I can make of the whole business.

I admit I'm also not a fan of the clunky shoe with skirt look - and DH positively hates that particular combo (not that I dress exclusively for my DH, but I'd never hear the end of it!), mind you he also claims not to understand the bootie with dress combination either - despite my blue lovelies from Anthro :shrug:

I do like the look of the Cole Haan and Ugg ones in your links, Arrivechi.

Melbel
11-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I have a pair of Cole Haan tan clogs that I absolutely love. Everyone thinks they are boots when worn with jeans, but they are much cooler to wear in a warmer climate. They are so comfortable, even with a higher heel. I tend to like clogs that have a pointier, boot like tow rather than the Dansko look.

brittone2
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
I wear Dansko clogs almost every day. I know they are not loved here as a fashion forward choice, but I have VERY small feet (between a 4 and a 4.5) and my casual, everyday shoe options are quite limited. Dankso 35s fit me perfectly. They are comfortable, and they give me a 2 inch height boost (I am 4'11" in my bare feet). I wear them with boot cut jeans and cords, never skirts or dresses - I am not a fan of clunky shoes with skirts and dresses.

If I had a normal shoe size, I would be all over cuter shoes. But it is extremely difficult for me to find shoes that fit, and the manufacturers that do make super small shoes often cater to the AARP crowd and/or charge a huge premium. People always tell me I am "so lucky" because I can shop in the kid's department. Well, kids shoes don't really look quite right on an adult, even the cute ones. And they often lack the proper support. So yeah, I love my Danskos. I gravitate to the plainer ones - no embroidery or crazy glitter. I have them in cordovan cabrio, antiqued brown oiled and black patent. My jeans cover much of the tops. I think they look fine, and work nicely with the casual clothes I wear.

I could have written this almost exactly!!!! I am 5'3" or so and have a women's sz 4 foot. It is nearly impossible to find shoes. Nordstrom has some good options. There is one small shoe catalog that I have ordered from but the selection is totally lacking and the quality IME is less than stellar. Naturalizer has some small options but they can border on granny in many styles. I also find kid shoes to be not quite right (or the vamp digs into the top of my foot as they are cut for a kid, not an adult. Kid boots are too short in the shaft, etc. The small shoe catalog has some decent stuff, but many of the styles are still "off" to my eye in terms of style).

I have a pair if dankso marcelles that I wear with jeans. I don't consider them the height of fashion LOL, but they work for my day to day lifestyle (whereas heels do not, although I enjoy a good pair of heels too). I can wear a women's 5 in boots, so that gives me *some* options this time of the year. I have a few nice pairs of boots thankfully. I struggle w/ shoes immensely because I really have few options in my size. And yes, a dansko 35 fits me well. I wear them at home and on errands with the kids with my smartwool socks (the horror!).

I like my danskos. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good pair of heels or a great pair of fashionable boots.

We small footed girls have a tough time building a shoe wardrobe, believe me!

Green_Tea
11-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I have a pair if dankso marcelles that I wear with jeans. I don't consider them the height of fashion LOL, but they work for my day to day lifestyle (whereas heels do not, although I enjoy a good pair of heels too). I can wear a women's 5 in boots, so that gives me *some* options this time of the year. I have a few nice pairs of boots thankfully. I struggle w/ shoes immensely because I really have few options in my size. And yes, a dansko 35 fits me well. I wear them at home and on errands with the kids with my smartwool socks (the horror!).

We were obviously separated at birth. :rotflmao:

brittone2
11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
We were obviously separated at birth. :rotflmao:
LOL :D

We gotta stick together with our Danskos and small feet ;)

BayGirl2
11-23-2011, 08:58 PM
I think even the Dansko ones are cute. But in my area that look is very popular and fashionable, at least form what i see out and about.

bandgsmama
11-23-2011, 11:55 PM
i've had a pair of frye clogs for 10 years now & still :heartbeat: them.

what are those shoes in the pic? super cute!

Trigglet
11-24-2011, 12:22 AM
i've had a pair of frye clogs for 10 years now & still :heartbeat: them.

what are those shoes in the pic? super cute!

They're the Sanita Tory - love them, but trying to decide if I need another pair of heels when what I really need is a pair of everyday comfortable shoes :D.